Gibson Brands Forums

Blues harps

Cougar

No idea. Back in my younger days I used a Hohner Marine Band "cross harped" for blues. They didn't have the model you mention, at least that I was aware of. They did have a "blues harp" that I didn't care for all that much.

I've a hunch that it'll be different strokes for different folks.

But Hohners always have had a quality reputation if one cares for them.

m

Take this with a grain of salt as I am no harp master. I have the 7 harp set as well as some other makes. These ones are ok for the price but i find that since they are plastic cased.( outer shell or whatever you call it) they are hard to move on...to much friction I find to move around in a fluid fashion or movement...I would get 1 or 2 decent ( all metal for around 20 bucks each) ones to be honest, less friction on the ole mouth...hope this makes sense and again, I am no harp master by any means.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am no harp master. I have the 7 harp set as well as some other makes. These ones are ok for the price but i find that since they are plastic cased.( outer shell or whatever you call it) they are hard to move on...to much friction I find to move around in a fluid fashion or movement...I would get 1 or 2 decent ( all metal for around 20 bucks each) ones to be honest, less friction on the ole mouth...hope this makes sense and again, I am no harp master by any means.

Whoa. Thanks, Rowdy! I'm no harp master either, but I did learn a thing or two from a guy who took lessons from Taj Mahal. I didn't realize the outer casing on these is plastic. Of course, they play up the " brass reeds, aluminum plates" etc., which sounds good, but I totally agree with you that the outer plastic is going to have more friction than harps with metal casing, which I already have a few of, and don't really play that much, truth be told. GC almost got me on an impulse buy!

my only harp is an old Hohner "Blues Harp" model w/a wooden frame.....it's good!

my only suggestion would be to find and disinfect an older wood framed harp.....Hohner makes repair kits for everything they've sold over the years....check out their website, it's Golden !

Hohner makes great harmonicas but the Piedmont model is really low end. The Special 20 will cost about $25.00. They're an entry level harp. Marine Bands are like $40.00. They're the most popular and they're great. Blues Harps are like $50.00. They're for more advanced players.

Remember, if you're playing blues harp, you'll be playing "Cross harp" style, like Milod mentioned. For that style, you'll play a harp that's in a different key than the key of the tune you're playing. The harp will need to be five half-steps above the key of the music. Like if the song is in the key of A you'll play a harp that's in the key of D. If the song's in the key of E you'll play a harp that's in the key of A.

Remember, if you're playing blues harp, you'll be playing "Cross harp" style, like Milod mentioned. For that style, you'll play a harp that's in a different key than the key of the tune you're playing. The harp will need to be five half-steps above the key of the music. Like if the song is in the key of A you'll play a harp that's in the key of D. If the song's in the key of E you'll play a harp that's in the key of A.

Ya know. Not to get off topic of the OP but that always confused me. I know the difference between cross harp and straight harp, but I can't see the logic. If I am playing guitar in the key of A, I generally play the major scale (which would be the relative minor of

F#) or the blues position (which I would think would be the equivalent of cross harp) which turns out to be also the major scale of C. Why would I use a D for cross harp in the key of A? :-k I mean it seems to me a D harp would be the notes of a D major scale right? So shouldn't it work for either straight harp in D or it would be the relative minor of B. I can't understand what makes it the cross harp of A. ](*,)

Right. A plays in E, because when you suck in on an A harp, you get an E(7) chord. Of course, when you blow in, you get an A chord (which is the 4 chord when your key is E). Then you just need a couple notes for the 5 chord (they're in there somewhere), and you've got 1-4-5... da blues.

Hey, I've got a Hohner Blues Harp. It must be 20 or 30 years old. I didn't know they were so valuable. Unfortunately, it's in C. I much prefer a G harp -- it's got the lowest notes of all the harps.

Anybody run water through their harp just before playing? Man, that really makes 'em sing.

Anybody run water through their harp just before playing? Man, that really makes 'em sing.

the previous owner of mine (an uncle) used to "season" his (mine) w/a dash of white whiskey occasionally......i think it swells the pear wood back to origional dimensions.

I may well be wrong though.......

Right. A plays in E, because when you suck in on an A harp, you get an E(7) chord. Of course, when you blow in, you get an A chord (which is the 4 chord when your key is E). Then you just need a couple notes for the 5 chord (they're in there somewhere), and you've got 1-4-5... da blues.

Hey, I've got a Hohner Blues Harp. It must be 20 or 30 years old. I didn't know they were so valuable. Unfortunately, it's in C. I much prefer a G harp -- it's got the lowest notes of all the harps.

I have a Low D. It's one octave lower than a regular D. That's the one you need to get really low down for stuff in the key of A. [thumbup][biggrin]

Last week I received the Honer Piedmont Blues and Bluesband 7 piece sets from MF. The Piedmonts have a matte plastic body and are somewhat lighter than the Bluesband ones that are chrome metal body and weigh a bit more. I'm not sure if the matte finish would give you "blister lips" in a longer session...lol. They sound almost the same to me, slight difference in loudness and tone. The carrying case is functional. The packaging has a short explanation where "Piedmont style" originated. Both packing wrappers have a chart explaining "cross harp" and an ad for "blow the blues" IPhone app. When my 7 y/o grandson comes over with his friends for a harmonica jam session, grandpa ends up missing a harmonica. These are cheap enough that I don't think I'll get too upset when they go missing (I am going to hide them better...lol). They sound pretty good for being so cheap. I don't know how the reeds will hold up.I guess time will tell. If I don't untune them by bending too much, they might last longer. I think they sound just fine, the Bluesband ones sound a little louder and fuller sounding (to me) and are heavier than the plastic body Piedmont ones. To me, a home player, I believe these are a good deal. Now I'm enjoying jamming "cross harp" style blues in various keys and timings. I have a holder, they fit fine. Blow your brains out with these for cheap...lol

Honer seems to make these 2 sets a quality product, even if they are inexpensive. I like the Marine Band Honer harmonicas, but they cost more.

Last week I received the Honer Piedmont Blues and Bluesband 7 piece sets from MF. The Piedmonts have a matte plastic body and are somewhat lighter than the Bluesband ones that are chrome metal body and weigh a bit more. I'm not sure if the matte finish would give you "blister lips" in a longer session...lol. They sound almost the same to me, slight difference in loudness and tone. The carrying case is functional. The packaging has a short explanation where "Piedmont style" originated. Both packing wrappers have a chart explaining "cross harp" and an ad for "blow the blues" IPhone app. When my 7 y/o grandson comes over with his friends for a harmonica jam session, grandpa ends up missing a harmonica. These are cheap enough that I don't think I'll get too upset when they go missing (I am going to hide them better...lol). They sound pretty good for being so cheap. I don't know how the reeds will hold up.I guess time will tell. If I don't untune them by bending too much, they might last longer. I think they sound just fine, the Bluesband ones sound a little louder and fuller sounding (to me) and are heavier than the plastic body Piedmont ones. To me, a home player, I believe these are a good deal. Now I'm enjoying jamming "cross harp" style blues in various keys and timings. I have a holder, they fit fine. Blow your brains out with these for cheap...lol

Honer seems to make these 2 sets a quality product, even if they are inexpensive. I like the Marine Band Honer harmonicas, but they cost more.

Cool! I can't believe how inexpensively you can get these. Go get 'em Gramps. Next thing you know you'll be hootin' and hollerin' the Piedmont style just like Sonny Terry.

Archived