Gibson Brands Forums

COA Value

skeeterbuck

I found a used Gibson Acoustic that was a limited run and originally came with a COA. The Coa is missing and I considering if the COA effects the price.

What do y'all Gibsonites think? Is it just a nicety or should it affect the selling price?

Also, does anyone know if replacements are available from Gibson?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Chuck

It's a nice thing to have for verification purposes on a limited run guitar, but I doubt if it has measurable impact on the price. However, if the seller is claiming a higher value because it's part of a limited run, he needs to be able to prove it.

Normally I would say no but I recall a few years back when Fender Cunetto Strats and Teles became a hot collector's item. Even though the guitars associated with Vince were easily identified by the pressed in Custom Shop stamp as opposed to the standard decal, you could get a pretty decent discount if the seller did not have the COA.

But that is the only instance I can think of where it mattered.

The only way a COA has any real value is when you decide to sell the guitar and the buyer insists on it. If you plan on keeping the guitar "forever", it really doesn't have any value. Of course, if the seller says it's a limited run and he's charging you more, he needs to produce the COA to prove that it's worth the up charge. I ran into this several times when buying/selling custom shop Fender guitars. Don't know about Gibson reissuing COA's, but Fender will only reissue one to the original owner with proof that you are the original owner.

With my old 37 Gibson L-0, I know it is not a newish guitar like the OP, but it came with a COA because the original owner had done a few of his own 'improvements' including removing the Gibson logo!

Nobody would buy it as a Gibson until the guy selling got it certified, and it did make a difference to me buying - I wouldn't know if it was a real L-0 or a dodge. My local guitar tech also authenticated it and I never mentioned the COA to him.

The main COA on this old guitar would be the Gibson sound!

Certificates are only needed when the guitars are sold on.

It didn't do the guy selling my L-0 and good - he kept dropping the price on eBay until I bought it to put him out of his misery. If I didn't have a couple of very nice Gibsons, I would never have dreamed of buying any guitar without a logo!

BluesKing777.

I have found two of the same model of guitar. Both are in near mint shape. Only one of them has the COA ,but it also $400 more expensive. Also the one with the COA is a private owner were the one without is a store.

As you would imagine, the store is claiming that it's not a big deal, whereas the private owner is claiming it adds value to the guitar. I would agree that the COA adds more value, but not $400 dollars worth. :rolleyes:[confused]

Also, the dealer is a Gibson, 5 star dealer. You would think that they would be able to get a replacement COA. I didn't ask because I not quite ready to pull the trigger.

I have found two of the same model of guitar. Both are in near mint shape. Only one of them has the COA ,but it also $400 more expensive. Also the one with the COA is a private owner were the one without is a store.

As you would imagine, the store is claiming that it's not a big deal, whereas the private owner is claiming it adds value to the guitar. I would agree that the COA adds more value, but not $400 dollars worth. :rolleyes:[confused]

Also, the dealer is a Gibson, 5 star dealer. You would think that they would be able to get a replacement COA. I didn't ask because I not quite ready to pull the trigger.

If they really are exactly the same model--and you should be able to verify that by the serial numbers, with a bit of legwork--I see absolutely no reason to pay $400 more for the guitar with the COA, unless it is also in better condition and has a better voice. The COA is a modern invention, I believe. Not even sure when they started doing it.

I have two modern Gibsons with COA's. I bought both used, and wasn't even aware at the time that they both still had COA's with them. One of my favorite modern Gibsons is a limited-run guitar that did not come with a COA, but has a distinctive label, so it is easy to identify.

If I were Gibson, I would not issue a replacement COA without a physical examination of the guitar to verify that it is what it is claimed to be. That would take time and money both on Gibson's part and that of the owner.

Original documentation of this type is important for some items with potential collector value. With Rolex watches for example, it is a big plus if an item bought used has the original box and identification papers.

Guitars? Nice to have the paperwork, but don't ask me to pay more for it. Having said that, it you buy a guitar that has the original paperwork, don't throw it away.

I have two with the COA. One has Ren's signature.

Doesn't make any difference to me.

I normally wouldn't know if a used one even had a COA.

I would not paid extra for that piece of paper.

I could see it making a sale more attractive, but not more money.

I have a couple of Custom Shop guitars that came with a COA, one from Tennessee, and one from California.

That said, I would never eliminate from consideration a guitar with a missing COA, nor would I pay extra for one with a COA.

As has been said above....It's just a piece of paper.

Well... I sent the guy that has the guitar with the COA if her would reduce his price to basically the same price as the one without the COA. I have a feeling that he won't come down on his price , but we'll see. [unsure]

Thanks to all that responded. I think that having to COA makes it more attractive to a potential buyer, but it's value isn't much on its own. I'm hoping he thinks the same. [wink]

MoP,

I'm was looking at an older Gibson model that originally came with a COA. I've narrowed it down to 2 guitars that are both used and in about the same condition . One has its COA and the other doesn't, However the one with the COA is several hundred dollars more. I would like to have the COA just to have the complete package that originally came with guitar, but I'm not going to pay several hundred more just to have it. Having the choice got me thinking about how much value did the COA actually add to the guitar, hence the reason for starting the thread.

Chuck

It just occurred to me that the COA could be dubious.

I, like 4 billion others, have a well known home printer (you know the one - the new ink costs more that the printer), and could easily do a bit of photoshopping and produce a number of certificates.

Does this mean we need a COA for the COA?

BluesKing777.

Archived