Gibson Brands Forums

Fleetwood Mac

rct

Peter Green is an icon to many guitarists and wannabe's and no doubt defined the band in the first incarnation...

Must admit to being bored by yet another 'Dust my Broom' type 12 bar on many early albums..

V

:-({|=

Yeah. And another thing. I prefer Judas Priest cover of "Green Manalishi" over Peter Greens original. :unsure:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
......I prefer Judas Priest cover of "Green Manalishi" over Peter Greens original...

[scared]

In an echo of the (in)famous incident at Manchester's Free Trade Hall, 17 May '66, I was tempted to yell "Judas!" but thought better of it............LOL!

Hey, whatever version you prefer is absolutely fine, saturn. There is no absolute right or wrong in this debate.

I myself am in the minority in my preference for Greeny's version of 'Black Magic Woman' to the far more famous version by ol' Devadip. Go figure?!

P.

Seriously...... I'm so sick of Rhiana...... Every classic rock station just plays that song to death [thumbdn]

I know, duane. It's why I no longer listen to the "Classic Rock" stations out here anymore. Seems all they think Fleetwood Mac ever released was, "Rhiannon", "Go Your Own Way", "Dreams", and "Don't Stop"(!). [cursing] Awesome songs… but annoying how their other awesome songs are ignored by these cookie-cutter stations.

The station I listen to plays a great mix old and new music. When they play Fleetwood Mac, they'll play songs like "Hypnotized", "World Turning", or… wait for it… a Peter Green era track.

Must admit to being bored by yet another 'Dust my Broom' type 12 bar on many early albums..

V

:-({|=

I really never found myself getting into the Jeremy Spencer tunes... When he pulled the parody or side project band stuff; Like the Orange Electric Squitters, I'm thinkin' he had his own home-grown mental illness already... It was probably just the times though...

While he hit some real nice covers of Elmore James tunes and a couple of his originals were great Elmore James style songs that are very good. I too grow sick of them... Funny, I can listen to Elmore all day long!

If any of the accusations and charges of child abuse that have been levied against Jeremy Spencer are true, then he's a POS and I can see why I don't really care for him. If they were false accusations and a spiteful character assault then shame on those that brought up those charges against him... But if they're true, it's a really really bad thing. The accusations are vulgar, obscene, and horribly monstrous!

I did some research and read some of the "religeous" flyers and pamphlets he authored during his time with The Children of God cult and his speak and prose recalling his history with Fleetwood Mac are full of pretty lousy accusations of his own toward Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green etc. I could see why they should shun him from what appears to have been written by him during his tenure with the cult which lasted for decades and had terrible fallout for him, his wife, and children. But I've seen Mick Fleetwood and John McVie sit down with Jeremy in recent years doing documentary stuff about Peter & the original Fleetwood Mac so either they have come to believe Jeremy was forced to write those things and they don't believe the accusations leveled against him, or they have some other reason for still associating with him...

Not sure what to make of it all myself, and frankly I don't want to put in the effort to try and sort it all out...

But I too do grow weary of the Jeremy Spencer tracks on their albums for sure... I also never thought much of his Buddy Holly or Elvis style impressionist songs either...

Yeah. And another thing. I prefer Judas Priest cover of "Green Manalishi" over Peter Greens original. :unsure:

That was another one I was fully surprised to find out was a Peter Green original after knowing as the Judas Priest signature song that it always seemed to be...

It just made me even more amazed at Peter's prolific song writing...

It does show some of his mental decline as it was specifically a recurring nightmare of his that he put into song according to one of his explanations... Another version says he started having that nightmare after one of his early acid trip experimentations and it began haunting him thereafter...

I myself am in the minority in my preference for Greeny's version of 'Black Magic Woman' to the far more famous version by ol' Devadip. Go figure?!

P.

I'm with ya! I absolutely love Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac version! Especially the ones recorded w/Danny Kirwan!

I never had a problem with any of Stevie's vocals,a lot of the songs that featured her lead vocals were overplayed to the point of causing nausea to the listener.One day after playing Fleetwood Mac's "Over My Head" the "know it all" local disc jockey,who obviously fancies himself an authority on rock trivia,proclaimed when the song was over,that "Over My Head" was the best song that Stevie Nicks ever sang-what an ultra maroon.

Archived