Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Hummingbird & a Few Questions

jw3571

So I just picked up this new Hummingbird, my fears were eased, It sounds pretty sweet to me, much different than my Taylor 618fe. I have a few questions:

1. The action seems fairly high down around the 12th fret, is this typical Gibson? Does anyone know what the factory sets the action at?

2. Does anyone know what strings come on these, I believe they are 12's and I would assume they are Gibson, but are they PB or 80/20's, i'd like to put fresh strings on.

3. What usually comes with new Gibson acoustics in the case? All I got was a warranty card, is this normal?

Very nice, and like I said on that other forum, whack on a set of PB's to get the real nectar Bird tone, 80/20's down right kill it. With the set up, in my experience the action was just right, but if its high or truss rod needs tweaking just adjust it, no big deal.

Enjoy the most unique guitar in the world.

Strings are probably the Masterbuilt Premium 12-53.

Regarding action, take it to an expert and tell him what you after.

You can also fiddle a little with some saddle-sanding - a good way to get closer to the guitar.

Besides all the playing that will make you fly a long time forward - I hope.

http://www.sheltonsg...irdDSCN8772.jpg

Isn't there supposed to be a case-key. . .

So I just picked up this new Hummingbird, my fears were eased, It sounds pretty sweet to me, much different than my Taylor 618fe. I have a few questions:

1. The action seems fairly high down around the 12th fret, is this typical Gibson? Does anyone know what the factory sets the action at?

Gibson Owner's Information Guide

2. Does anyone know what strings come on these, I believe they are 12's and I would assume they are Gibson, but are they PB or 80/20's, i'd like to put fresh strings on.

Masterbuilt PB 80/20 assuming it's got the factory strings and that Gibson used what they said they use.

I agree with EA that the PB's sound the best on it:

Masterbuilt Premium PB (don't be alarmed, they sound terrible right out of the bag. Give them a day or so to settle in then they get better for quite awhile.)

I am playing with some DR Sunbeams that I like, but they sound more Taylor-ish. Good strings though.

3. What usually comes with new Gibson acoustics in the case? All I got was a warranty card, is this normal?

See Em7's picture. My 2010 bird came with the skinny gold warranty book and a skinny gold "Owner's Manual" with a white "Gibson Acoustic Final Checklist" tip-in. I think all the new MC cases do not have locks so there won't be a key with it.

Welcome to the 'bird family. I've had mine for three years now and it sounds better and better the longer I have it. Probably the most intrinsically rewarding purchase I've ever made.

FMA

I think all the new MC cases do not have locks so there won't be a key with it.

Right - the MC and Standard cases doesn't have locks - opposed to the TV's and Cali-girls. The latter even has 2.

"intrinsically" - wow, , , new word for me there - not sure I know what it means.

A setup makes all the difference. My local five star dealer set mine up when I bought it. They asked me very detailed questions.

Based on the picture of the guitar taken on the concrete outside, I am guessing you bought it from Jon at MFG? If so I am surprised he did not set it up, and ask you what action and strings you liked when you bought it.

The last two new Gibsons that I bought (within the last 6 weeks) had a set of Gibson strings (80/20), a leather Gibson-embossed keyring/pick holder and several Gibson picks in the accessory compartment. Plus, of course, the gold owner's manual and warranty book.

A setup makes all the difference. My local five star dealer set mine up when I bought it. They asked me very detailed questions.

Based on the picture of the guitar taken on the concrete outside, I am guessing you bought it from Jon at MFG? If so I am surprised he did not set it up, and ask you what action and strings you liked when you bought it.

Hey sal , very detailed questions ? You mean like ' what sort of stuff you play? 'And pick size etc....

You play similar stuff to me it seems , how's yours set up ? I'm guessing you like it low action and quite like an occassional string rattle ?

I almost got mine personally setup this summer and then my car broke down so I had no fun money left.

I'm reasonably happy with my set up , but understand the difference between a suit off the peg and one tailored.

One of these days .....

Hey sal , very detailed questions ? You mean like ' what sort of stuff you play? 'And pick size etc....

You play similar stuff to me it seems , how's yours set up ? I'm guessing you like it low action and quite like an occassional string rattle ?

I almost got mine personally setup this summer and then my car broke down so I had no fun money left.

I'm reasonably happy with my set up , but understand the difference between a suit off the peg and one tailored.

One of these days .....

BBG the stuff we like and play is very similar. My guitars are set up low action, and I love that low E rattle snake rattle. You bet. Dropped D and a little attack makes my guitar sound like its playing a soundtrack to a Clint Eastwood Western. Tumbleweeds appear in my house.

Thanks guys, I did get it at at MFG but they never asked about a set up.

No knock on MFG - I bought a Martin from him in the past. With Gibsons the rules are different. The setups vary a lot coming out of the factory (not so much with the Martins - most consumers love a Martin factory setup).

I think any Gibson dealer should be asking you how you play, how you like the action, and they should perform a setup for you before delivery. It makes the guitar. My guess is MFG will find this to be the case, and that selling Gibsons is a little different than selling Martins.

A pro set-up is essential!

Also, just because the folks on this board largely prefer .12s, you may find .13s or .11s to better suit your playing style.

Some say .13s choke the tone or are too difficult to play. .11s get criticized for not bringing out the tone -- but you may find you play better with a lighter string.

There's a lot to enjoy here. (Personally, the rotomatic tuners don't do much for me, but the Tulipsare sublime -- again, a personal choice).

Don't forget the nut and saddle. Everyone had their opinion there, too.

I know when you drop a serious chunk of change you expect perfection. But with standard Gibsons, they still need a personal touch to get them where you want them.

But once you do, you'll hopefully bond with the guitar like no other.

If not, give me and the folks on the board a jingle.

Good luck and congratulations!

Based on the picture of the guitar taken on the concrete outside, I am guessing you bought it from Jon at MFG?

So let me get this straight, Sal: Merely by looking at a picture of concrete you can tell not only what shop the guitar came from, but also which salesman sold it?

Johnny-Carson-Kreskin-300x300.jpg

You, sir, are amazing!

FMA

I switched out the string to D'addario EJ16's. I'm surprised at how much brighter is, I thought it would the opposite going with PB's over the stock 80/20's.

A lot of people feel that any D'Addario string is bright compared to other PB's.

EDIT: Try D'Addario Flat Tops, much mellower tone than regular D'Addario's.

Would you guys this is Heritage Cherry? It's supposed to be but it's almost looking more like Honey Burst

That is what Gibson calls it but it certainly looks more honey burst/orange colored to me. As I stated in another thread, I think GIbson really needs to change that burst color name. IMHO it is very misleading.

Archived