Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone in Indonesia...Samick?

old mark

I read some time ago that Samick, based in Korea, had opened a plant or plants in Indonesia to make guitars...are Indonesian-made Epiphones made by Samick, even indirectly?

I have several Epiohone acoustics and I just ordered an Epiphone Wilshire '66 re-issue that I see is made in Indonesia...FWIW, the Epi acoustics I have are first rate guitars, equal to some I have played that cost 4 and 5 TIMES the Epi sale price...(I own 3 of them right now...) I also have owned several 1990's Samick Artist Series guitars...and I still own one of their jazz guitars in that series, and THEY are also first rate guitars.

Is there again a Samick/Epiphone connection? Did it ever really go away?

This is just curiosity on my part...

Thanks.

mark

• 2 years later...

I read some time ago that Samick, based in Korea, had opened a plant or plants in Indonesia to make guitars...are Indonesian-made Epiphones made by Samick, even indirectly?

I have several Epiohone acoustics and I just ordered an Epiphone Wilshire '66 re-issue that I see is made in Indonesia...FWIW, the Epi acoustics I have are first rate guitars, equal to some I have played that cost 4 and 5 TIMES the Epi sale price...(I own 3 of them right now...) I also have owned several 1990's Samick Artist Series guitars...and I still own one of their jazz guitars in that series, and THEY are also first rate guitars.

Is there again a Samick/Epiphone connection? Did it ever really go away?

This is just curiosity on my part...

Thanks.

mark

My newest acquisition is an Epiphone made by Samick in their Indonesian factory - where their Masterbilts are made now.

Yes, Mark, the Indonesia factory is Samick. The Indo guitars are really good...especially the fretwork. China seems to still be having problems with the upper register for some reason. Too many are coming out of Qingdao needing to be leveled.

I have owned several Samick Artist Series guitars AND one of my older Epiphones - my Sheraton II - is Samick made. I have NEVER had a "bad" guitar that came from Samick.

And I just bought a brand new Quingdao made ES335 Pro that I will take to my guitar tech for a fret level and polish in the next few months...Very close but needs improvement. Other than that, an incredible guitar!

Yes, Mark, the Indonesia factory is Samick. The Indo guitars are really good...especially the fretwork. China seems to still be having problems with the upper register for some reason. Too many are coming out of Qingdao needing to be leveled.

I did have to do some fret leveling to achieve the action I go for on the Sherry PRO II I picked on late last year.

The factory action is a bit high for my liking.

I also have a Swingster Royal (White) that I guess came from this plant too, got that one back in 2012. no real complaints on that one. they are both pretty good Epi's considerin..

• 4 years later...

I've recently purchased a 2020 Hummingbird Performer Pro from my local Guitar Center (South Chicago, Illinois, USA) and I've recently searched the serial at it comes from Samick - May 2020. The most beautiful limited edition Hummingbird I've ever seen...HOWEVER... I cannot find this exact model anywhere online - and I mean anywhere! Not even Guitar Center's website...you know...the place I bought it from? I receive Epiphone emails all the time featuring new guitars and lines but...this guitar does not "exist" ... it's a mystery wonder. Love to know more details on it - seriously. 

13 hours ago, AJM27 said:

I've recently purchased a 2020 Hummingbird Performer Pro from my local Guitar Center (South Chicago, Illinois, USA) and I've recently searched the serial at it comes from Samick - May 2020. The most beautiful limited edition Hummingbird I've ever seen...HOWEVER... I cannot find this exact model anywhere online - and I mean anywhere! Not even Guitar Center's website...you know...the place I bought it from? I receive Epiphone emails all the time featuring new guitars and lines but...this guitar does not "exist" ... it's a mystery wonder. Love to know more details on it - seriously. 

I'm not sure what you want to know. You've just bought it. You know what it is, how old it is and who made it.  

Epiphone should be able to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, AJM27 said:

2020 Hummingbird Pro..... Info

front-banner-1600_900.png