Gibson Brands Forums

Ronstadt Plays Guitar?

brians356

I have always worshipped Linda Ronstadt, but I never knew she plays guitar! I stumbled on this "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" video. She's really playing, and in that format, live, there's nowhere to hide. The acoustic guitar is critical in that tune, played almost exactly as it was laid down in the studio on "Heart Like a Wheel" (with acoustic tracks by Bob Warford.) At one point she actually comes off the microphone a bit to glance at her left hand. If I had to pick one woman with whom to be stranded on a desert island with a couple of guitars ... or even without the guitars.

Also, I never noticed before, that song was penned by Paul Anka.

For my money there are no two female vocal albums better than "Heart Like a Wheel" (1974) and "Prisoner in Disguise" (1975.) She's a goddess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us26qEQyTPk&feature=related

I admire Ronstadt as well. But along the line of female guitarist and vocalist I would have to include Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart.

The acoustics in "Dreamboat Anie, dog & butterfly etc are nicely arrainged and good stuff to learn. But yea Linda is right there as well. Any other female guitarist/vocalist we should mention here? Cheryl Crow comes to mind.

I was a huge fan of Linda Ronstadt in the 70's and early 80's. I had no idea she played Guitar! Loved the Don Kirshner's Rock Concerts in the 70's. I remember they used to be on Friday nights. Rock Concerts on TV was a great concept back then. Still wish they did them today.

Back in the day, Linda Ronstadt was hot. In recent times...not so much but she still has her voice. In this old video, she is in her prime and does a beautiful rendition of a great song. Looks like it was the pre Waddy group.

I always liked the Simple Man Simple Dreams album. She can cover about any style. I also liked her early country stuff- I fall to pieces, Silver Threads and Golden Needles, I can't help it if I'm still in love with you, etc.

+1 for Dido ..... and KT..... oh and Sheryl ......Emmylou too

I wouldn't kick any of them out of my bed ....

P.S. Linda too ....but only if I had a time machine to the late 70's

Ditto on Emmylou and KT. Love their music, too. Talented ladies.

Archived