Gibson Brands Forums

Collector's Choice #17 1959 Les Paul "Louis"

Rabs

If I was offered such an instrument for granted, I would do the same as with an unsensibly expensive sports car, piece of furniture or painting: I would trade it.

Why, Cap?

I'm not starting a bunfight I assure you but why would you trade it?

You currently have 5 or 6 Les Pauls. The CC #17 might be better than all of the ones you currently own.

Why wouldn't you keep that one and sell the other half-dozen? You'd make a tidy profit that way into the bargain!

I know that the ones you have are all different and you get slightly different things from each of them but even so...

And as has been said earlier the #17 isn't that 'unsensibly expensive' compared with a regular R9 in price - at least as far as the UK is concerned - even at on-line prices.

In Euros the (UK) prices work out at 5,452 for an R9 and 5,892 for the #17

That's only 440 Euros more for the #17. Just 8% difference in price.

P.

It's about rejecting the dings and dongs, especially on the back of the neck. The only options in my opinion in case it was a fantastic sounding guitar would be restoration and complete refinishing, including replacement of all the aged metal parts with new ones.

OK, but this is just me... [rolleyes]

It's about rejecting the dings and dongs, especially on the back of the neck. The only options in my opinion in case it was a fantastic sounding guitar would be restoration and complete refinishing, including replacement of all the aged metal parts with new ones.

It's not just you ... when I pay $$, I want new and shiny

I agree about the rear of the neck, Cap. I even mentioned it in my first reply.

I played one of the aged 'Koss' sigs and the un-evenness of the rear of the neck was (IMHO) a real problem.

The original had experienced a serious neck-break about 5th fret level(I think) and the repair was a splice-graft.

The appearance of this was very odd and that, added to the neck-wear, I found to be unpleasant.

Shame as otherwise it played and sounded fantastically well.

But other dents and dings don't worry me in the slightest.

I actualy prefer not to be the first person to mark my guitars so I feel more at ease with s/h pre-dented ones if that makes any sense?!

The two guitars I treat with the most care are actually my least expensive LP and my MIM Strat as they are still in pristine condition.

I don't really like that precisely because I don't want to damage them. So my R0 gets all the dents, dings, scratches and other assorted evidence of having lived!

Ok, but that's just Me....[laugh].....

P.

These guitars are for collectors plain and simple. Most players know they can get as good a guitar for a lot less.

Probably why they are called the Collectors Choice :-k

Even though im the one who usually posts these and know the response it will get.. its still slightly amusing to watch the reactions :P (simple things ;))

These guitars are for collectors plain and simple. Most players know they can get as good a guitar for a lot less.

Oddly enough, Surf, the guitar in question is (as has been said earlier) only 8% more than a regular R9 so price alone isn't the issue.

If you can afford to fritter away $7,600 on a toy then surely $7,999 won't be too much of a turn-off?

P.

Oddly enough, Surf, the guitar in question is (as has been said earlier) only 8% more than a regular R9 so price alone isn't the issue.

P.

Yes but I think the things like the scaring on the back of the neck makes them collectors rather than players?

Why?

Cos to most of us it looks crappy which is why so many complain about the aging...

Actually I was wondering how that scaring is done.. is it lacquered over so you don't feel it or is it like some of the finish is actually taken off..

Cos if you have a guitar you buy that is meant to be a replica of a famous burst and you play it and wear it down even more its no longer a replica.. just a really nice guitar with loads of ware not made by you?

If you can afford to fritter away $7,600 on a toy then surely $7,999 won't be too much of a turn-off?

Did not realize R9 s were that expensive. No wonder I don't own one! [scared] Guess I'll be stuck with my lowly faded standard for life.

Gold top! I might dig that. [thumbup]

These might cost dearly. They would have to recreate the greenish look of copper acetate, originally caused by sweat and bacteria after weather checking of the clear coat. But I think they will be able to do this for you - at an extra charge for avoiding the destruction of another tasteful burst. [rolleyes]

Cos to most of us it looks crappy which is why so many complain about the aging...

Actually I was wondering how that scaring is done.. is it lacquered over so you don't feel it or is it like some of the finish is actually taken off..

Cos if you have a guitar you buy that is meant to be a replica of a famous burst and you play it and wear it down even more its no longer a replica.. just a really nice guitar with loads of ware not made by you?

My '64 Melody Maker has some pretty large "gashes" on the neck, where the finish has just worn down to the wood over time. One on the bass side of the neck, starting around the 5th fret and ending around the 9th fret, and another on the treble side, starting at the 5th fret and ending around the 7th. Never even feel them while playing. Here they are:

Hiogesy.png

-Ryan

Archived