Gibson Brands Forums

Government Returned Ebony

SteveFord

If you haven't noticed the nation-wide militarization of American law enforcement over the last decade, you haven't been paying attention.

Exactly!

I've been discussing this with the wife, and we've decided that, instead of building a garage, we need a tank and a drone, just in case we need to protect ourselves from government tyranny... our personal arms race with state and federal government.

If the NSA is watching, I'm just kidding of course. I used to think that we got the government that we deserve. Now, I think that we elect the government we deserve, but it morphs into something else.

This is going to get "long," but shouldn't be construed as "political" at all if taken as a whole.

It's just an old man who has had a great vantage point of almost 50 years to watch stuff happening.

1. As to the accord between Gibson and the federal government: Civil actions quite frequently are sealed, especially those in federal courts, although states are rushing to match that. Criminal actions, however, are supposed to have at least some of the record of decisions and reasons why filed by the judge(s) involved. Given that the action of SWAT teams seems more than unusual for a civil lawsuit or customs infraction not involving immediate danger such as arms, it appears "odd."

In criminal cases, yes there usually is a degree of "secret" negotiation - but it's supposed to have a public record through either a trial with sentencing - or a court action resulting in dropping of charges in one way or another. Civil cases can, and are often sealed.

2. Yes, police in general have received varying degrees of what one might refer to as "urban warfare" training and equipment. Yes, the tactics are similar to military urban warfare and rural small unit tactics. I have many relatives and friends in "law enforcement" with such training and I support it. As with a hammer, it's a tool that's useful in some situations and dangerous in others.

3. There's little question in my mind from what I learned from "sources" at the time that the "Gibson thing" was most probably grown far out of proportion after initiation by a person with a grudge. Agreeable government "agents" apparently saw opportunity for a high profile "win."

The federal agents determined there was a potential of an urban warfare defense by craftsmen and secretaries in the guitar offices and factory, so they went in with an all-out armed assault against craftsmen and office workers.

4. Regardless what "militia" folks might wish to believe, if the government decides to act as Gestapo and SS, there's little anyone can do about it but some form of escape, suicide or surrender as in Germany in the 1930s. They are, however a marvelous "red herring" for folks at the opposite segment of the political spectrum.

At least one major religious group, the Mormons (about 1.7 percent of U.S. population, similar to the Jewish population) recommend about a year's food supply per household - in case of disaster, natural or civil. I'm not of that religious persuasion, but one might note it's not just "survivalists."

You want a real geopolitical disaster?

Sun storms. Folks, we just took a near miss of a solar storm as strong as the one that zapped the world's incipient "electrical" technology in 1857. It would be a worldwide disaster making most of today's "politics" silly.

Don't believe me? Check out a simply written explanation at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

m

Yeah, and he's been watching too much of the Lone Ranger reruns.

If Waco didn't show what happens when the federal government moves in, perhaps folks weren't watching.

Ditto the Russians in the Crimea where folks folded or ran or supported the takeover, not unlike the Nazi takeover of German-speaking Austria and Czechoslovakia a long time ago. Or the "uprising" in WWII at the Warsaw ghetto.

Or almost more to the point, the Hungarian "uprising" of 1956.

Even what's going on today in Gaza in an urban environment with severe drawbacks in "public relations" and well-armed adversaries for a well-trained modern army.

Afghanistan? A different case. The only successful occupation there that I can recall is when Alexander bought off tribal chiefs so he could invade "india." The Brits kept trying a century or so ago. The Russians and now Americans.

Consider ISIS currently in the Middle East with modern equipment.

Bottom line: a few nuts in the U.S. do not a revolution make. They do make a great red herring for the left to point to while offering reverence to far left figures who've taught how to work the media and the ballot box. It's good politics to do so regardless of relevance of a few nuts on the right; it doesn't make those nuts a deeper problem but it does make for excited speeches.

m

1407157347[/url]' post='1549033']

Maybe you could explain how the "uber-liberal democrap politics" is going to directly cause the U.S. to turn into the former USSR?

Well, there are the folks in DC who state we have no right to expect a transparent government. They also are on record in wanting to allow the President to stay in office more two terms. They want to use the friendly Tax Agents, who are also being heavily armed, to block opposition party groups from forming . And to also administer your health care premium payment history. I could go on, but what's thee use? If a person thinks "it can't happen here" - that's exactly what a tyrant is counting on.

Guest Farnsbarns

The best trick your government pulled was making it happen 100 years ago under the guise of the first world war and then convincing you all it didn't happen. I know, ours did the same.

Well, there are the folks in DC who state we have no right to expect a transparent government. They also are on record in wanting to allow the President to stay in office more two terms. They want to use the friendly Tax Agents, who are also being heavily armed, to block opposition party groups from forming . And to also administer your health care premium payment history. I could go on, but what's thee use? If a person thinks "it can't happen here" - that's exactly what a tyrant is counting on.

You should only ever have decaf in yer prepper bunker.

rct

I suppose that once all of this tyranny starts to change the way I have to live my life, then I'll start worrying more about it. As it is, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Politics is all about power.

Archived