Gibson Brands Forums

"Acoustic Guitar" reviews the IB'64 Texan

dhanners623

The Texan becomes a stronger, heartier masterbilt once the saddle and nut are upgraded to bone. Most guitars need a proper set up, I just got lucky that mine was perfect out of the box. That just isn't going to be the case for most acoustics...from any company.

The lam sides are a good thing...doesn't detract from the tone and makes the guitar less prone to cracking over time. The Poly finish helps in the same way. And it's not thick enough to overly dampen the guitar's acoustic volume.

The IB64 Texans are incredible guitars that I recommend to people all the time.

The minute I got my IB 1964 Texan home, the metal "E" on the pickguard fell off - it was held on with some rubber cement. I cleaned the pickguard with a little solvent and kept the emblem as a souvenir. I think the guitar looks better without it.

The saddle was too high, and I found 2 shims underneath that I removed. Saddle height is good now, and I like the electronics.

Finally, I put in Tusq pins and now using medium phosphor bronze strings. Strumming everyday, and planning on keeping it for at least a few years to see how it develops.

Well mine got shipped back today. Good riddance. I will veritably keep my mind open, but will not buy one without hearing it first.

Otoh, after I shipped, I drove a mile over and paid a visit to MGR. They had a couple Hummingbird Pros in there. They were impressive. Only $249. I was quite tempted but that would put a serious dent in my hookers and booze money. msp_lol.gif

I'm on stay-cation this week and I'll stop by later this week for another audition.

No acoustic guitar should be bought without testing the specific guitar in a store and then, upon deciding to buy it, taking home the actual guitar you tested. Do we test drive a car and then have it shipped to us from an online retailer? No, we buy the one we test drove.

Well, I tried yet another IB64 Texan...

Sounded just like the other two I have played. Blech. Thin and narrow, no redeeming value.

I played an AJ220S-VS that sounded great and an Epi Hummingbird that sounded good, but not good enough to buy, plus that orange sunburst makes me pause.

I guess I'm just not an IB64 guy.

Also played an awesome used Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500m, without cutaway. It was sweet and I was going to buy it, then I noticed that someone must have hammered the bridge pins in down over half way into the bridge. There were cracks between a couple of them. Crap. I really liked that one.

I may go back and get the AJ200S-VS. I'll bet that with some Thomastik-Infeld Spectrums, that thing should rock.

Perhaps I and the many other happy IB64 Texan owners just got lucky with good specimens. Acoustic Guitar magazine got a good one, too. Oh, and that video of the Texan vs the Gibson - another good one!

Sorry you've had such bad luck, Scootch.

• 1 month later...

That was the original designation - A Second Look at the Texan.

To my knowledge the model hasn't changed. It was reissued as the FT-79 Texan. The blue label inside mine says FT-79 TEXAN, not IB'64 TEXAN. This is not a reissue of the USA made '64 FT-79 TEXAN that McCartney bought. It's a reissue of the '62 FT-79 TEXAN. Paul bought a FT-79 Texan in 1964.

Faded.....

To my knowledge the model hasn't changed. It was reissued as the FT-79 Texan. The blue label inside mine says FT-79 TEXAN, not IB'64 TEXAN. This is not a reissue of the USA made '64 FT-79 TEXAN that McCartney bought. It's a reissue of the '62 FT-79 TEXAN. Paul bought a FT-79 Texan in 1964.

Faded.....

it is referred to as an Inspired by 1964 Texan by Epiphone. key word is INSPIRED...http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Inspired-by-1964-Texan.aspx

Faded.....

Not according to Epiphone

Not according to Epiphone

To my knowledge the model hasn't changed. It was reissued as the FT-79 Texan. The blue label inside my 2012 reads FT-79 Texan, not IB'64 Texan. It's a FT-79 made in Indonesia with onboard electronics. The FT-79 Texan was a production model made at the Gibson factory starting in 1962. Paul McCartney bought one of these, which was built in 1964. Nothing special, it was even right handed. The FT-79 Texan had no affiliation with 1964 until 50 years later. McCartney's 2005 ($5000.00) USA made signature guitar would be the only true IB-64 model.

Of course, Today Epiphone and it's customers are free to call the FT-79 Texan whatever they choose. At least IB '64 Texan sure sounds more impressive. (?)

Faded....

Just a cupla comments...

A lotta a flattop's sound comes from design. A lot comes from the lot of woods used. Much also comes from the strings and the way it's played. Granted it's about classical guitars, but I keep returning to Segovia's comment about the guitar being a little orchestra all of itself due to the variations in tone available through varying technique alone.

So yeah, I think there's a lot more to consider when we talk "tone" even on an acoustic-only guitar.

Solid or lam?

In the Gibson side of the forums, add martin or whatever, too, and I think you'll find a lotta folks are convinced there's only reality in an all "solid wood" instrument.

Me, I figure that there are some advantages to laminates. I have mixed emotions about the fiberboard martin uses, but there's no question it's also much likely less liable to weather problems.

I'm convinced that a super-playing, super-setup laminate with a good AE ability is likely a better option on stage than an acoustic only instrument of any quality if you're really playing the thing to be heard. That's especially true IMHO in a solo gig where there's emphasis on what's going on with the guitar.

Howls about delamination? I respond that Gibson and other high-end archtops with laminate tops have managed to hold up quite well, in some cases for 60+ years.

Nothing against the super-quality acoustic-only instruments, but I think the super-well setup, neck shape, radius, scale, etc., for a given player, the AE is inevitably the better choice on stage for all but perhaps a very, very well done bluegrass PA setup. And that costs a lot more than AE instruments.

m

Better check your Texan,

The Texan becomes a stronger, heartier masterbilt once the saddle and nut are upgraded to bone. Most guitars need a proper set up, I just got lucky that mine was perfect out of the box. That just isn't going to be the case for most acoustics...from any company.

The lam sides are a good thing...doesn't detract from the tone and makes the guitar less prone to cracking over time. The Poly finish helps in the same way. And it's not thick enough to overly dampen the guitar's acoustic volume.

The IB64 Texans are incredible guitars that I recommend to people all the time.

Better check your Texan, they come from the factory with a bone nut and saddle pre-installed.

Faded......

Better check your Texan,

Better check your Texan, they come from the factory with a bone nut and saddle pre-installed.

Faded......

I could be wrong but I think the slightly higher end stuff (Texan, EJ160e) are fitted with "imitation or synthetic bone" which is a really hard plastic that is hard to tell the difference on inspection. I bought my EJ160e used so it might have been upgraded but I think it's imitation bone (really hard white plastic) alright

Roger Ball at Gibson customer service told me that the nut and saddle on the IB64 Texan are plastic. They're not tusk, not synthetic bone, just really good plastic. In response to my questioning him about bone, synthetic bone or tusk, Roger replied:

The product manager’s exact quote was “it’s plastic, but it’s really nice plastic!"

I have a Recording King Dirty Thirties Single O that has a bone nut and saddle. When I compare the two I can't tell the difference in appearance or to the touch. When I take my Texan (built February 2014 in Indonesia) in to my luthier in a couple months to get my nut and saddle upgraded to bone, I'll see what he says. He runs an authorized Martin warranty/service center in Richmond, VA (http://www.brumittguitars.com).

My 2012 FT-79 Texan came from the factory with a bone nut and saddle. I guess the newer IB-64's do not.

Well, the plastic sure is good plastic (if it really is plastic). I'm getting the complex overtones and full volume from this Texan just like the Gibson J45/J50 models. When I bought my Texan, I compared it to a 1964 Gibson J50 the shop was selling. The J50 was in excellent shape. The intonation was spot on...it was a really beautiful guitar. The shop had it for sale for $3300. The Texan had almost an identical tone, but was a bit louder in overall volume.

Mark Brumitt is a great guy to deal with. I've had a lot of stuff done by him and I am always happy with his work! I live on the Southside right up the hill from the Pony Pasture on the James.

We should get together and play sometime, man...nice to meet someone on here so close to me.

I'm out in the country...Sandston zip code...Bottoms Bridge area.

Archived