Gibson Brands Forums

strumming marks on a cedar top

blindboygrunt

That's what I get for assuming..by the look of the bridge. Still a nice looking guitar though. It has a simple elegance to it.

Well , he worked there from the start etc. Was just one he built on commission for the guy I bought it from.

The guy asked sam if he could do some sort of deal to get him a lowden (Their wives worked together) and sam said I have a few parts here , I'll assemble them if youre not fussy about having lowden on the headstock. Guy wasnt and thats where it came from

Its as nice as any lowden I've played

You could insert a lot of things apart from 'cedar top guitars' into that equation FOP.

Being an Irishman, I can verify that!! :)

Hmmm.. what is it about Irishmen and guitars. Here's the '72 Guild F-30R I toured with. Still a LONG way from Glen's Tak.

GuildF-30RTop-1.jpg

DC

Being an Irishman, I can verify that!! :)

Hmmm.. what is it about Irishmen and guitars. Here's the '72 Guild F-30R I toured with. Still a LONG way from Glen's Tak.

GuildF-30RTop-1.jpg

DC

Nice one DRC, plenty of mojo. I thought Guilds were build like tanks, but it looks like they can't resist the Irishman's heavy right hand.

If it was me,(which its not) I would just go with the marks/wear. I think alot of times, it gives a guitar a warm broken in feel, ads character to it, like a well worn J45 or whatever, I like much better then a new, unmarked, unplayed looking guitar. Thats just me....

Looks like the scratches go down to the white meat.... if the wood is unprotected, uhh? For just scratches in the lacquer you can rub with fine pumice powder on a soft oily cloth, which is beyond fine sandpaper, and then buff the lacquer shine back. (best the oil not penetrate the bare wood.) Or just take regular gloss lacquer and heavily thin it to almost water... using a fine brush, tediously dab it into the scratches. Let dry overnite, won't make the guitar into a collectors item but... you put the lime in the coconut and drink the bowl up, but don't call me in the a.m.

Irish men + Cedar top guitars = Destructive Relationship

glen-hansard-1_zps3d402fed.jpg

That's a fairly old pic, isn't it?

I wonder how the guitar, and the operator are looking now?

Amazing shot - wonder what holds it all together?

And BBG, you have a way to go with yours before you need to get so worried.

BluesKing777.

Archived