Gibson Brands Forums

Fret over binding process....another great idea from Gibson!?

jimmyl51

This is NOT a little change......simply indicative of how far Gibson has sunk in comparison to what a Japanese company like Ibanez can do at a price point for a jazz box that will kick the s--- out of a Gibson......jim

Yes. You are correct, Jim.

And?

P.

in protest to the entire nib/no nib discussion, I'm going to cut all the nibs off ones that have them and super glue them onto the ones that don't!!!!!!

Actually, Tom, I think you've inadvertently hit on how to improve the situation with the thick nibs which are still there on some of the non-historic Lesters.

Very carefully cut/carve away the nib with a scalpel and fashion them into the same shape as those nibs used on the R-Is, finishing off with 1000 grade steel wool!

[thumbup]

P.

I don't think it has anything to do with being inferior. I think it will now be able to counterfit a Gibson easier since it is not that easy to make the nibs look right if you are going to make a counterfit guitar. Also there is the traditon on having them on the guitar.

Appreciated.

I didn't understand where the OP was coming from, using the word "inferior". My 60s tribute didn't have any binding on the board at all, my Sig T has it with nibs. My Epi LP and ES both have binding under the frets.

I don't know if it's better or not, but I suspect that it cost Gibson less to produce guitars using this method of binding. Did they pass those cost savings down to the customer in the form of lower prices.

They actually raised the price of most guitars.

• 1 month later...

I think it more net and clean looking and nicer on the hands but they should of lowered the price not raise it. Labour is less for over binding. But that is where the cryogenic frets come in for the price increase.

cryo treated frets.....what a laugh!

can somebody explain to me what the difference will be when the molecular "strands" are lined up like toothpicks in a box instead of non directional?

didn't stop corrosion in/on rifle barrels in the '90s, but it's supposed to on frets? [lol]

maybe people want their frets more brittle so they crack like many of those barrels eventually did, but not me.

wasn't sold on cryo when I was a pro gunsmith.....still not sold on it now.

Archived