Gibson Brands Forums

2014 LP Standard

Tman

Thanks Saturn, do you have a Goldtop?This whole quest started with wanting one [thumbup]

Well I recently inherited a Goldtop R7. (You can see my NGD thread a little lower)

At some point the pick guard was removed and I'm not sure what ever became of it. It's probably somewhere in his apartment in Georgetown where he stayed part of the week.

IMG_0137_zps1023d0c0.jpg

Just found this thread.

Nice score, Two Ells. Your dad would have approved!

Nice playing, too. Very sweetly worked out melody regardless of how much you downplay the process!

The 'solo' - both the tone and the phrasing - has the feel of someone/something very famous but I can't think for the life of me who it is.

By that I don't mean that it's a rip from an existing song but you know how some guitarists have a 'signature' tone and style of play? That's what I mean except you have given it your own twist.

Thanks for posting!

BTW; I, too, like the back - both colour and flowing grain. Nice!

[thumbup]

P'g on...........lol!

P.

Well I recently inherited a Goldtop R7. (You can see my NGD thread a little lower)

At some point the pick guard was removed and I'm not sure what ever became of it. It's probably somewhere in his apartment in Georgetown where he stayed part of the week.

IMG_0137_zps1023d0c0.jpg

Missed that thread. I am sorry about the way you inherited that guitar but it is beautiful and what a touching tribute to make the truss cover a memorial. Fantastic.

Just found this thread.

Nice score, Two Ells. Your dad would have approved!

Nice playing, too. Very sweetly worked out melody regardless of how much you downplay the process!

The 'solo' - both the tone and the phrasing - has the feel of someone/something very famous but I can't think for the life of me who it is.

By that I don't mean that it's a rip from an existing song but you know how some guitarists have a 'signature' tone and style of play? That's what I mean except you have given it your own twist.

Thanks for posting!

BTW; I, too, like the back - both colour and flowing grain. Nice!

[thumbup]

P'g on...........lol!

P.

Thanks One L! I was listening to the chords over and over and the melody for the solo just came to me. If I had to guess I would say (and please I am not saying I am anywhere close to these guys) that I tried to give it an Al DiMeola or Larry Carlton vibe? The pulls (the majority of which fell a bit flat and one sharp) were trying to copy one of my heroes, Jeff Beck, which I know that you play like! I've heard you. Now I envision seeing you in Paul Revere and the Raiders with that photo of you!

Here's a test using Logic Pro. Jazzy mello chords I strung together with a fairly high gain solo. Rhythm is on neck pickup, coil split. Solo is on in-between neck and bridge, burst buckers pro. Messing around, maybe it'll turn into a song, hopefully. Timing is off a bit. Gotta work on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENp_SFKm8-g

Great playing and awesome tone, clean as well as gain boosted. =D> Sounds and looks sooo sweet! [wub][thumbup]

No reason for worrying because of timing. I think I understand your considerations well since I'm some kind of perfectionist, too, in particular when it's about intonation and timing. [rolleyes] In my opinion, it will come automatically through continued track recording and constantly refined monitoring. I'm sure you'll get it to your desire. [thumbup]

Guess you will turn some great ideas into songs in the future. To my feel, there's no better creative tool than an exciting musical instrument. The tone of my first Les Paul, a Standard 2012 with basically same pickups and switching options, was and still is a great inspiration for me.

To my feel, there's no better creative tool than an exciting musical instrument. The tone of my first Les Paul, a Standard 2012 with basically same pickups and switching options, was and still is a great inspiration for me.

I completely agree. When you feel comfortable playing an instrument, and really enjoy it, it encourages more time spent playing which in turn, at least for me, increases the likelihood that some creativity will be sparked! At least that's the hope. [scared][biggrin]

Hi again, LL!

I've been trying to sort out what it was I was thinking of...

Half-way through the afternoon I thought I had it;

"Aha! The Isley Brothers version of 'Summer Breeze'!" but then I listened to your clip again and that's not what I was remembering - or rather wasn't remembering.

After that I thought it might have been The Eagles' "One Of These Nights" but it wasn't quite that either.

It's driving me a bit loopy.

Whatever it turns out to be at least you are in reasonably illustrious company in my mind.......

And I still like your composition. Very Nicely Done!

[thumbup]

P.

Thanks One L! I was listening to the chords over and over and the melody for the solo just came to me. If I had to guess I would say (and please I am not saying I am anywhere close to these guys) that I tried to give it an Al DiMeola or Larry Carlton vibe? The pulls (the majority of which fell a bit flat and one sharp) were trying to copy one of my heroes, Jeff Beck, which I know that you play like! I've heard you. Now I envision seeing you in Paul Revere and the Raiders with that photo of you!

I heard a Larry Carlton vibe!

Hi again, LL!

I've been trying to sort out what it was I was thinking of...

Half-way through the afternoon I thought I had it;

"Aha! The Isley Brothers version of 'Summer Breeze'!" but then I listened to your clip again and that's not what I was remembering - or rather wasn't remembering.

After that I thought it might have been The Eagles' "One Of These Nights" but it wasn't quite that either.

It's driving me a bit loopy.

Whatever it turns out to be at least you are in reasonably illustrious company in my mind.......

And I still like your composition. Very Nicely Done!

[thumbup]

P.

Thanks again One L! I hear One of these nights (one of my favorite solos btw) in the one bend on the 12th fret of the high E. Who played that original solo anyway? Felder? Thanks for the huge compliment. I hear only the mistakes, of which there are a number. I just need to do it over and over until right!

I'm trying to turn it into a song and I have no idea where this string of chords came from - I'm a rock dinosaur A-D-E kinda guy. This will have Sus 4 and major 7ths.

I heard a Larry Carlton vibe!

Thanks! I'm not worthy!

I hear only the mistakes, of which there are a number. I just need to do it over and over until right!

Yeah I think most of us are like that.. Im certainly like that with the guitars I build.. I wont be happy until its perfect no matter how well I have done to get this far...

But then ive heard most guitarist make mistakes (including most of the greats), we all do.. Look at Hendrix and Page when they play live.. Some would call it sloppy, some would just call it raw talent, people stretching their own limits.... That's what makes us human, but isn't that also part of Rock n Roll, screw the mistakes, just go with it and enjoy it [thumbup] :)

... I hear only the mistakes, of which there are a number. I just need to do it over and over until right!

What mistakes? The American painter Bob Ross would have called them "happy accidents" I believe. [biggrin]

I know there might be differences between intention and performance, but I had to deal with some happy accidents among these in the past which unfortunately I recorded. While listening, they appeared to me as unique as they were great, and I would give my life for being able to reproduce them. [crying] I guess it would be far easier for me if I hadn't recorded them. [rolleyes]

Thanks Rabs, Capmaster and BBP.

I hope to get a lot of hours with her this weekend. She'll make me an offer, I'll offer my honor. All weekend long it'll be honor and offer.

Archived