Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Holes

Randmo

Here is an interesting video on how to properly install your strings without damaging bridge plate and pin holes. He suggests you use a mirror after installation to inspect. This is interesting since we were just discussing this in this forum

I use a telescoping auto inspection mirror, which can be easily slipped through the soundhole with the strings on. I remove & change one string at time, checking for proper seating as each string is changed out (see similar answer re the Stew-Mac video).

I use a telescoping auto inspection mirror, which can be easily slipped through the soundhole with the strings on. I remove & change one string at time, checking for proper seating as each string is changed out (see similar answer re the Stew-Mac video).

Geez - I am sure there is some kind of a psychobabble term for going to these kind of lengths.

Here is an interesting video on how to properly install your strings without damaging bridge plate and pin holes. He suggests you use a mirror after installation to inspect. This is interesting since we were just discussing this in this forum

I am not sure how we survived before the Internet.

It's a bit weird this all....

The guy in the video puts up quite a good idea really. makes it foolproof.

but , all us old hats are laughing at the lengths being gone to.

The only people who need to file the ends off are maybe novices who haven't learnt properly to string up.

What do we tell beginners now?

oh take all your bridge pins out and slice them ?

more medicine rather than a cure

Geez - I am sure there is some kind of a psychobabble term for going to these kind of lengths.

Zomby - This seems extreme to you? It only takes a moment to check the ball placement. Getting it right can take a bit longer if it's off, but imho, you of all people with your vintage off-brand instruments could benefit by doing this. Those are the exact guitars that alerted me to how common a chewed up bridge plate can be, and I have most certainly seen it result in the worst case scenario - a cracked top just behind the bridge.

It's simply preventative maintenance. Kinda like changing your oil and spending a few bucks to put in a new filter every time (okay, I still do my own oil changes every 3000 miles, so maybe the psychobabble term is textbook OCDness).

I use Drathbun's technique above by bending the ball end and pulling up as I insert. I don't have a guitar sound hole mirror yet and use a tiny dentists tooth mirror and a flashlight to check ball placement. Anybody have any recommendations for a small cheap inspection mirror that works better than a dental tooth mirror?

Anybody have any recommendations for a small cheap inspection mirror that works better than a dental tooth mirror?

Check your local auto parts stores. I found an ideal telescoping inspection mirror many years ago for minimal cash, and it's significantly larger than a dental mirror.

The last time I touched a car engine was in the 1990s when I converted one I was planning to throw in my VW bus from fuel injection to carburation.

I do always check the bridge plate on any guitar I am thinking about bringing home. Other than that I might give them a look see once a year.

Check your local auto parts stores. I found an ideal telescoping inspection mirror many years ago for minimal cash, and it's significantly larger than a dental mirror.

Thank you! I just went to the Auto Zone...for just $3.99 they had the exact same inspection telescopic mirror that stewmac sells for $12.99..... I bought the larger sized Auto Zone inspection telescopic mirror for just $7.99 which other places were charging $16.99. It was twice the size easily and can see much better with the larger size. Auto Zone inspection mirror...Great deal..thanks for the tip!

The last time I touched a car engine was in the 1990s when I converted one I was planning to throw in my VW bus from fuel injection to carburation.

I do always check the bridge plate on any guitar I am thinking about bringing home. Other than that I might give them a look see once a year.

Zomby you should have thrown in an engine from from a wrecked Subaru WRX STI!!! Or a Porsche…..I've even seen folks retrofit V-8's into VW busses….lol

Archived