Gibson Brands Forums

So finally... Im getting a tube amp

Rabs

As the others have answered, a Shure SM57. And I meant a USB Audio Interface (XLR in, USB out for computer recording). For a simple 1-mic setup, a Blue Icicle and an SM57 would be perfect, and would cost less than $200.

Or you could go with a snazzier interface, with multiple inputs and all that jazz...

-Ryan

Cheers man... I will look into that [thumbup]

You can never have too many Marshall amps brother Rabs! [thumbup]

Everyone needs a tube amp in their arsenal - especially when you own a Gibson. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, and sounds - on that one! Hope that money comes in soon so you can grab one up. Ooo - Rah! [cool]

Well this is directly with HSBC, none of those dodgy claim companies.. They have stated it WILL be in my account within 4 weeks of receiving my letter back which I sent today first class.. so fingers crossed :)

How much did you get back?

I got back £several thousands. My claim was re a Tesco loan I once had and where PPI should never have been incorporated in the first place so it was absolutely "miss sold". My claim was direct to the company as I won't go through another layer of sharks either. But it was almost two months after I expected the money to come through that I eventually got it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Excellent news, Rabs. I must just mind you of the possibility of building your own amp. I'd love to help with that.

Excellent news, Rabs. I must just mind you of the possibility of building your own amp. I'd love to help with that.

Cheers man.. and I hadn't thought about that actually.. BUT I have been gassing for one of these Slash amps since they came out, I never thought id ever have enough spare cash to get one before they sell out (which I reckon they will soon) and so this is a special purchase for me.. :)

BUT maybe down the line if I ever start making money again we can sure talk about that.

What did you ever do about the casing for your amp?

Congrats Rabs and good for you,if you are going to buy your first tube amp,you may as well start with the best.I have 2 old JCM 800s and as far as I know the Slash models are patterned after his favourite 2203 model JCM 800 head,which in fact is what Jim Marshall always said was his favourite of all his amp models.The Slash Marshalls are deadly amps and certainly are a wise choice for a first tube amp.

Congrats Rabs and good for you,if you are going to buy your first tube amp,you may as well start with the best.I have 2 old JCM 800s and as far as I know the Slash models are patterned after his favourite 2203 model JCM 800 head,which in fact is what Jim Marshall always said was his favourite of all his amp models.The Slash Marshalls are deadly amps and certainly are a wise choice for a first tube amp.

Cheers man..

And even though this will be my first tube amp, I used to play through a JCM800 when I was in a band many years ago. It belonged to the rehearsal room we used and I loved that thing.. So yes, this will be a great amp to have.. And as a back up in case they sell out id like one of the JCM800 50th Anniversary amps (the small combo one).. if indeed I can find one.. But id rather get the Slash one any day :) Cant bloody wait.

I got back £several thousands. My claim was re a Tesco loan I once had and where PPI should never have been incorporated in the first place so it was absolutely "miss sold". My claim was direct to the company as I won't go through another layer of sharks either. But it was almost two months after I expected the money to come through that I eventually got it.

It took one week :D

I went today to go get my SL5...

And man its such a shame..

The first shop I went in had only one there and it was a display model even though they said its only been out a few days... So I ummed and arred and thought well its in good condition not even any fingerprints on it.. Screw it and was prepared to take that one which they would have let me have for £460... However not only could they not find the box but the footswitch that comes with it either...Arrgg.. So they said they could order me one in which would be there on Friday...

So I then went to a second shop just around the corner.. They also only had some in the warehouse but they could get it for me Tuesday so I put a deposit down and hopefully will have it in a few days :D I so wanted to come home with one today though but must now be patient. I was almost tempted by the JCM 800 combo (the 50th anniversary 1w ones).. But its a bit more expensive than the Slash one and much smaller with less features (the good thing about the Slash one is it comes with a nice big speaker).. So it makes sense to wait for the one I want.. Almost there :)

DSC_0254_zpsb4f76afd.jpg

You did the right thing going for the SL-5 and not the JCM-1, I had a JCM-1 head and liked it OK, fortunately sold it for a profit and ended up with the SL-5 at a discount, I do not regret it.

Once you get that SL-5 you'll need to break that speaker in, in the beginning I was not getting much bass, after I broke the speaker in it is much better.

You did the right thing going for the SL-5 and not the JCM-1, I had a JCM-1 head and liked it OK, fortunately sold it for a profit and ended up with the SL-5 at a discount, I do not regret it.

Once you get that SL-5 you'll need to break that speaker in, in the beginning I was not getting much bass, after I broke the speaker in it is much better.

Yeah im terrible sometimes like that... Once ive worked myself up I want to come home with something..

But I know that I want the Slash one, so must wait like a responsible adult :) I did try that one in the shop out (with one of the new Classics) and man it was everything I thought it would be [thumbup]

Cant wait.. and thanks for the info about breaking the speaker in... I don't think that will be an issue though ;)

Well, now that is what I call a result! [biggrin]

Bad luck with the amp hunt but it sounds as if you will be having a good Slash very soon!

Yes.. well I guess ive waited 20 years so a few more days wont hurt (much ;))

Archived