Gibson Brands Forums

Question for THE WHO fans

JuanCarlosVejar

I'm with you, Gramps.... it was the first Who song I heard...and it literally blew me away...... sat with a 45 on a record player going over and over the bass lead trying to learn it, (or at least come close).

Hard to argue against that song. Maybe one of the first proto-Punk Rock songs.

Bob, I bet you had a picture of John Entwistle on your wall back then (or was it Macca?)....... [biggrin]

Hard to argue against that song. Maybe one of the first proto-Punk Rock songs.

Bob, I bet you had a picture of John Entwistle on your wall back then (or was it Macca?)....... [biggrin]

I was told I did a show with The Who...but damned if I remember it......(damn those 60's).

I think Macca is one of the most gifted musicians ever in Rock...but for bass..... John has no peer!

I'm with you, Gramps.... it was the first Who song I heard...and it literally blew me away...... sat with a 45 on a record player going over and over the bass lead trying to learn it, (or at least come close).

I believe that is considered the first bass solo in Rock.

I was told I did a show with The Who...but damned if I remember it......(damn those 60's).

I think Macca is one of the most gifted musicians ever in Rock...but for bass..... John has no peer!

It's amazing to me that you did a show with the Who (and can't remember it), and came agonizingly close to doing one with the Beatles (and remember it well)!

Like you say, it was the 60's......

"The 60's" have a different meaning to us today, gray hair (or no hair) and all.......

It's amazing to me that you did a show with the Who (and can't remember it), and came agonizingly close to doing one with the Beatles (and remember it well)!

Like you say, it was the 60's......

"The 60's" have a different meaning to us today, gray hair (or no hair) and all.......

Nick, you know all the details of the Candlestick Beatles show....but what I think may have happened with the Who is that we opened for them, then left to do another show somewhere, (that happened a lot), 'cause I'd think I'd remember

The Who!...however, I have a poster that says I played with The Animals and The Doors....and can't recall either gig!

Nick, you know all the details of the Candlestick Beatles show....but what I think may have happened with the Who is that we opened for them, then left to do another show somewhere, (that happened a lot), 'cause I'd think I'd remember

The Who!...however, I have a poster that says I played with The Animals and The Doors....and can't recall either gig!

Interesting to think upon that when you consider the weed these days is significantly stronger than anything of the 60's, imagine how little people of more recent generations are going to remember at similar ages. Whole world will be like a new surprise everyday.

Should that be a thing to rejoice or bury under the carpet ?

Not sure how I'd feel thinking ' I started that '

That's just cruel, BBG, that's just cruel. Back in those days, DanvillRob was a bass player. He has since seen the light, as he figured out that's it's the guitarist, not the bass player, who gets the chicks.

Ask him sometime about the folly of marrying a groupie, if you really want to get an earful.

(I live vicariously through Bob. He was actually doing the things I only dreamed about back then.)

Interesting to think upon that when you consider the weed these days is significantly stronger than anything of the 60's, imagine how little people of more recent generations are going to remember at similar ages. Whole world will be like a new surprise everyday.

It wasn't just the weed, PM, it wasn't just the weed.

what are the The Who's best songs ?

I've never been a big fan of them until only recently after listening to Pete and Roger do some acoustic stuff together .

that being said one of my favorite songs of all time is So Sad About Us :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktggGDS7dYU

can anyone recommend any songs they like ? I already know some of what Pete calls the "CSI Classics" Won't Get Fooled Again and those kind of things .

thanks

JC

Who??

That's just cruel, BBG, that's just cruel. Back in those days, DanvillRob was a bass player. He has since seen the light, as he figured out that's it's the guitarist, not the bass player, who gets the chicks.

Ask him sometime about the folly of marrying a groupie, if you really want to get an earful.

(I live vicariously through Bob. He was actually doing the things I only dreamed about back then.)

HAHA.... actually I was a guitar player first.... moved to bass so our lead singer wouldn't have to play lead guitar too....and I'm a lousy lead......

As far as getting the chicks...... you've met my wife..... more than I EVER deserved!

I think this is Christmas, either 1976 or 1977:

BobampKevenAtChristmas_zpsb265efd2.jpg

You make us all proud, if not a little jealous pal. Specially with the pics of Kev Give her a hug for me and I'll live vicariously through ya as well [rolleyes]

HAHA.... actually I was a guitar player first.... moved to bass so our lead singer wouldn't have to play lead guitar too....and I'm a lousy lead......

As far as getting the chicks...... you've met my wife..... more than I EVER deserved!

Great memories, I am sure Rob [thumbup]

Is that a bottle of Andre' cold duck that you are celebrating with?......Naaaa! I am sure that a man of your caliber drinks from the 'higher shelves'....[smile]

HA! I have no idea....was whatever Keven's parents were serving!

Were great times..... she was/is a girl like no other!

Jeez, Bob, you had HAIR.....you had HAIR....... (That's ok: so did James Taylor back then.)

Jeez, Bob, you had HAIR.....you had HAIR....... (That's ok: so did James Taylor back then.)

Nick, I had a lot more stuff back then that I don't anymore!

But considering that about half the guys I knew back then are no longer around..... I consider myself pretty lucky!

Archived