Gibson Brands Forums

Collector's Choice #17 1959 Les Paul "Louis"

Rabs

Only $7,998, I will have two of them :^o ;)

Capturing every sonic, visual, and tactile nuance of the world's most desirable guitar, Collector’s Choice™ #17 1959 Les Paul "Louis" re-creates a stunningly well-preserved Les Paul that was tucked away in a private collection for the past 30 years.

Keith Nelson of SoCal rock band Buckcherry selected this 'burst from six original '59 Les Pauls after rigorous playing, and has played it on Buckcherry's 2013 release Confessions and every live date since. Thanks to Keith's gracious cooperation, Gibson Custom has painstakingly analyzed every detail of the guitar's look, sound, and modest playing wear to bring you a perfect recreation. From the faded Dirty Lemon Burst finish to the incomparable '59 neck profile and hallowed PAF-driven burst tone, Collector's Choice™ #17 is the nearest you’ll come to making the most valuable electric guitar ever produced your very own.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collector%e2%80%99s-Choice-17-1959-Les-Paul-Louis.aspx

LP59CC17SBNH1-Finish-Shot_zps6c4d8ffe.jpg

LP59CC17SBNH1-Finish-Shot-Back_zps5938d5f2.jpg

LP59CC17SBNH1-Glam-Shot_zpsd66a5470.jpg

I think this gently aged, kept-under-a-bed 59 reissue Les Paul will get the attention of all of those guitar players bored to tears with...well, uh...gently aged, kept-under-a-bed, 59 reissue Les Pauls! Go Gibson!

rct

Quoting here from the advertising: "Capturing every sonic, visual, and tactile nuance of the world's most desirable guitar, Collector’s Choice™ #17 1959 Les Paul "Louis" re-creates a stunningly well-preserved Les Paul that was tucked away in a private collection for the past 30 years."

Most players know there's no way for capturing every sonic and visual nuance due to differences in timbers, and most players are interested in tactile properties supporting playability. So it is fair to call these more or less thoroughly damaged items Collector's Choice, and most of these recreations will end being tucked away in private collections. <_<

Luckily there are lots of fine Gibson Les Paul guitars made to be Player's Choice. B)

I think it's awesome that Keith Nelson was involved because he is one of my favorite players and I don't think he gets enough credit, but I still wouldn't buy a pre-beat up guitar for any reason.

If I want a "famous" guitar, I'll get one like it and play the heck out of it myself to give it my own "worn" look.

NHTom

I don't know, if it makes somebody happy it can't be that bad.

I bet there are ton of people out there that think it is idiotic to buy an R8 but I don't.

My point of view at an instrument is that of a player who doesn't need a guitar as wall art but for making music. So I think that R7/8/9/0 models can be a reasonable choice in a high-gloss or NOS version, but anything beyond is also beyond my acceptance.

Wow... A reissue of a 59 Les Paul... But this time in a tasteful burst...

[lol]

I don't know why, Searcy, but even although I can always rely on this response to appear it still always makes me giggle! Seriously ! ! !

[thumbup]

In fact it's reached the point where, if I look at the pictures I occasionally take of my own guits, in my mind I hear a voice saying;

"Wow...A whole bunch of wannabe '59 and '60 Les Pauls...but this time...etc...etc...".................LOL!

"Drat! Curse You, Red Baron!" (as Snoopy would have said - with much fist-waving to-boot).

Back on-topic;

I like the look of it. I don't care for the wear on the rear of the neck but the rest? Looks fine to me.

Furthermore, as was discussed (in the LP section, I believe) a couple of months back all the Collector's Choice guitars seem to be way above average even in CS terms so....?

Is it a bad guitar? Almost certainly not.

Will the guitars be 'worth' the asking price? Possibly. I'll expand....

An ordinary R9 in the UK (web price : not inflated London Main Dealer Price) currently goes for £4,499 which is $7,402 at today's rate of exchange.

Yup. That's what we actually have to pay for a regular R9.

$8K for a limited edition special run blah...blah...blah....? Almost seems like a bargain.

..and it is in a very Tasteful 'Burst.....

P.

I grew up in Southern California during the late 1950's/1960's and very clearly recall going into the guitar shops in Hollywood during that time with my now deceased dad and seeing these what at the time were 'used Gibson Les Pauls' all for not more that $200 at the time...........AND they want $8000 for an artificially beat up Les Paul now..........YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND TO BUY SUCH A THING IMHO.............jim

...they want $8000 for an artificially beat up Les Paul now..........YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND TO BUY SUCH A THING IMHO.............jim

Cheaper than the $150,000 that the real thing would command..........

Jus' Sayin'.......

[wink]

P.

I also cannot get into the reissue beat up thing. I would rather have a new model and wear it out myself like us real players used to do. People today are just too lazy to practice or play enough to wear out their own gear that they have to buy something already beat to crap. And I kind of think buckcherry is a decent enough band and all but to me having a guitar already dented and all is not my number one choice. It may be just me but I like to take care of my stuff and not let it bang around and all and get chips and such out of the finish. I do not mind worn through finishes and such where you hold it and actually play it. I like a broken in instrument as well but this kind of stuff is just nuts and the price is even worse. Anyways...........Tim

[lol]

I don't know why, Searcy, but even although I can always rely on this response to appear it still always makes me giggle! Seriously ! ! !

[thumbup]

In fact it's reached the point where, if I look at the pictures I occasionally take of my own guits, in my mind I hear a voice saying;

"Wow...A whole bunch of wannabe '59 and '60 Les Pauls...but this time...etc...etc...".................LOL!

"Drat! Curse You, Red Baron!" (as Snoopy would have said - with much fist-waving to-boot).

It's nothing personal Brother. It's just that I can't think of a more boring guitar to own than a 59 or 60 Les Paul... this time in a tasteful burst.

It's not hard to see why Gibson keeps making them though. It's what sells and just look how their customer base reacts to changes. Remove the binding fret nibs and Gibson geeks act like Henry J. himself just urinated on their children. :angry: [scared][-X

I'd rather have a Government Series II SG. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Remove the binding fret nibs and we got ourselves a LP Studio at 7k cheaper. Maybe Gibson should age some LP Studio's and charge 3k.

OMG FZ Fan just opened the Lion cage at feeding time!!!!!!!! don't you know no better?

as to the "Louis" I wanna see the ring(s) that routed the neck so badly....looks like Little Richard owned that guitar.

Well, it's all down to personnel choice at the end of the day. If you had unlimited funds to spend on guitars, then I'm sure it will be very nice. As Pippy mentioned, here in the U.K, you'll pay that for a regular R9, so the price for this doesn't seem outrageous.

I'm pretty sure that most members here would not say no to this guitar, if offered it, I'm sure I wouldn't, but I have to say, that I have only ever played one reissue, and that was the Kossoff VOS, which I loved, I don't know how that compares with a "regular" R9, but I suspect each model (and indeed each guitar) has to be judged on it's own merits.

At the end of the day, it's your choice, if you want it and can afford it, good luck to you, don't forget, there are no pockets in a funeral shroud!

Ian.

...Remove the binding fret nibs and Gibson geeks act like Henry J. himself just urinated on their children...

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

As Homer* said; "It's funny 'cause it's true..."

P.

EDIT : "And so it came to pass...."

http://forum.gibson....ea-from-gibson/

No offence jimmyl51 but the timing was too good to pass up...

(*) Simpson. Not the Greek chap.

Well, it's all down to personnel choice at the end of the day. If you had unlimited funds to spend on guitars, then I'm sure it will be very nice. As Pippy mentioned, here in the U.K, you'll pay that for a regular R9, so the price for this doesn't seem outrageous.

I'm pretty sure that most members here would not say no to this guitar, if offered it, I'm sure I wouldn't, but I have to say, that I have only ever played one reissue, and that was the Kossoff VOS, which I loved, I don't know how that compares with a "regular" R9, but I suspect each model (and indeed each guitar) has to be judged on it's own merits.

At the end of the day, it's your choice, if you want it and can afford it, good luck to you, don't forget, there are no pockets in a funeral shroud!

Ian.

I wannabe something I'm not too. Fortunately the wannabe in me doesn't manifest itself in wanting to buy "fraudulent" guitars. Like my parents would say, "You're only fooling yourself."

If I was offered such an instrument for granted, I would do the same as with an unsensibly expensive sports car, piece of furniture or painting: I would trade it.

If I was offered such an instrument for granted, I would do the same as with an unsensibly expensive sports car, piece of furniture or painting: I would trade it.

Well cap, if you're not going to appreciate it, I'm not going to give you one! [tongue]

Archived