Gibson Brands Forums

String Life

Randmo

Had my J-15 almost 3 months now, seems I'm only getting about 3 weeks out of the strings. They seem to stay in tune but start to sound flat to me and the B string seems to stand out more, kind of a louder ring from the B (if that makes sense)

I'm using the D'Addario PB 12s.

Maybe it's because I'm a new player and I mostly strum right now. I probably pound on them too hard. I practice at least an hour a day and probably twice that on weekends (ok, I'm obsessed).

Strum lightly, smoothly and with control..... and use Elixir nanoweb light .12--.53 strings 80/20 or PB's ....and your problems will be over. Elixirs last me 10 ...yes 10 times longer ...than the strings you are using! Good luck! And Congratulations on your beautiful new Gibson J-15!

You don't want to know how long my strings last...lol....a long time. I change the batteries in my guitars once-a-year, so that's a hint........Speaking of the J15---had mine about ten days now and this afternoon I removed the Clear Tone strings and put on a set of Martins. I like the tone much better. Not near-as-bright.

You're in that process of getting a feel for the personality of your picking/strumming hand, which is key to your development as a player. Even the pick you use factors in. As far as strings go, like many of us, you'll have to try out a few to find your ideal. I stay away from PB's because they start out too bright and chimey, so when they drop off you're left to feel they have died.

I've settled on the Dunlop 80/20 Bronze for their evenness and price, ( three sets at Sweetwater through Ebay for $15.99 ) and because I can't afford the dang Thomastic-Enfelds.I go about two months and get to play an hour or two a day.

Elixirs are good, but before coated strings I always used Martin SP. When Martin came out with Lifespans to compete with Elixirs I tried a set and liked them a little better. Now I buy either of them, usually which ever of them is on sale. When I use Lifespans I use 12's, which for them are lights, and I use 80/20. They last a long time, however I subscribe to the theory that if I am just playing at home for myself, then as long as I can stand them I don't change strings as often as others do. To me it is sort of like washing a car, some people do it every week because they like to wash their car and they like when their car is clean....I don't remember the last time I washed my car.

Archived