Gibson Brands Forums

ES Models

Frances50

I usually post in the Acoustic and Les Paul forums but I had a question about the ES models. Does Gibson ever offer discounts at year end like they typically do for the Les Pauls? I know in November, the Five Star dealers were offering amazing discounts (up to $1000) off their prices for the Les Pauls. I had considered adding a 2013 ES-335 to my collection but I never did see Sweetwater or any other dealer offer any special discounts.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I don't know if this applies exactly, but I found a deal sort of like that from Sweetwater. I bought my 2011 ES-345 from them in January 2013. It was advertized as a "demo" model, which meant it came with a Sweetwater warranty, but not a Gibson warranty. It was like new, and the price was about $600 less than the typical new price at the time. I went for it, knowing I could ship it back (on my own dollar, I think) within 30 days for a refund. It ended up being the best Gibson I ever played, so it worked out beautifully for me.

EDIT: Yeah, re-reading your question, I realize that I didn't answer it. Anyway, I hope you find a good deal out there like I did.

You should always call an authorized dealer and ask for a price. It's usually much different from the prices advertised on web sites. Same with local authorized dealers (although maybe not GC, I don't know about them).

Thanks for the replies. I have my eye on a ES-335 Dot natural that was on Sweetwater's website. I'm just about to pay off my credit card with them and thought about adding this guitar to my collection. The price is a bit steep for me. I did check with GC in Atlanta. They don't have one but could get one. Didn't give me a firm price but said it would be around the $3200 price range. It's listed on most sites for $3699. Don't know. It's a beautiful guitar and I think it would round out my collection. I haven't called anyone at Sweetwater yet.

Yes - The 335's will be discounted toward the end of the year. The amount of discount is usually less than for Les Pauls, depending on how many are left toward the end of the year.

There's lots of LP models, so there's likely to be more models that don't sell as expected. 335's, on the other hand, are more consistent sellers and they're probably won't be so many left over at the end of the year.

You can expect to get maybe $200.00 to $400.00 - like 10 to 15% - off the regular street price if you find one. [thumbup]

Much thanks to all who responded. I didn't have much hope, but I went by my local guitar store, Sims Music in Columbia, South Carolina. They carry a lot of Gibsons, not the high end Les Pauls like you find at Sweetwater and such but nice guitars. Found my ES-335 Dot Figured Natural for a little over $600 off the "discounted" price. So, I left it at the shop to get Schaller strap locks put on it. (I have Schallers on my Les Paul and Strat). Will pick it up this p.m. Tried it out and was really surprised how light it is. I think it will round out my collection perfectly! Also liked the fact that the pick guard was black and not white like a lot of the internet sites have on their ES-335's.

Thanks again!

Archived