Gibson Brands Forums

Music IS what it used to be....

Murph

Very nice, this was exactly what I was going to post in that other thread but that seems to have raveled into something else. Music is just as good as it ever was, it just has broken up into segments and only lowest common denominator sounds are what you hear turning the dial. Everything else takes a little effort. I've actually been turned on to a TON of great artists by listening to online radio, I like last fm and spotify but I'm sure pandora is ok, and using an artist I really like as the seed to the radio station. Let's lets the dumb people have their Katy Perrys and show more support for artist like Sara Watkins. That allows for a more intimate show and a better experience. When I saw her live I was standing right next to her during the opener, then got to hand her bassist $20 cash for the vinyl, which I'm sure she appreciates while touring more than getting 1000000 spotify or YouTube plays at $.003 cents per play

Very nice, this was exactly what I was going to post in that other thread but that seems to have raveled into something else. Music is just as good as it ever was, it just has broken up into segments and only lowest common denominator sounds are what you hear turning the dial. Everything else takes a little effort. I've actually been turned on to a TON of great artists by listening to online radio, I like last fm and spotify but I'm sure pandora is ok, and using an artist I really like as the seed to the radio station. Let's lets the dumb people have their Katy Perrys and show more support for artist like Sara Watkins. That allows for a more intimate show and a better experience. When I saw her live I was standing right next to her during the opener, then got to hand her bassist $20 cash for the vinyl, which I'm sure she appreciates while touring more than getting 1000000 spotify or YouTube plays at $.003 cents per play

Good post

some of sentiments are held with in. The lowest common denominator says it all imo.

PM seems to think just cos ' the kids ' are into it..its cool...thats b0llox as we know ;)

come on PM ..lets be havin ya

Good post

some of sentiments are held with in. The lowest common denominator says it all imo.

PM seems to think just cos ' the kids ' are into it..its cool...thats b0llox as we know ;)

come on PM ..lets be havin ya

You need to take yer opportunities where ye find them, sunshine... I nigh on baited in the other thread, tried to liven the board up a wee bit... hardly a sausage.

The sad thing about music today is that you have to search for the good music. Usually, the radio will not bring good results, but "Thank God" for the internet. Without it, it's highly unlikely we would ever hear about Sara Watkins or any other artist who performs music with stripped-down and even a Spartan accompaniment. This young woman and the other artists similar to her in style, technique are in total contrast to what propels most of the music industry today. In an era where mainstream country artists are rapping and using hip-hop rhythms, artists like Sara Watkins give hope that folk, old time, roots, traditional, Americana etc. will survive.

The sad thing about music today is that you have to search for the good music. Usually, the radio will not bring good results, but "Thank God" for the internet. Without it, it's highly unlikely we would ever hear about Sara Watkins or any other artist who performs music with stripped-down and even a Spartan accompaniment. This young woman and the other artists similar to her in style, technique are in total contrast to what propels most of the music industry today. In an era where mainstream country artists are rapping and using hip-hop rhythms, artists like Sara Watkins give hope that folk, old time, roots, traditional, Americana etc. will survive.

The other side of the internet coin, which has created the scene where only the dumbest of pop hits the mainstream, is that it's also never been easier to produce music and get it out to the audience that's into your style. The 1920s and 30s had the most talented people playing music because there was a single national medium (radio) to showcase that talent. I'm sure there were thousands of amazing artists that just picked at a barn dance or church who we will never hear because they weren't able to make a commercial hit that got them on the radio in the 20-30s. Today those people have a huge leg up in terms of exposure win the likes of YouTube and soundcloud. Sara Watkins is exceptional in that she's been doing bluegrass since she was five, and her band nickel creek was a hit in bluegrass circles in the cd era. Now going solo, she makes full use of the internet, posting stuff on Facebook and recording her monthly show in LA as a podcast.

No sense porch-rocking with talk about how the best days are behind us- go out and find the people still doing great things. Life moves in one direction- forward.

Archived