Gibson Brands Forums

An Unexpected NBD

MrNylon

Friday I went into my local GC just to look around. They had a Fender Am. Spl. Honeyburst Precision, new and not kid destroyed, yet. I plugged it into an amp, and it talked to me. It was also on an instant rebate of $200.00. For an Am. Spl., the wood grain in the Alder is pretty decent too.

wEtOeqt.jpgNQMpKAe.jpgF2HEwD7.jpg

Man, this one looks nice. Congrats, mate, HNBD! [thumbup]

Viewing the pics I guess you already restrung it using your favorite Black Nylons? [rolleyes]

Thank you. Nothing gets past you. I restrung it when I got it home. I had a set that was on a previous Fender Standard Precision. The lengths of the two were exact. [thumbup]

svS3C9T.jpg

Some of Fender's recent alder bodies have much more decent graining than I know from elder ones. No pun about elder alder intended... [biggrin] That of a 2013 maple top MIM Strat of mine has such a nice back that the top perhaps might look even better without the maple veneer... [rolleyes]

However, the body of your new Precision is topping all the alder bodies I ever got to see. I also can't imagine any finish matching it better. [thumbup]

Some of Fender's recent alder bodies have much more decent graining than I know from elder ones. No pun about elder alder intended... [biggrin] That of a 2013 maple top MIM Strat of mine has such a nice back that the top perhaps might look even better without the maple veneer... [rolleyes]

However, the body of your new Precision is topping all the alder bodies I ever got to see. I also can't imagine any finish matching it better. [thumbup]

I know what you mean about the Alder grains. It's been a while since I've seen any close to this Am. Spl. I'm only seeing two boards on the back of the body also. Not to bad.

This a shot of my Am. Std. Fretless.

bEMyFU3.jpg

That finish is gorgeous

Thanks. I'd like to see them offer the Honeyburst on other more standard series Axes. I was lucky to get one that wasn't beat up yet by the folks who don't treat store Axes to carefully.

I know what you mean about the Alder grains. It's been a while since I've seen any close to this Am. Spl. I'm only seeing two boards on the back of the body also. Not to bad.

This a shot of my Am. Std. Fretless.

bEMyFU3.jpg

Looks dearly nice indeed. [thumbup] There are not so many Fenders with center-seamed two-piece bodies. The alder bodies of a brown-sunburst MIM Strat and a two-tone sunburst MIM 60 Years Anniversary Nashville Power Tele of mine are made this way, too.

I admit to liking the looks of the Nylon D'Addario strings also, but I really like the flat string sound, and low thump from them also. [thumbup]

Like the flatwound sound, too. One of my SG basses and one of my EB basses are strung flat. They put out a deep pumping tone even when plucked hard, matching some blues and rock'n'roll styles distinctively better than roundwounds with a tweaked tone control. B)

I admit to liking the looks of the Nylon D'Addario strings also, but I really like the flat string sound, and low thump from them also. [thumbup]

I've just ordered some more rotowound. The last set of flatwounds I tried were just too mellow for me and didnt suit my playing style. Some brighter one's would probably be really nice because I like the feel of flatwound as well. Any recommendations?

I've just ordered some more rotowound. The last set of flatwounds I tried were just too mellow for me and didnt suit my playing style. Some brighter one's would probably be really nice because I like the feel of flatwound as well. Any recommendations?

I'm stuck on the D'Addario strings. They have flats that I used in the past, and liked the available gauges. The ETB92 Nylons are, .50, .65, .85, .105.

F2HEwD7.jpg

Yeah Fender and Ric basses are the best. My brother has a Ric bass and I have the Geddy Lee Signature Jazz bass. I also got $200 off the bass, so I of course HAD to get it (I'm not a bass player at all though). I love what Fender did with their American Special series. Sweet addition to your collection.

Archived