Gibson Brands Forums

Fleetwood Mac

rct

Two confessions, haters can enjoy Hate2.

To the English among us: Long ago, when I was young and powerful, and for a long time, I would have left Kate Bush on Christmas morning, presents under the tree, for Stevie Nicks. I'm sorry, but there it is.

To the guitar players from everywhere: I have heard everything Peter Green did with Fleetwood Mac exactly once. meh. That's all I had for it back then, and I haven't listened to that stuff since.

Fleetwood Mac will always be those two witches. I still love them terribly. So laugh at me, I don't care. I'm not interested in out of phase reversed pickups, I'm just not that cool. I don't give a crap about Greenie, but man I love that Rumors record and a couple after it and my BluRay of the last shows with Christine and all of Buckingham/Nicks and all of her solo stuff.

I'm sorry.

not

rct

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with either version of the band really... Hard to compare the two, all they really had in common was the name.

Always loved this performance though... impressive..

Yeah, I always giggle, when people call the Peter Green "Fleetwood Mac" era, the ONLY

REAL "Fleetwood Mac!" [rolleyes] And, I LOVE that era of the band. BUT, I also LOVE

the later version, which MOST people think of as "The Real" Fleetwood Mac, as well.

So...??? [biggrin]

CB

Yeah, I always giggle, when people call the Peter Green "Fleetwood Mac" era, the ONLY

REAL "Fleetwood Mac!" [rolleyes] And, I LOVE that era of the band. BUT, I also LOVE

the later version, which MOST people think of as "The Real" Fleetwood Mac, as well.

So...??? [biggrin]

CB

I agree, charlie brown. Fleetwood Mac has always been, to me, two different bands with the same name.

First off, it's good news to hear that the lovely Christine McVie (a pretty girl with a great voice) has rejoined the band...

...and, Lindsey Buckingham is a really good, and underrated, guitarist, but he's no Peter Green (IMHO)...

...plus, Bob Welch was no hack, himself...

...but I think the ultimate Fleetwood Mac would have included Peter Green AND the steamy Stevie Nicks.

To each his own I guess....

Well, Stevie's vocals (and Christine's, too) have made a lot of Fleetwood Mac songs unique, and iconic, as well.

Somewhat like Chrissie Hynde has done, with The Pretenders. No one else, would sound

"right" doing those songs. They might do an otherwise terrific job/cover, but it would

still not be Stevie, or Chrissie...whatever the case may be.

One of the problems, with "tribute" bands, especially (for me) Beatle tributes, is any attempt

to mimic their iconic voices, comes off as a parody of "The Ruttles" (or worse), IMHO. And, I

loved The Ruttles, as much as anyone. [biggrin]

CB

My favorite FM years are pre-Buckingham-Nicks, but there are a lot of great songs that have come out of that band with every line-up. Christine McVie is one of my favorite female musicians.

<snip>...Fleetwood Mac will always be those two witches. I still love them terribly. So laugh at me, I don't care. I'm not interested in out of phase reversed pickups, I'm just not that cool. I don't give a crap about Greenie, but man I love that Rumors record and a couple after it and my BluRay of the last shows with Christine and all of Buckingham/Nicks and all of her solo stuff.

I'm sorry.

not

rct

Bwaaahahahaahaaahahahaaahahaaahahaahahahahaa.

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

If I never hear Buckingham/Nicks again it will be too soon!

But that's just me. Or maybe someone else. [wink]

Hey who is better you think Buckingham/Nicks or Blackmore's Night?

I don't like Blackmore's Knight at all. I wouldn't even download their albums for free. At least when Buckingham/Nicks/Mac started, I liked them. They just got played out so much on the radio, I can't listen to 'em anymore. Along with a lot of other bands of the time. Can you say Eagles?

I like both the PG days and the Buckingham-Nicks era.

For me the PG version wrote a lot of songs which I (really) like to play on the guitar.

The B/N version wrote a lot of songs which I enjoy listening to.

P.

I like both the PG days and the Buckingham-Nicks era.

For me the PG version wrote a lot of songs which I (really) like to play on the guitar.

The B/N version wrote a lot of songs which I enjoy listening to.

P.

[thumbup] Same here. Admittedly I'm not that into fingerpicking that trying to play Buckingham would be fun for me. [rolleyes]

It's all about songs to me, and FM had some great songs IMO from every era.

I don't claim to know their entire catalog, but I can't think of anything by them that I really don't like, and most of what I know is great. "Hypnotized" from the Welch era is one of my faves. It has such an awesome, moody atmosphere. Peter Green played some great, gritty blues style guitar and Lindsay is definitely on my short list of favorite guitarists. Also some of the most under rated bass lines and drumming on all their songs. Again IMO. Stevie was/is great too, but I generally find myself favoring the Christine Mcvie songs. :-k

my wife was big time into them when they were on top of the game with the rumors album.

For some reason,, they never really caught on with me, it took me quite a while to realize just how good Buckingham really is.

and it's ok Rich,, we are ok with your deepest darkest feelings here! really !!!

Im a fan of all era's of Fleetwood Mac. Although I'm a bigger fan of some of the 9 guitarists than others. Rumours was the album we had in the house when I was growing up so thats what I tended to play when I want to chill out

For some reason,, they never really caught on with me, it took me quite a while to realize just how good Buckingham really is.

Buckingham really is underrated in my opinion. I'm guessing some will say he's not though

Archived