Gibson Brands Forums

Little Guitar Slinger

SilverLesterStd

I had a good friend in Houston his name was Joey Long, he was a guitar god...he passed away a few years ago, but he got a wireless doo-hickey for his guitar and he would walk around the bar while he played and pick up stuff off of the tables (usually girls tables) and play slide with whatever he picked up...lighters, beer bottles, lipstick, glasses, etc....Chicks dug it. I never saw him use a pool ball though!

surfpup - Thanks for the + feedback.

dcooper830 - Thanks you. I really liked your vid of "Steel Guitar Rag" too.

Yea, I know what you mean about cheapies. I played a bottom of the line Yamaha acoustic from around 14 until I was 19. I bought a Peavey T-60 & SS Peavey Special. Not axactly a tone catalyst of a rig.

You are right, Reese is musically privaleged to have a LP and to have use of my amp. He definately sounds better than on his mini Squire Infinity. Although, the mini is where he learned alot about electric guitar.

KSG_Standard - D. Gatton was too kewl with that beer! I especially liked the way he dried off the neck and kept playing. Smokin'!

guitarest - LOL! He does make the guitar look big. You should have seen him at the Gibson Showcase. I was looking at some T-shirts and looked up and he had a red ES335 tucked under his arm and was headed to the amp room to play it! I bet the sales people had their hearts in their mouths! =D> I know that Reese is very careful with guitars, but the salesforce didn't know. Thanks for the compliment.

SilverLesterStd

Thanks guitar_randy. I'm trying not to fear your icon!

Sorry everyone, but the wife flushed the "Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll" vid. I guess I did a poor job of filming. #-o I reconnected the link above to another video of Reese playing a B.O.C. song - ETI (Extraterrestrial Intelligence). Hope you like it.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got a camera and uploaded a couple of vids of my son Reese with his LP on Youtube. Please check out this
and let me know what you think.

wow, he is 8? I wish I played like that when I was 12! congratulations man, I hope that when I have kids they like guitar enough to learn and play.

Thanks Guitar slinger, James & Thunder! It's nice when other guitarists think well of Reese's playing like his old man does. No James, I haven't taught Reese a thing. He has only been exposed to my mediocre playing, great CDs, videos & concerts. The rest has been done on his own by ear. He does notice finger positions & techniques of people like Buck Dharma, Pete Townshend, Alex Lifeson & others. He's getting good at doing this.

Thunder, I feel truely blessed to have a son like Reese. He is also a nice boy as well. He had an extreme interest in rock music from a very early age.

Yeah, me too. I really hope to never turn out to be that kind of guy who expects something from his child except being a good boy with a good character who will make an honest living. I hope I don't turno into some dad who wants the son to become a doctor/baseball player/guitar player or whatever.

But, really, thoigh I'm a very young lad I'm always looking foward to raising a kid and sharing thing iwth him/her and having my kid interested enough in guitars to learn it an play it would be just awesome. You know, seeing your kid listening to Clapton and then trying to learn those vibratos...

My dad played acoustic guitar when I was very very young but stopped playing at all when I was about 5 or 6. He gave me my first guitar when I was 10 years old and is the best thing he gave - aside the education, of course.

And even losing some of my gear to the kid one day - I would do it proudly.

And SilverLesterStd, me too wanted to play like your kid when I was about 12 or 13 =)

Your son rocks. And it's even better to see that the little man enjoys it - not to mention that is sooo cute that the guitar is way bigger than him hahahaha

Guitar slinger- Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like you'll be a good dad when your time comes. I had actually quit playing for years, but the few times I did play, Reese was all over me. He was very locked onto the guitar process.

I think that one thing that has kept his interest is being at great concerts. He has seen several bands that he likes play live. He also went to Gibson Summer Jam with me. He gets mad and hurt if I go to a music store without him.

His interest reawakened the mediocre musician in me. HA! When I started in a band at 19, I wasn't as good as Reese is now. Hell, our lead player wasn't either. You're right that losing gear to him will be no big issue.

You think he makes the Lester look big? I'll have to post a vid of him on the Jazz bass! He doesn't care, he just gives it hell.

SilverLesterStd

That is AWESOME!

Please read the WHOLE of this post before passing judgement.

When I first saw this, I thought...

"8 Year Old? Marshall Stack? Gibson LP? Spoilt"

Then I heard him play. That is so cool! I wish I could play that well, I have been playing for four years too, and I am a couple of years older than he is!

Guitar slinger- Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like you'll be a good dad when your time comes. I had actually quit playing for years' date=' but the few times I did play, Reese was all over me. He was very locked onto the guitar process.

I think that one thing that has kept his interest is being at great concerts. He has seen several bands that he likes play live. He also went to Gibson Summer Jam with me. He gets mad and hurt if I go to a music store without him.

His interest reawakened the mediocre musician in me. HA! When I started in a band at 19, I wasn't as good as Reese is now. Hell, our lead player wasn't either. You're right that losing gear to him will be no big issue.

You think he makes the Lester look big? I'll have to post a vid of him on the Jazz bass! He doesn't care, he just gives it hell.

SilverLesterStd

[/quote']

I hear you! Watching great concerts can really awake the passion inside one's soul. I go nuts when I see a band I admire on the stage.

Flight 959 - Thanks for the + comments! I will definately give him a back patting for you.

VA_siCkBoy - The kid has (IMHO) great tastes in music. Are you a DNC fan as well?

ilovegibsons - Are you 10? I think it's cool that you have been playing for 4 years! Keep on playing, everybody matures at different times. Some of the best never started until they were 14 - 16 years-old. You may be the next Joe Perry, or Eddie Van Halen. Reese & I thank you for your inspiration. O:)

Guitar slinger - I know what you mean about going wild at a concert. Reese gets extremely excited to see a live show. My biggest kick is to see the thrill he gets each time.

daveinspain - Thanks for your words! You are right about the hearing the music in his head. He hears and retains music better than anyone I have ever met. He sometimes hears a song for the first time on the radio, and a couple of days later sits down & figures it out on his guitar well enough for me to know exactly what he's playing. #-o I just try not to get in the way of the process.

Archived