Gibson Brands Forums

Snowy White's LP coming up for sale

jdgm

Hi to all

Snowy White is retiring soon and will be selling his famous 1957 Gold Top LP, used on many classic recordings and concerts.

http://www.snowywhite.com/goldtopinfo/

Should get him a few bob methinks....no doubt will go for big money.

Anyway...glad to be back here; my hard drive went down 3 weeks ago and that was that - I came in after a concert and turned the computer on to make a post about it and - zilcho. Nada. Fortunately I backed up most things.

The concert (in London) was Ralph Towner followed by Egberto Gismonti. Ralph was just superb as usual but I didn't connect with Gismonti's music, not like the rest of the audience anyway.

Regards and best wishes to everyone!

DAMN ! ! ! !

Here's me just having siphoned-off $2 - $3 Mil from the housekeeping budget for the #0001 Strat and that busybody has to put his axe up for sale at the same time!

Pshaw!

I'll have to find an extra Mil or two sharpish!...

To be serious for a moment; it was rumoured that Snowy was thinking about retiring. That, if true, would be terrible news.

P.

EDIT : I had wondered where you were, BTW!

I can't understand why Snowy would want to retire, unless he's just got bored with playing guitar, let alone sell his beloved Les Paul? After all he did turn down the chance to acquire Peter Green's Les Paul, but he would have had to sell his gold top. If the guitar is that important to you, I for one, would never sell it.

Ian

I wonder how much he wants for it? After all, you can get a brand new R57 for £3199:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid28092/cid671/gibson-custom-shop-1957-les-paul-goldtop-guitar-gloss.asp

Snowy's is 57 years old, and I have to say, it's looking in a pretty sorry state! I'm sure he will be happy to take a couple of hundred for it. LOL

Ian

snowy.jpg

As I've posted before. My brother worked on the crew with Pink Floyd and got on well with Snowy. He hinted then he'd sell it. For £100k!

I can't see it fetching that myself.

I should imagine it's part of his pension.

Nice snap, lashurst. I've seen it before, of course, but it's always nice to see it again!

'Warms the Cockles of One's Heart' so to speak.

[thumbup]

Hmm.....

My immediate thought was 'Surely it's worth more than £100k but then I suppose Snowy isn't as well known as a lot of other 'Celebrity' players who sell / auction off their guitars.

OTOH the market for these pieces is hardly for the likes of 'You and Me' (no offence to anyone hereabouts who might be worth millions, BTW) so I would hope the guitar receives the attention it justly deserves.

P.

Hm - I meant copper(II)-hydroxide-carbonate, copper(II)-hydroxide-chloride, copper(II)-hydroxide-sulfate (rarely due to sweat, mostly caused by chemical weathering), and copper(II)-acetate.

In short, everything that made the copper of the Gold Top finish turning green.

You know that thread about 'Conversing in Text' and how it doesn't always translate too well, Cap?

This is a Prime Example!

[thumbup]

P.

Thought about your lines and things not translating too well. On research, I found this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9formation_professionnelle

Seems to be my personal chemistry in a double sense [blush]

Speakina Snowy and Brits in general...

We had the first couple Kate Bush records out the other day and I put them into the studio systems and just. blasted. it.

Awesome. I had not felt them like that in a long time. It was nice to listen to those three front to back. Man that felt good.

So Snowy knows her and stuff, but I don't think they ever recorded anything, so that's how it got hijacked here.

She's like a Knight now or something. One of those things the Princess gives you or some other fukcing Brits hit like that.

rct

I think Snowy has worked with quite a lot of artists in the past, notably Peter Green, Pink Floyd, Rodger Waters, Al Stewart and, of course Thin Lizzy. Truly a great blues guitar player, sad to see him retire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zrhko0wJJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66vCefeUN0

I think Al Stewart some of the cleverest lyrics in recent popular music.

Ian

Something about this bothers me...

It just doesn't make sense. The only thing I can wrap my head around is that Snowy is not up to touring the way he once did and the way the music industry has changed there just aren't the record sales royalties coming in that there once were and it's too hard on him to go touring for the better part of the year to support himself. It does appear to be his pension/retirement nest-egg from anything I can understand out of this...

I'm hoping it's not some strange admission of something potentially terminal going on with him health-wise...

To me it would be utterly heart-breaking to part with a guitar with that kind of life history attached to it... I think I'd rather die, but I suppose if he's facing debt and an inability to support himself in his twilight years, it's a reasonable plan to put into practice...

I just think that he's worth more than that and that his music is too. I wish he didn't have to sell it. He shouldn't have to sell it and unless he's actually the type that likes new things and simply wants to move on, he shouldn't have to... It's a shame in my eyes...

I hope all the best for him and I hope it doesn't simply end up on a Hard Rock Cafe wall somewhere collecting dust...

That thing needs to make music and it needs to be in his hands IMHO...

Something about the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me...

Archived