Gibson Brands Forums

Zen and my Martin D-18 A

duluthdan

I live 2 blocks from the grocery store. I used to own a motorcycle, but didn’t ride much. When it got to the stage that I found myself only riding the motorcycle to the grocery store and back, I sold it and bought a scooter. The 1937 Martin D-18 A I find myself with is very much a Ferrari of a guitar - wonderful instrument, but I find I don’t need that horsepower. I don’t flat pick, I don’t play bluegrass. Today it goes to Telluride in hopes that somebody going the the Telluride Bluegrass Festival can put the muscle in this thing to better use than I. The Gibson Legend I just acquired fits my style a bit better., its not a “scooter” in comparison, but its easier for me to ride... Hope this makes sense. I think its sort of a Zen thing.

185_zpsdacf55f3.jpg

So is it up for sale ?

In a few hours, after driving over mountain passes, it ought to be at Telluride Music, on consignment. I don't ship guitars, I don't want the drama. Of course if I end up listening to Bluegrass for the next 3 1/2 hours on the satellite radio, who knows? It could very well end up making the trip back home. But yes, the intention is to sell.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion with my Santa Cruz D/PW which I just sold. It was a great instrument, better than any of my slope shoulder guitars, but it just wasn't my style. So I know what you mean. And now you get to drive to Telluride again (or someone does) during what has to be the most spectacular time of year in these parts. Good luck with the sale.

Ive played a few D-18A's .... just waaaay over the top, total pitbutll on steroids, not my cuppa.

Well its a done deal. Handed my Martin to the guy at the store. He proceeds to rifle off some killer bluegrass runs, and I thought, "Wow, That guitar sounds really really great, I can't get rid of this." Then I realized, it sounds like that in HIS hands, not mine. I am now Martin-less, I guess. Good news is, there's an empty slot in the stable... and cash in the guitar fund... :rolleyes:

I have never played/seen one, but they certainly rave about the d18a's on UMGF.

So what was the problem with it? Too loud to sing with?

Too bright?

Maybe with your 'spare cash', you could look at a smaller box like a Blues King/L-00/LG?

BluesKing777.

It was a loud bright in your face kind of guitar - here's a video of Bryan Kimmsey (UMGF Fame) playing one rather softly. If you dig in at all, hold on. I want my mistakes to be muffled, [biggrin] Bright - robust sustain, it was just a race horse when all I need is a really good Pony.

It was a loud bright in your face kind of guitar - here's a video of Bryan Kimmsey (UMGF Fame) playing one rather softly. If you dig in at all, hold on. I want my mistakes to be muffled, [biggrin] Bright - robust sustain, it was just a race horse when all I need is a really good Pony.

Thanks Dan!

The video is a great example, isn't it? He hardly touches it with his right hand and it belts out!

After I watched that video, I clicked a link to the Acoustic Letter and ....Ha Ha Ho Ho...guess what new video they have.....?

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK. Those two videos together really do capture the comparison. Kimsey really plays lightly, and you can tell he has a tiger by the tail. Tony portrays the woody tone nicely - I can't tell from the back of the headstock, I'll look more closely later, but that may be the guitar I actually bought. [biggrin]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ylmX_YFGM&list=UU7-cryR94jvsfjX3ur9dHVQ

I am now Martin-less, I guess. Good news is, there's an empty slot in the stable... and cash in the guitar fund... :rolleyes:

Dan....there is a lot of ground left to cover. You might go a slightly different direction for that empty slot....have you given an LG-2 a go?

Yeah, I sorta feel the same about my Martin dred .... a lot of guitar for my style of music. But then I keep showing up at places where only Martins are played and I feel more at home with my D35 .... country/honky tonk is mostly played and at least I can be heard.

That is some guitar you sold, but an even more special one you replaced it with!

I have three guitars - my Gibby SJTV, a Martin D15M, and my recently acquired Martin 000-18. The D15 has my family's names engraved on it, so it is going nowhere. I do not play it nearly as much as I should. The 000-18 and SJTV are two totally different complementary sounds though, and I am done with guitars. Those two can give me every sound I need and want. The 000-18 is a really special find (it's the newly redesigned 2014 model).

Archived