Gibson Brands Forums

Your guitar collection

Drog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently have 33 guitars in my care.I say "In my care" as I really don't consider myself an owner as such but as a temporary custodian whose duty it is to maintain these guitars and keep them in as good and close to the original condition as possible so that with any luck they will be around for possibly hundreds of years for future generations of musicians to enjoy,just as violinists of today are enjoying Stradivarius,Amati and Guarneri violins that were made back in the 18th century.There are Martins from the mid 19th century still being enjoyed today and there are even guitars that were made by Antonio Stradivari being played today also.I cringe when I see some fool buy an old guitar and proceed to deface it by dropping in a set of DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups and camo paint jobs.I endeavour to keep old guitars especially as close to original condition as possible so that some day 200 years in the future some guitarist will pick up a guitar that brought me years of enjoyment and marvel over how good it still sounded after so many years and appreciate the fact that there were people who really loved the guitars for what they were and respected them as being true works of art that should be conserved for as long as humanly possible.It is incumbent on every collector to keep the guitars that they have in their care in as good a condition as they possibly can so that future musicians can get just as much or more enjoyment from them in generations to come.

Guest Farnsbarns

Here's a few all together. Just got the wall hangers so this is the first group shot I've ever posted. The Epi SG and my luthier made nylon acoustic will be replacing the banjo and the Hofner beater later on.

IMG_20140426_175555.jpg

And here's a good shot of my R8 on a chair which might look familiar (read back through the thread)...

FarnsR8lo-res.jpg

Where's Pippy?

Guest Farnsbarns

Well Farns, there is no doubt that the grain on your R8 is beautiful but it's the burst that was so perfectly painted that really make the whole thing come together… Just saying'...

Thanks, Dave. Weirdly, the burst seems to follow the grain up by the switch whenever it's photographed but in real life the effect is far less pronounced. It can be seen and I suppose it's due to the differing densities causing the dye to take better one side of the grain line. There's no doubt it's a looker but I would never have chosen Ice Tea if it weren't for how it sounded and felt in the shop.

Love both the LP's on the end. Especially the blue one!

Thanks dbrian66,

The blue one is a LP robot and the burst on the right of the blue one is a 1960 historic re-issue.

Poor picture though. I'll have to get my wife's camera and get some good recent ones.

Archived