Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul 1976 Custom black beauty

Alex1984

Hello everybody

i m new in this forum, i hope you can help me find out information about this guitar i d like to buy.

Owner says its a black beauty 1976 serial number 00117118 made in usa Gibson Les Paul.

I'd like to know if you think those 2 lines on the back of the plate can be dangerous or compromising the sound of the guitar (my liutehr says it normal for the wood of 40 years old guitar) , also on the back of the neck the colour seems gone away for some reason...

Any informations about the serial number? Let me know thank you very much for your help!!!

Alex

post-67432-074683700 1410181985_thumb.jpeg

post-67432-015462100 1410181994_thumb.jpeg

post-67432-010702900 1410182003_thumb.jpeg

post-67432-013363500 1410182064_thumb.jpeg

Hello everybody

i m new in this forum, i hope you can help me find out information about this guitar i d like to buy.

Owner says its a black beauty 1976 serial number 00117118 made in usa Gibson Les Paul.

I'd like to know if you think those 2 lines on the back of the plate can be dangerous or compromising the sound of the guitar (my liutehr says it normal for the wood of 40 years old guitar) , also on the back of the neck the colour seems gone away for some reason...

Any informations about the serial number? Let me know thank you very much for your help!!!

Alex

post-67432-028381900 1410182435_thumb.jpeg

post-67432-077894700 1410182447_thumb.jpeg

post-67432-044273100 1410182466_thumb.jpeg

500 US dollars, yes. 5000 US dollars, no.

Where are you and how much do they want for it?

There is nothing alarming in any of those pictures. The lines you see are glue joints. The line around the edge of the guitar is another glue joint, "pancake" body.

rct

Personally I would put 3100 at a new one. Others will jump in and tell you it's a steal. It isn't to me, but then I owned and gigged a bunch of guitars back then, so my opinions are different.

Good luck with it. Before you drop that kind of money on a used guitar, consider what you could buy new with it.

rct

This finish damage at the neck/body joint seems odd to me.

The serial number checks out, "00" is the date code prefix for 1976.

I would say "top dollar" for a "mint" example would be around $3000. I'd say this guitar is somewhere in the $2000 range (assuming no breaks, repairs, or major mods).

Personally I would put 3100 at a new one. Others will jump in and tell you it's a steal. It isn't to me, but then I owned and gigged a bunch of guitars back then, so my opinions are different.

Good luck with it. Before you drop that kind of money on a used guitar, consider what you could buy new with it.

rct

[thumbup] What he said... I would put that money towards a new guitar... my opinion though.

This finish damage at the neck/body joint seems odd to me.

The glue ran out, somebody picked at it and knocked off some paint, that's the easiest spot for that to happen. Couple of my school chums did that back then too. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be alarmed at that if I was of a mind to buy a 76 Les Paul. I'm not of a mind, mind you.

rct

The glue ran out, somebody picked at it and knocked off some paint, that's the easiest spot for that to happen. Couple of my school chums did that back then too. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be alarmed at that if I was of a mind to buy a 76 Les Paul. I'm not of a mind, mind you.

rct

That's exactly what happened to my 1978 S-G and my 2012 Alex Lifeson LP Axcess. The finish close to fretboard and bindings on the top warped and cracked over the years on the S-G without even touching it.

Guest Farnsbarns

$2k max in that shape. I'm with RCT on this although I want a 76 because that's my year of manufacture too but that's an acknowledged crazy whim. Buy new for that price.

post-48729-095682300 1410187843_thumb.jpgForm the condition I would not pay more then $18oo to $2100 and that is more then it is worth several LP's got destroyed in the Nashville flood causing glue damage finish chipping and loss and parts that removed and added to fakes to make them look like originals while in NYC these last several weeks I found some great Vintage shops with some excellent guitars at reasonable prices DO NOT JUMP on this pony you will get bucked off and loose DOES IT HAVE THE ORIGINAL HSC if not walk RUN get away ASAPDSCN0309.JPG?_subject_uid=219140587&w=AAAkcedDBVw3AYBVbANJ_MndxlrLWk1q2YW0JqS39Rzchw

$2k max in that shape. I'm with RCT on this although I want a 76 because that's my year of manufacture too but that's an acknowledged crazy whim. Buy new for that price.

At least you can get a Les Paul in your year of manufacture...

I was made in '67... msp_crying.gif

No hope for me finding a Les Paul of that vintage...

I'm another in the 'put the money towards a new Custom' (before they screw them up next year) camp.

At least you can get a Les Paul in your year of manufacture...

I was made in '67... [crying]

No hope for me finding a Les Paul of that vintage...

I'm hardly in a better position, Jimi. I was made in 1959.

I doubt I'll be buying a Les Paul Standard from that particular year anytime soon.........[laugh]

P.

I'm hardly in a better position, Jimi. I was made in 1959.

I doubt I'll be buying a Les Paul Standard from that particular year anytime soon.........[laugh]

P.

Hello Pippy!

Welcome back from vacation!

Too bad, You don't already have one. It could be released as Collector's Choice No. 753 - in tasteful "Pippy"-burst. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Archived