Gibson Brands Forums

Please identify this Les Paul

AndyK

The TRC has DeLuxe on it as far as I can see.

That would fit. The first thing I saw from the still in the OP was the wide binding in the cutaway so it was not going to be an original '58-'60 'burst and as it dates from '71 it pre-dates the Standard's re-appearance by 3 years.

The p'ups, obviously, have been swapped out.

I first heard JW on a 1977 4-track EP which had 'Walk Away', 'Rocky Mountain Way', 'Turn To Stone' and 'Meadows'. Great selection of songs.

After hearing those three 'Rockers' I couldn't understand what he was thinking of when he joined The Eagles very soon afterwards...

P.

I've just discovered the James Gang. [smile]

Good on ya! [thumbup] Great band. His next band Barnstorm was great too (credited as solo, but a band nonetheless).

As for the LP, Joe's had a few. He liked to take the covers off the pups and you can see these were black underneath. Since it's a darkburst, maybe it was a '58?

The TRC has DeLuxe on it as far as I can see.

That would fit. The first thing I saw from the still in the OP was the wide binding in the cutaway so it was not going to be an original '58-'60 'burst and as it dates from '71 it pre-dates the Standard's re-appearance by 3 years.

The p'ups, obviously, have been swapped out.

Ah, I see.

I first heard JW on a 1977 4-track EP which had 'Walk Away', 'Rocky Mountain Way', 'Turn To Stone' and 'Meadows'. Great selection of songs.

After hearing those three 'Rockers' I couldn't understand what he was thinking of when he joined The Eagles very soon afterwards...

P.

That's exactly what I thought, too!! [biggrin]

I bought that album the week after I bought the 4-track EP I mentioned earlier!

It came out in '76. Having enjoyed the EP so much I went out and bought 'You Can't Argue..', 'So What?' and 'Barnstorming'.

The inner sleeve of 'You Can't Argue..' gave rise to one of my first real fixations with Green-Tulip tipped Narrow-Peg-Headed '58 - '60 'Bursts. The rear cover re-enforced that feeling but it was the inner snap that I adored.

Picture of Joe from the rear stage-left with him playing an original 'Burst up about the 14th fret and a mic stand festooned with 'bulb-horns' and a car's rear view mirror.... Fantastic snap!

The inner sleeve of 'So What' has a great pic of JW with a marvellous Tiger-Stripe 'burst.

It's very late here in the UK otherwise I'd drag out the vinyl and post the articles in question.

P.

Saw Joe Walsh live during The Eagles 2009 European tour. He obviously hasn't changed his moves since 1971. By the way, it was a great concert in every respect, but I think one could expect that for a EUR 153.-- ticket. It was a birthday present from three of my bandmates...

I bought that album the week after I bought the 4-track EP I mentioned earlier!

It came out in '76.

It sure did. 'twas a great year for live records!

Bob Dylan, Hard Rain. I listen to this record probably once a month at least, still one of my favorite records ever, and the only Dylan I actually have on my iPod.

Dave Mason, Certified Live. Certified bada$$. Great record, still a favorite.

uhm, Frampton. Do I really have to mention that one? Still a favorite, I Want To Go To The Sun from that record required listening weekly.

McCartney, Wings Over America. Lots of great music on there, still a fave.

Rush, All The Worlds A Stage. Not a big Rush fan here, but that was a good one. I think I still have it somewhere.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, One More For From The Road.

Allman Brothers Band, Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas. Powerful Allmans, great stuff, I love this record.

I prolly missed a couple. This is a pretty good snapshot of my record collection then, and my iPod now. This stuff is timeless for me, I wouldn't be without it. A great year for live records, a great year to be a 16 year old guitar player.

rct

Back to the guitar... [wink] Apart from the pickups, was the Deluxe any different from the Standard? I thought they were pretty similar, in which case, why buy one and then change the pickups? Or were Standards too rare at that time?

Apart from the pickups, was the Deluxe any different from the Standard?

The ONLY difference is the pickups.

I thought they were pretty similar, in which case, why buy one and then change the pickups? Or were Standards too rare at that time?

To simplify an answer..... basically there were no "Standards" made between 1961 and 1974. The "Deluxe" was introduced around 1970 to use up the mini-humbuckers that Gibson acquired in the Epiphone buy-out, and as this was the first maple-cap sunburst LP offered in many years, a lot of people modified them with full size humbuckers, in an attempt to achieve that "vintage" sound and look. The "Standard", as we know it today, was reintroduced as a production model in 1975.

You know recently Joes been using Deusenberg Guitars. I've got the bonus DVD for the Analog Man and his tone is there. His playing is what you would expect from a journeyman guitar player.

He's also played Carvin and I think he still endorses them.

I like this video cause it's good ol' crazy Joe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIzyTk1fuf0

Back to the guitar...

Just to clarify one possible anomaly regarding what L5Larry and myself have posted and to cover my own arse should Joe W's lawyers come after me;

Full-size 'buckers were a special-order option on DeLuxe models at the time of the vid clip. so the ones featured might be original fitments (and pigs might fly).

P.

Archived