Gibson Brands Forums

curve ball

ParlourMan

So, I finally picked up the guitar again after a wee break. Haven't played since before xmas... yer probably thinking where's the curve ball in that, right? well, I'm playing a bleedin' stratocaster... Three things...

I'm primarily an acoustic player these days...

All my lovely Gibsons are significantly more luxury than this particular example, as are my remaining electrics....

I've never even liked strats, never owned one before, never desired to and I've usually rolled my eyes by the time someone has finished saying the word 'stratocaster'

To make matters worse it's a classic buddy Holly config, 2 colour burst, white scratchplate.. beyond cliché...... My world has to gone to hell in a hand basket!

I played a Strat when we did the Double Aught cd (available at iTunes <_< ) on several of the cuts and used it a lot live. They are pretty good utility guitars and cheap. To me they're like a shovel, you can dig it? Ya don't really care if they get beat up and stuff.

[thumbup]

They are pretty good utility guitars and cheap.

Exactly… also probably the comfiest electrics to play really… Just a helluva lot of guilt, shame and loss of self respect involved :D

Ya don't really care if they get beat up and stuff.

No, couldn't give a monkeys what happens to it… It's poly coated though, it'll outlast Keith Richards...

It's poly coated though, it'll outlast Keith Richards...

Keef's face is a living analogy to what happens to a nitro finish that is repeatedly exposed to rapid, extreme changes in temperature.

But he still may outlast a poly finish.....

I have to say I REALLY like the new American Strat with the Fat 50's retro pups I bought last late fall. TriColor w/rosewood fretboard. Sounds great, hangs great, fit's just right (I'm skinny and my SG rubs my hip bones).

Great Value. Think I had a 15%off coupon and got it for $1020 plus 10 sets of bullet Fender strings to boot.

Glad you like it. I have no guilt/shame with mine. Would like a Surf Green one to go w/ the Olympic White one too!!! [biggrin]

I'm only jesting, it's a nice wee guitar... I bought it from a colleague (yes I know, I'm downsizing... yes, yes...) he was doing a fire sale of all his gear to fund some Custom Shop job he's ordering in a truly horrendous colour and heavy reliced.

for a super cheap guitar it really is quite nice. We're probably going to have a couple of changes in my wee covers band which will see a bit of electric use for some gigs, so I sort of needed a solid body job anyway... price was irresistible, I properly robbed the bloke.... So been going a couple of days in full John Squire mode, rehearsing up some Stone roses numbers that we can bring into the set and looking to update a few numbers we do currently with an electric and some effects usage.

I'm only jesting, it's a nice wee guitar... I bought it from a colleague (yes I know, I'm downsizing... yes, yes...) he was doing a fire sale of all his gear to fund some Custom Shop job he's ordering in a truly horrendous colour and heavy reliced.

for a super cheap guitar it really is quite nice. We're probably going to have a couple of changes in my wee covers band which will see a bit of electric use for some gigs, so I sort of needed a solid body job anyway... price was irresistible, I properly robbed the bloke.... So been going a couple of days in full John Squire mode, rehearsing up some Stone roses numbers that we can bring into the set and looking to update a few numbers we do currently with an electric and some effects usage.

So while you're practicing the electric stone roses stuff is the singer practicing out of tune singing ?

So while you're practicing the electric stone roses stuff is the singer practicing out of tune singing ?

I do hope so..... LOL.

Doing a couple of Roses tunes was something we spoke of ages ago, till I realised I can't play at that speed anymore due to the hand injury... a change is as good as a holiday an all that, but I'm half hoping the smaller neck and whatnot might help me get a bit of speed & dexterity back... that and I was due myself a Christmas present anyway.

I do hope so..... LOL.

Doing a couple of Roses tunes was something we spoke of ages ago, till I realised I can't play at that speed anymore due to the hand injury... a change is as good as a holiday an all that, but I'm half hoping the smaller neck and whatnot might help me get a bit of speed & dexterity back... that and I was due myself a Christmas present anyway.

Just make sure you video it. Fools gold the full 9minute one

Archived