Gibson Brands Forums

new recording - Freight Train

Guest J-Doug

I like that. I think Libba would like it too. Real sweet fingerpicking. Makes me just shake my head and wonder about the people who think the Gibson super jumbos are primarily made for strumming.....Good work on this old song. [thumbup]

thank you so much the kind words! Many people don't realize how versatile super jumbos can be.

Great job J-Doug! I am just getting an independent thumb down - I am behind you. Want to see a great version (outside yours)? Check out Martin Tallstrom; he gives it a head sliding groove:

Thank you Sal! Post a tune once you get that thumb down. It's a labor of love let me tell you. And I'll definitely have a look at the video.

Great job J-Doug! I am just getting an independent thumb down - I am behind you. Want to see a great version (outside yours)? Check out Martin Tallstrom; he gives it a head sliding groove:

Just listened to the video. Holy crap! As it is readily apparent for my recording, I am not flying at anywhere near that level and sadly probably will never fly at that level. :(

J-Doug - you were great. Tallstrom is the same plane as Tommy Emmanuel. I dont think there is a single person on this forum at that level, and if they are I bow down.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement Sal. It is hard not to feel discouraged by playing of that caliber though.

Ahh Then I wish I never posted it.

Don't be silly Sal. There's nothing wrong with you posting that link. It was pretty awesome in fact.

gov, AnneS and fp, thank you so much for the kind words.

We love that song and I enjoyed your version. I have played it (after a fashion) since the 60s, but I guess I am not a real guitar player in the sense that I craft instrumental versions of stuff. My approach is more of a method thing, where you learn the melody on the one had and some picking techniques on the other and sort of mix them in real time -- sometimes it works well and sometimes it works less well. Overall, we are more interested in using a guitar to support voice -- it is a great song for that too.

My favorite finger style guitars for this kind of stuff are spruce over mahogany banners -- J-45s and SJs. For me (this is all very individual) the 100 is a bit too full of a sound for what we like.

Here is an old recording my wife and I made a few years ago -- 39 Kay and 43 J-45.

http://vimeo.com/15313172

Keep up the good work.

-Tom

We love that song and I enjoyed your version. I have played it (after a fashion) since the 60s, but I guess I am not a real guitar player in the sense that I craft instrumental versions of stuff. My approach is more of a method thing, where you learn the melody on the one had and some picking techniques on the other and sort of mix them in real time -- sometimes it works well and sometimes it works less well. Overall, we are more interested in using a guitar to support voice -- it is a great song for that too.

My favorite finger style guitars for this kind of stuff are spruce over mahogany banners -- J-45s and SJs. For me (this is all very individual) the 100 is a bit too full of a sound for what we like.

Here is an old recording my wife and I made a few years ago -- 39 Kay and 43 J-45.

http://vimeo.com/15313172

Keep up the good work.

-Tom

Thank you Tom!

Tom,

I love it when you two play together. That's got to be the biggest thumbpick I've ever seen!

Yes I enjoyed your rendition too Tom. Now if I could just convince my wife to play upright bass too!

Yes I enjoyed your rendition too Tom. Now if I could just convince my wife to play upright bass too!

Thank you guys. I hope we make up in enthusiasm what we lack in skill -- we certainly love to do it.

I am married to one of the only sit down players of the stand up bass. After I have carried it around for a whole day, I sometimes wish she had taken up the penny whistle.

Best,

-Tom

Archived