Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Epiphone Continues To Surprise and Delight!

midiman56

If any of you ever get over to the Gibson side, you might have noticed that I ordered a Gibson Les Paul Traditional with P90’s and a Bigsby last weekend. Well, it showed up and is a marvelous guitar … a real home run for Gibson.

So … I decided that I no longer really needed my 2011 Epiphone Les Paul ‘56 Goldtop. I grabbed it and a couple of others that were no longer getting any attention and headed off the my old stomping grounds at Guitar Center top see what I could get for them. We always used to treat folks pretty fairly there and I figured, as a former employee, I had a better that average shot at getting a good deal.

I really didn’t have anything in mind for a trade, having just opened the case on the new Gibson the day before, but law and behold, what should I find hanging on the wall but two brand spanking new Epiphone Las Paul Florentine models! They had both a Honeyburst and a Cherryburst. I played them both and found I just liked the “feel” of the Honeyburst a bit more, so home she came with me.

Folks, this is a VERY nice guitar. Fit and finish are pretty much flawless as far as I have been able to tell in such a short time. The Burstbucker pickup are warm without the mud and chime nicely when cut to single coil. This is a heavily chambered instrument, not a true semi-hollowbody, but still weighs in at a very comfortable 6 pounds or so. The neck is the standard 60’s slim with no buzz or high frets … even the set-up was pretty near perfect, at least for how I like a neck to be set.

Here are some pics for you. I haven’t owned the thing for 24 hours, so a review at this point would be kind of worthless to you guys, but I have to say that so far I am VERY pleased! I’ll let you know if I find something wrong with her, but I don’t think I will!

IMG_0012-Copy-Copy_zps40eb5f5d.jpg

The few posts I've read on this guitar talked about how GREEN the tuning pegs were. I guess they are a little, but I'm just stoked to see that they are keys instead of the little beans!

IMG_0021_zps57cbceba.jpg

IMG_0013-Copy-Copy_zps3f2cb706.jpg

Veneer or not, Epi did a nice job on the tops of these guitars:

IMG_0014_zps276803bc.jpg

IMG_0015-Copy-Copy_zpsd4786d39.jpg

Jim

Archived