Gibson Brands Forums

What's your opinion of this 50's era J-50 top?

twalker

Here's my question: The owner says the guitar is from the fifties but I've never seen such a yellowish top before. Most spruce tops tend to change to a brownish orange over time. I'm wondering if this guitar has been oversprayed or refinished.

What say you?

p1_uurp5sbix_ss.jpg

In the 1940s Gibson occasionally used an opaque yellow finish on some of their guitars - kinda looked like what you saw on an old Tele. But I do not think this is the case here. Again, it is often hard to judge true color from photographs. I know the middle part of the burst on my guitars always seems to come out looking alot more yellow in photos than it acutally is.

Since the browns and blacks look true I would be suspicious that the photography isn't off, and that this was recoated and ( mistakenly? ) tinted. Maybe well-intentioned color in the lacquer, but more yellow than I've ever seen. Hope you can get more pics and info if it's something you're looking to buy.

In the 1940s Gibson occasionally used an opaque yellow finish on some of their guitars - kinda looked like what you saw on an old Tele. But I do not think this is the case here. Again, it is often hard to judge true color from photographs. I know the middle part of the burst on my guitars always seems to come out looking alot more yellow in photos than it acutally is.

That was my first thought when I saw this - but my memory is that it was Banner era instruments that occasionally show up in the opaque blonde and this looks like second half of the 50s. As a standard J50, colour definitely looks off from the guitars I've had in hand of this era but not so much I'd want to call refinish without seeing more evidence.

The only Gibsons with that opaque yellow finish I have ever gotten my hands on were both made in 1942 - one was a J-35 and the other a J-50. I have also seen a couple of Epiphone archtops from that perid with the same finish.

With egard to the J-50 in question, I am still betting on either lighting or a poor attempt at photoshop.

Someone over at UMGF did a colour correction on Photoshop which made it look a lot more normal, the guard colour looking closer to what I'd expect as well as the top. That's now swinging me towards saying it's more likely than not to be original.

Here's what the guitar actually looks like:

Hardly seems to be the same guitar!

It now looks like a large version of my 1959 LG3.

On the subject of GF/S photos, I like Elderly because of their great service and standards, but I have to say their guitar photos are the worst! Their photos for my om18v were like cartoons compared to the real thing when it arrived.

All part of the fun!

Congratulations on that J50, TW,

BluesKing777.

Archived