Gibson Brands Forums

Emgs in a Gibson les paul ?

aris17561

Hello!

Of course, it's not a crime. It is Your guitar...

However - in my opinion - EMGs sound the same in each and every type of guitar. They sound sterile, while Gibson's wide array of pickups are all spicy.

I'd try one in a shop, before I'd go with this mod.

Cheers... Bence

In case of putting EMGs in a Les Paul, I would go with a battery case integrated in the control cover like used for active Gibson LPs stock, and never route or have routed the guitar for it.

In my opinion, the very use of EMGs can be high output and low noise operation, not tone. However, when creating a personal tone from active EMG pickups using EQs, one should consider that this may dramatically increase the noise in the boosted frequency range. This will at least eat up the advantages of the basically increased signal to noise ratio. Thermal noise aka Johnson noise just depends on impedance, bandwidth and temperature - you can't fool the physics.

In case of putting EMGs in a Les Paul, I would go with a battery case integrated in the control cover like used for active Gibson LPs stock, and never route or have routed the guitar for it.

Hello Capmaster!

I used to have a Les Paul with the EMGs (for a couple of weeks, though [unsure] ) and the battery fitted right into the control cavity, without any routing. I just wrapped it in a thin urethane foam padding not to contact anything it shouldn't.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Capmaster!

I used to have a Les Paul with the EMGs (for a couple of weeks, though [unsure] ) and the battery fitted right into the control cavity, without any routing. I just wrapped it in a thin urethane foam padding not to contact anything it shouldn't.

Cheers... Bence

Good idea for checking it out before making the final decision. [thumbup]

Zakk Wylde would say "go for it!"

I guess so, - probably - in a less polite form. [biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

Yeah more like, buy my ******* signature guitar and learn to shred the right ******* way you ******* a******* or I'll kick your ******* ***.

Some people love EMG's to bits...

The player can wring his/her own tone from them like any guitar...

I have a Godin Redline with single bridge EMG

It doesn't get much play-time, but is beautifully built and fun to shred with... <_<

V

:-({|=

Is it a big crime ? I play metal... Now I use bare knuckle but ... [blink]

The stock pups in my classic gave off too much hum when my amped was dimed. Also, the low end was pretty flabby. My tech recommended the 81s, and they've reduced the hum to a whisper while tightening up my 6th string single note runs with some compression without needing a pedal. Might not be your cup of tea, but it sure works for me. Curious to try the x-series or duncan blackouts to see what the hubbub is about. Haven't gotten around to it cuz I'm extremely satisfied with my rig as is....

• 3 weeks later...

Never tried them in an LP, but I did put a set in my 85 Explorer and was not at all happy with them. As stated above, the term "sterile" fit very well. I forget which models they were.....what ever the hot combo was in the 80's......81/86 maybe?

Ended up taking them out and going with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Jackson vintage jazz in the neck. Have not changed it since.

NHTom

Archived