Gibson Brands Forums

What model Les Paul has f holes?

guitar_randy

Anyone get the May issue of the Musicians friend catalog? In the section towards the front where it has Gibsons,in the Les Paul section,it shows a Gibson Les Paul model which ,in the photo shows the guitar with f holes.In the write up description it doesn't mention it and it also does not state it is a semi or hollow body guitar. I tried to look it up and find it on the online musicans friend catalog and on Gibson website but cannot find it there. Anyone know what this is? Is it a semi hollow Les Paul shape guitar or is it a solid bodt Les Paul with painted on f holes for design? I know painted on f holes for design would be strange in my opinion but who knows with Henry.

Anyone get the May issue of the Musicians friend catalog? In the section towards the front where it has Gibsons,in the Les Paul section,it shows a Gibson Les Paul model which ,in the photo shows the guitar with f holes.In the write up description it doesn't mention it and it also does not state it is a semi or hollow body guitar. I tried to look it up and find it on the online musicans friend catalog and on Gibson website but cannot find it there. Anyone know what this is? Is it a semi hollow Les Paul shape guitar or is it a solid bodt Les Paul with painted on f holes for design? I know painted on f holes for design would be strange in my opinion but who knows with Henry.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson_custom_shop/2013_limited_run.htm

Yes on the Florentine; there's a new "special" out with an "F" hole too, but a flat top.

I played one that was built pretty much like an ES maybe 10 years ago and wasn't personally particularly impressed. The shape and playing geometry is pretty much the same as a regular LP, but it seemed neck heavy to me.

Then again... I'm not a particular fan of the LP shape regardless. So... I didn't check model or whatever on it.

m

I can see it on an es type model guitar because usually they have a wider body on them except the es-339 which is nice also.

But on a LP it just does not seem to have enough air space to make much of a difference. On a hollow body guitar there would be more air space perhaps to have f-holes.

I think it is more for decoration than anything else, except on a full-bodied guitar in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

I actually like all of the Gibson semi solid guitars. The Vegas, Pat Martino, Midtown, and Blueshawk and a few others like them are among the neatest ideas that Gibson can't get off the ground.

I don't get it. Players crab about the weight of a LP, and about the big bodied semi hollows all the time. But, when a perfect solution to a long gig or recording sessions comes up they nit pick and grab the LP or 335. Go figure!

Archived