Gibson Brands Forums

The Beatles Named America’s Favorite Band

vacamartin

Beatles fan number one here, but I remember the first time we saw them on TV, it was just lots of girls screaming..so...

My parents and some of the relatives had a player piano - some of the young guitarists won't know what I am talking about, but on get togethers everyone would gather around behind the 'piano' operator and sing along.

So after watching the screams and The Beatles for a minute, it was a top up of the glasses and back to 'Oklahoma ' and stuff, but the heart stopper piano roll for me was......and I don't know how I remember this....Hernandos Hideaway! When the rolls ran out and the singers ran out of puff, mum played ragtime...sort of. (Possible roots of my attraction to blues music)...

So the general consensus was that the Boys weren't going to be around long!

Hmmmm.

BluesKing777.

Wow a list of groups and performers rated on how much people like them that is so new and original. I like what I like and do not need a list or the radio or Rolling Stone lame A$ Magazine or anyone to tell me who is good or the best or someones favorite. Opinions mean nothing. If you like the Beatles great and if you don't like them I could care less. I like them and listen to them and if you don't my day is no better or worse.

Ya know it would be nice if you said what you really felt![wink]

I would have preferred Grace Potter or Taylor Swift over Beyoncé.

I hope you are joking.

People are different, and so are tastes. This is just me.

Wow a list of groups and performers rated on how much people like them that is so new and original. I like what I like and do not need a list or the radio or Rolling Stone lame A$$ Magazine or anyone to tell me who is good or the best or someones favorite. Opinions mean nothing. If you like the Beatles great and if you don't like them I could care less. I like them and listen to them and if you don't my day is no better or worse.

Me too. There's some music I find more appealing and interesting than the rest, regardless of fashion and style categories or classifications.

vacamartin,

This is for you. I made this in 2006 from the U.S. Stereo release and modified it to use as a CD insert for one of Dr. Ebbets Mono efforts. Enjoy!

I will not leave it up for long 'cos I need the room to post updated pics of my LPJ. Please let me know when you download it (if you want it, of course).

Otherwise, it will disappear in a day or so...

=================== >

Haphazard,

you know you can upload photos to here using a hosting site like Photobucket, which allows virtually unlimited numbers and sizes of pictures? Instructions for this are posted in a pinned thread at the top of the "forum feedback" section.

Best thing since white bread, the Beatles. A surprise was no Stones. Or Nirvana. But the Eagles??!?!?!?! Interesting (sad?) that Beyonce is the one and only rep our great and defining heritage of African-American music (Ray Charles? BB? Robert Johnson? Otis Redding? Stevie Wonder?) . And, Neil Diamond (Neil Diamond!)? The only thing that poll shows is the narrow range of taste (or name recognition?) of the respondents. Oh, and ps, what in ever-living blue-eyed world is a brunomars? (take heed, Son, your 15 minutes are almost up).

Best thing since white bread, the Beatles. A surprise was no Stones. Or Nirvana. But the Eagles??!?!?!?! Interesting (sad?) that Beyonce is the one and only rep our great and defining heritage of African-American music (Ray Charles? BB? Robert Johnson? Otis Redding? Stevie Wonder?) . And, Neil Diamond (Neil Diamond!)? The only thing that poll shows is the narrow range of taste (or name recognition?) of the respondents. Oh, and ps, what in ever-living blue-eyed world is a brunomars? (take heed, Son, your 15 minutes are almost up).

Blues Lovers are and will be always "Marginale!", Rambler.

Here's Bruno, and the rotten Youtube played some horrid dentist ad first on my box!:

BluesKing777.

When I first saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, I was ho-hum. They wore suits and ties. They were clean cut. They just stood there and smiled and they were so polite, like college kids. IMO, their music was bubblegum pop and all for the girls. I didn't see what the fuss was all about. They didn't appeal to my rebelistic cynicism at the time. Now, the Stones were a different matter. They were unkempt and hip. They dressed like gypsy tramps. They slouched and posed as they played and they goofed onstage with cigarettes dangling from their lips. They played crunch rock and roll and they were loud and sloppy. They were true rebels. My kind of band! First song I ever played onstage was Jumpin Jack Flash, well the first song we could finish. The Rolling Stones get my vote! Hands down!

Who's Beyoncé?

Pffft

Perhaps narrow range of taste, and also a specific perception, in present and retrospective as well. Besides number of sales, an evaluation of musical impact would have to include influence. I believe that this is where a listener's point of view will differ significantly from that of a musician.

Thinking about myself, it is interesting that I would partly name the same idols as The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. When it's about rock, there are the guys I consider the inventors of rock 'n' roll, Chuck Berry and Little Richard. No wonder that Jimi Hendrix is on my list. Every bass player should know Larry Graham of Sly & The Family Stone. Nile Rodgers is one of my favourites, too, and Bernie Edwards, his bassist who sadly passed away much too early.

But this is just about my personal preferences, based on the narrow range of my taste. [rolleyes]

The poll was open-ended. The question (""who is your favorite singer, musician or band?"") could be read as "for all time" or "here and now", so Beats and Bruno were both legit answers. It was a teeny sample (2,306) on which to declare anybody anyone's 'favorite." At the end of the day, its about name recognition (perrenial and fad divsions). Fun facts. The last time Harris did this poll, Sinatra, U2, Tug (ugh) McGraw, A-Jax and L-Gaga (in the "Bruno" spot) made the cut. Among matures (that's 69 and over, Wilie Nelson made the cut (ol pot-smokin free lving Willie has more GOP fans, go figure). The durability of the Beatle brand is curious, because its been a long time since the were Fab, but then, they became a Thing, which transcends music.

Archived