Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

Skyline_UK

I'm thinking of getting the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus in Midnight Sapphire. I have a Joe Bonamassa gold top and three other Epis and really like them. Has anyone bought one of the Tribute Plus models and can tell me what they think of them? Thanks.

Posted several times on mine here since I own it. I bought it in March 2013.

It's a definitive no-brainer. The price went up from 449 EUR to 629 EUR within a year, so it's no longer the extreme bargain it has been once, but I think still worth the money. You won't get "more Les Paul" for that.

Compared to my Gibson LPs starting at more than three times the price, the Epi Tribute LP lacks a bit punch when pushed hard and sounds more compressed. I guess this is due to the softer nato mahogany used for construction. On the other hand, when played moderately and recorded using the series humbucking settings they have in common, I can't discern the Epi Tribute LP featuring '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus from my Gibson LP Standard 2012 with Burstbucker Pros in a double blind listening test. In contrary, I easily detect each of the other four Gibson LPs of mine, compared to each other and to the Epi, including those with '57 Classics and '57 Classic Pluses. They are strung with same brand and make strings, and except for my Alex Lifeson Axcess model same gauge, too.

Besides the Axcess models no Gibson LP provides parallel humbucking options, so the Epi is a nice complement to my Gibsons in this respect, too. I would buy it again. Those I played before buying also were rather consistent. However, they will need a setup. In my case, they all suffered from the neck being bent backwards.

Hope this helps.

I am a new 1960s Tribute Plus owner and I love my guitar but I am very new to playing. I bought mine because of the following; the Gibson pickups and better wiring, the size and comfort when I play it, the neck is slim and feels faster, the sound and sustain, and the bang for the buck. My guitar was made in 2013 and the price did not go up on it this year. If I had ordered a new one it would have been over $700 (after taxes).

They are a lot of guitar for the money and they are not hard on the eyes. I would buy again if mine were lost or stolen. No regrets.

IMAG0216_zpstyjhllda.jpg

Jay

Many thanks guys for the very helpful replies!

I'm going to get one, but I'm going to see if I can check one out at a store in nearby Birmingham rather than order online which is what I usually do. As far as set up is concerned, I've never bought a guitar of any make that was setup - even though some shops say they always do one. Luckily I live near a first class technician who used to be factory manager for Patrick Eggle and he sets up and maintains all my guitars. Not cheap by any means, but essential; once you have a first class total setup you realise how guitars should really play, feel and sound.

I'll report back!

Here's mine in MS. Love it. If you get one you won't be disappointed. I will say though, it's heavy (mine comes in at 9.5lb) if that might be an issue for you.

DSCN0083_zpsb66c65d0.jpg

DSCN0082_zpsd8c11ee0.jpg

Quite a few of us have Tribute Plus Les Paul's and they are a LOT of guitar for your money.

But unless you are very lucky you will need to get a good set up. I have four Epiphones and only one of those has proved playable from the off (it still is). All the rest needed work.

Many thanks guys for the very helpful replies!

I'm going to get one, but I'm going to see if I can check one out at a store in nearby Birmingham rather than order online which is what I usually do. As far as set up is concerned, I've never bought a guitar of any make that was setup - even though some shops say they always do one. Luckily I live near a first class technician who used to be factory manager for Patrick Eggle and he sets up and maintains all my guitars. Not cheap by any means, but essential; once you have a first class total setup you realise how guitars should really play, feel and sound.

I'll report back!

Since there was no need for sanding down anything, I did the setup on mine myself as I do with all guitars. No trouble so far, and the neck needed just a slight redoing a few days later. I have to add that I changed from the stock 10 - 46 strings to 11 - 50 from the start.

The fretboard came dyed with black colour which rubbed off and blackened my fingers. So I removed it using Klever Ballistol all-vegetable gun oil, and the fretboard felt and looked even nicer than before. [thumbup]

The fretboard came dyed with black colour which rubbed off and blackened my fingers. So I removed it using Klever Ballistol all-vegetable gun oil, and the fretboard felt and looked even nicer than before. [thumbup]

I wonder why Epiphone put that gunk on their fretboards? It was on my Tribute Plus too but the worst offender was my Epi ES345 which could only be described as filthy with the muck.

I wonder why Epiphone put that gunk on their fretboards? It was on my Tribute Plus too but the worst offender was my Epi ES345 which could only be described as filthy with the muck.

I was wondering about that, too, especially after removing. There would have been no need for that, not in the slightest. [confused]

the Epi Tribute LP lacks a bit punch when pushed hard and sounds more compressed. I guess this is due to the softer nato mahogany used for construction.

Hope this helps.

Good guitar for the money and one of the best in the Epiphone line.

I found the same thing in playing mine to my Gibson. You described it well though I think comes from the Epiphone maple top. I say that as I also bought when guys were talking about them the special Sam Ash gold top standard run from a few years back and I think is all Hog and no maple cap. That guitar has the same punch and tone as my Gibson just minus the last 10% of "sing" from the poly vs nitro I would guess.

That guitar has the same Gibson 57s, wiring as the 1960 Tribute and same body size, my Gibson's body is a bit fatter/deeper.

Good value but to my ear does not have the same punch as the Gibson but will do the split coil thing so nice guitar.

If you can play before you buy.

I'm glad to see this thread. This is one Les Paul that I didn't pay much attention to, and after reading through this thread I wish I did. Is it true then that they are using the same humbuckers that Gibson used back in 57? I hate to sound doubtful, but it's hard to fully believe advertising these days. If they are using the same pups, then the sound coupled with a good amp must be outstanding. I guess the use of these pups must have been by a special request to Gibson.

After removing the stuff was your fretboard lighter? Is it a stain of some sort?

Don't know what kind of stuff it was, I guess black stain in oil varnish or the like.

Interestingly, the fretboard looked virtually the same after removing the dye. I just could see how the cloth blackened, and my fingers no longer did so. Therefore I knew it worked, hahaha!

I will never understand why they put that on. The fretboard timber itself is darker than the rosewood of all of my Gibsons, and nearly as black as that of two MIM Fender Strats of mine. Those Fenders are undyed, by the way.

I'm glad to see this thread. This is one Les Paul that I didn't pay much attention to, and after reading through this thread I wish I did. Is it true then that they are using the same humbuckers that Gibson used back in 57? I hate to sound doubtful, but it's hard to fully believe advertising these days. If they are using the same pups, then the sound coupled with a good amp must be outstanding. I guess the use of these pups must have been by a special request to Gibson.

I think they're a reissue wound to the same specs (don't quote me on that). I haven't opened mine up but they're supposed to even have the Patent Applied For sticker on them even. As far as the fretboard goes, mine had this kind of white film on it. I cleaned that off and it looked a lot like the one in Midtowner's pic.

I think they're a reissue wound to the same specs (don't quote me on that). I haven't opened mine up but they're supposed to even have the Patent Applied For sticker on them even. As far as the fretboard goes, mine had this kind of white film on it. I cleaned that off and it looked a lot like the one in Midtowner's pic.

What did you use to clean it with? I had mine in the sun this afternoon and noticed the film on mine too.

Jay

What did you use to clean it with? I had mine in the sun this afternoon and noticed the film on mine too.

Jay

I used a little naptha (lighter fluid) then treaded it with some lemon oil.

Jay

I used a little naptha (lighter fluid) then treaded it with some lemon oil.

Okay, visited GuitarGuitar store in Birmingham UK yesterday and tried one. The colour Midnight Sapphire was actually purple!!! Odd. Not the colour I'd seen on internet/forum photos. I'm going to pass on this one and wait for the Joe Bonamassa Pelham Blue due out in a couple of months.

Okay, visited GuitarGuitar store in Birmingham UK yesterday and tried one. The colour Midnight Sapphire was actually purple!!! Odd. Not the colour I'd seen on internet/forum photos. I'm going to pass on this one and wait for the Joe Bonamassa Pelham Blue due out in a couple of months.

I have been making eyes at the Sapphire online and was going to visit GuitarGuitar in Glasgow tomorrow to test it. What caused you to wait, was it just the colour or was there something else?

That's strange indeed. Perhaps they recreated the Gibson Gem Amethyst finish by accident? <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got one myself this afternoon. She is literally flawless! Mine is the Fade Cherry finish.

As with my Wildkat (Antique Natural), Sheraton II (Natural), I found that no pictures could truly do her justice. The Faded Cherry often looks very crass and overly bright from online picture (both home candid shots, as well as retailer websites. Yet in person, the finish on my is stunning.

Now, with regards to this finish on the top of mine, some may consider it to be a "flaw", but the AAA flame top finish is not as pronounced on mine as it is on ALL the others I've seen. Others may have chosen to send theirs back in favor of the more pronounced "tiger stripped" AAA flame look, but I really appreciate the more subtle look of mine. The second I opened the case, I immediately thought, "Jimmy Page!". It just has a more dignified, classic Les Paul look to it.

Since it's just been a few hours since receiving her, I've yet to restring her with my preferred stings (Fender Silver Bullets, but even with the crappy stock strings, she sings. The neck is one of the best fitting in my hand, slightly different to the Sheraton II, yet similar in comfort.

I was going to wait until the end of the year to make this purchase, but I'm not all that sure many will be around (new) by then. I would suggest to anyone with even a slight bit of GAS for this one, act soon, my friends! This one is a total keeper!

...photos still to come for those who care...

Archived