Gibson Brands Forums

I just don't get it??!!!

onewilyfool

What I DON'T get is why someone would pay an outrageous price for a factory aged guitar.

Amen to that one, brother! If I wanted an aged guitar, just give me a new one and 40 more years to play it.

Recently a daughter of our bassist reported about a factory aged Gibson Les Paul owned by a former bandmate of her. One day he happened to knock the first dent of his own into his LP. Guess what he did? He had just this dent repaired. :blink:

Recently a daughter of our bassist reported about a factory aged Gibson Les Paul owned by a former bandmate of her. One day he happened to knock the first dent of his own into his LP. Guess what he did? He had just this dent repaired. :blink:

Well, I don't think it could possibly get any sillier than that!

I don't mind the relic thing - I don't know if I'd buy one, although I kind of like the idea of the Fano concept where they look like '50s or '60s guitars but the designs are original and contemporary. I've just refinished an old Fender that I did a relic job on because, even if the wear is fake, it looks more appropriate to me than a brand new looking body with a well worn '60s neck and hardware.

Relics do look a bit stylised to me nowadays though - I can scan Google Images for a Strat or Tele and pick out the relics with at least 80% accuracy. It feels as though there's far too many people following 'how to' tutorials and very few looking at old guitars and thinking about how to replicate them. Where it's done right I can appreciate it as an art form in itself.

Actions speak louder than words. I'm shopping period correct tuners for my '31 L0 so I guess I have some penchant for restoration. They'll probably be in worse working condition than the generic modern facsimiles that are on it now, but I have to admit I get a warm feeling when I flip over a guitar from that period and those old tarnished machines and yellowed buttons are staring back at me.

My relic is still at the luthiers....and when we say relic, we mean RELIC....

Hope he is being nice to it...here is a video from a while back...I watch it now and again to try and remember what caused all the fuss.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYWWuHHlok

BluesKing777.

Man, I hope whatever they're doing to it doesn't affect the way it sounds. That is one sweet little blues box. My L-OO has become my favorite guitar.

When I got home last week after almost four months of having only my little carbon fiber guitar, I took each of my flat tops out in turn, starting with the L-OO. Went from that to the 000-28, then to the SJ, then to my old J-45. Went back through them all in the last few days. All went back into the cases, but the L-OO now sits next to me at the desk, while the others sit in the rack.

Man, I hope whatever they're doing to it doesn't affect the way it sounds. That is one sweet little blues box. My L-OO has become my favorite guitar.

When I got home last week after almost four months of having only my little carbon fiber guitar, I took each of my flat tops out in turn, starting with the L-OO. Went from that to the 000-28, then to the SJ, then to my old J-45. Went back through them all in the last few days. All went back into the cases, but the L-OO now sits next to me at the desk, while the others sit in the rack.

I'm hoping the same thing, Nick!

The fretboard was like a bit of driftwood and the neck horrible, but that sound makes it all worth it - he'll make it a stunner I have no doubt - his other work for me is so good that I am fortunate enough to have him work on my stuff (that's in case he is reading this instead of filing, shimming, fretting.... [mellow] )

So if you L-00 Legend is your número uno, are the others for sale....that would be the test of allegiance I would fail.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

So if you L-00 Legend is your número uno, are the others for sale....that would be the test of allegiance I would fail.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

For the first time ever, I'm actually thinking of selling a few that I simply don't play enough. The only ones that are off-limits are my old '48-'50 J-45 lifetime friend (for sentimental reasons), and the L-OO.

I think as well about whether tinkering with the physics of my old guitar will just be a wash in terms of money invested vs. tone, but making it more playable is the overriding impetus so the dice has to be thrown. Restoring it's structural integrity will insure that it will live on. I'm loving my L-00 too, Nick, for it's easy feel on my old hands and nice balance across highs and lows. I'm jonesing to get the L0 back from the hospital, as I'm sure you are, BK, but there is always the chance that the physics will be altered in an unpredictable diminishing of it's former qualities. Let's hope not.

Welcome back, Nick. I thought you were in jail or something when you disappeared from the forum. It's comforting to know that you were only riding the waters all summer, a sure sign of insanity. God...hopefully you didn't drag your poor wife along. You must be in heaven though having your hands back on your 'real' guitars.

Here's what I'm looking at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231327122771?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_0wt_0

I'm loving my L-00 too, Nick, for it's easy feel on my old hands and nice balance across highs and lows. I'm jonesing to get the L0 back from the hospital, as I'm sure you are, BK, but there is always the chance that the physics will be altered in an unpredictable diminishing of it's former qualities. Let's hope not.

EEK x 2, JZ! : :huh: [omg] :huh:

A dangerous listing from a member here, John from True Vintage Guitars - in case the others go to the junk heap.....:

http://truevintageguitar.com/inventory/1936-gibson-l-00-with-maple-rims/

BluesKing777.

Welcome back, Nick. I thought you were in jail or something when you disappeared from the forum. It's comforting to know that you were only riding the waters all summer, a sure sign of insanity. God...hopefully you didn't drag your poor wife along. You must be in heaven though having your hands back on your 'real' guitars.

My wife actually loves boats, so she's always with me, but we were both ready to come back to land after almost four months on the boat. Hard to believe I spent five years living on one back in the 70's, and another six on one not much more than a decade ago. Hard to fit more than one guitar on a boat.

I was like a kid in the candy store getting back to the "real" guitars. What stunned me was how easy it was to adjust back to the L-OO, which I find a really easy guitar to play. Small body and short scale are a pretty good combination for an old guy like me.

Of course, the carbon guitar has an even shorter scale and smaller body. I was surprised how much I noticed the scale length difference in moving from the 22.75" of the little carbon guitar back to the more common Gibson 24.75". I haven't picked up either of my really long-scale guitars yet, but I think they're going to feel really strange.

My wife actually loves boats, so she's always with me, but we were both ready to come back to land after almost four months on the boat. Hard to believe I spent five years living on one back in the 70's, and another six on one not much more than a decade ago. Hard to fit more than one guitar on a boat.

Could we get an account of your journey, Nick?

Maybe start another thread so the complainers don't have to read it if they don't want to?

But I'm sure the desk jockeys and bench jockeys here would love to hear the story - just dodging out of a marina is a giant adventure, let alone the big black things that try to eat you etc, etc!

BluesKing777.

But I'm sure the desk jockeys and bench jockeys here would love to hear the story - just dodging out of a marina is a giant adventure, let alone the big black things that try to eat you etc, etc!

BluesKing777.

You and your countrymen know all about things that swim in the water and eat you. My wife and I were anchored off Thursday Island (for the geographically challenged, that's at the north end of Australia, just south of Papua New Guinea)on our last boat when a 4m (13ft) salty swam by. The next day we were advised never to go ashore at the same place twice, as he was keeping an eye on us. Eliminated our shore excursions too suite!

Now we just cruise in Maine, where we eat the yummy things that swim in the water, instead of them trying to eat us.

You and your countrymen know all about things that swim in the water and eat you. My wife and I were anchored off Thursday Island (for the geographically challenged, that's at the north end of Australia, just south of Papua New Guinea)on our last boat when a 4m (13ft) salty swam by. The next day we were advised never to go ashore at the same place twice, as he was keeping an eye on us. Eliminated our shore excursions too suite!

Now we just cruise in Maine, where we eat the yummy things that swim in the water, instead of them trying to eat us.

I was about to go for a swim .....guess I'll stay working on the computer. There's mosquitos big as a boat on Thursday Island, isn't there?

Hey Nick, what is the bridge spacing on the Legend L-00? I love the wide spacing V neck of my OM18v - bridge spacing 2 3/8!!!! Everyone hates it 'cept me, but I wouldn't want to get a gig playing bar chords all night... [blink] [blink] [blink] The OM18 Authentic has the same bridge spacing (and 1 3/4 nut as well) - that would be the Martin version of your L-00 Legend,I guess?

BluesKing777.

I was about to go for a swim .....guess I'll stay working on the computer. There's mosquitos big as a boat on Thursday Island, isn't there?

Hey Nick, what is the bridge spacing on the Legend L-00? I love the wide spacing V neck of my OM18v - bridge spacing 2 3/8!!!! Everyone hates it 'cept me, but I wouldn't want to get a gig playing bar chords all night... [blink] [blink] [blink] The OM18 Authentic has the same bridge spacing (and 1 3/4 nut as well) - that would be the Martin version of your L-00 Legend,I guess?

BluesKing777.

Doesn't matter - I found the answer in an old thread (2 3/8)- interesting reading too....

BluesKing777.

The OM18 Authentic has the same bridge spacing (and 1 3/4 nut as well) - that would be the Martin version of your L-00 Legend,I guess?

BluesKing777.

I believe the OM and OOO Martins share a similar body size, which is a bit larger than the L series Gibsons.

I believe the OM and OOO Martins share a similar body size, which is a bit larger than the L series Gibsons.

The smaller 00 doesn't have the wider bridge spacing though (has 2 1/4)........ I am be wrong, but the 2 3/8 space is rare as hen's teeth - vintage 30s OM, OM18v (out of production) and the current OM18 Authentic.......unless a custom order, most have the same space as your EC....

BluesKing777.

I'll second the 'diary of a pirate' thread.

do you ever write articles / books nick ?

you seem quite an eloquent guy.

know a local guy over here who sold all he had to do the round the world trip . He got a book out of it , makes good reading.

He now lives in relative poverty with his wife , but hats off for making sure his dream came true regardless of financial situation. gotta admire a man who gives it all.

I'll second the 'diary of a pirate' thread.

do you ever write articles / books nick ?

you seem quite an eloquent guy.

know a local guy over here who sold all he had to do the round the world trip . He got a book out of it , makes good reading.

He now lives in relative poverty with his wife , but hats off for making sure his dream came true regardless of financial situation. gotta admire a man who gives it all.

Actually, I was editor of a sailing magazine for almost 20 years. so I've written quite a bit about it. Always enjoyed writing. Reading, too, for that matter. And playing guitar.

Nick, when you are on your boat….you take your Carbon Fiber guitar right???

Yep. I actually had my J-45 on one boat through the 1970's, and I had a little Martin Backpacker on another from about 1998-2002, but I have the Composite Acoustics Cargo (raw carbon fiber finish) on the current boat. Ironically, I passed a couple of touring bicyclists on a back road in Maine about two weeks ago (driving back to Florida), and one of them had a Cargo slung over his shoulder. It's a versatile little guitar, not a bad instrument at all, if a little too Taylor-esque in the high end for me.

Archived