Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera has arrived!

J4T5

Finally got my new "old" Riviera. It is really fine with the only real issue being the action was way too high - as someone got the bridge stuck too far up at some point

probably trying to adjust for a fully worn out nut.

Luckily the frets are fine. A light level, crown and polish, should do the trick. I got the bridge unfrozen and brought the action down to really effortless playing,

adjusted the trussrod, and put a Capo at the first fret.

Plays great after some adjustment. Just ordered a piece of Bone to make a new nut with.

Should be great after that. The Mini Humbuckers are really nice through a Vibrolux Reverb.

This guitar has Epiphone Custom Shop right behind the nut on the back of the neck.

My camera is acting up but here's a couple pics.

Oh yeah! 3 used Epi's costing me less than a used Gibson ES 335.

I'm very happy to say the least.

original.jpg

157686966.jpg

Seems it 's not as old as I thought but a great guitar anyway.

From the serial number it's a 2009.

Which is interesting because I don't remember these being offered at any stores around here back then.

Don't matter. It's real nice...

I was looking at the pic and noticed that they all have 3 different fretboard inlays.

The Sheraton has Peter Florence 59' low winds in it. The Dot has stock Epi 57's, and the Riviera has stock USA Gibson Mini's.

At least that is what the internet says. When I pull the strings off the Riviera and make the new nut, I'm going to remove one of the pickups and see what it says undernath.

They sound really great and I don't think I'll be changing them. I think I'll be leaving the Riviera totally stock.

I do have the trussrod cover - it is off in the picture to adjust the trussrod.

I really am looking forward to the right size Case for the Riviera.

They shipped the Riviera in a Dreadnaught case.

Which sort of works but I have to put padding under the body so the neck joint doesn't bind when closing the case.

I ordered a TKL 8855 - not the cheapest case in town - but I think the guitar is worth it.

157688703.jpg

Now if I could just find a P93 Goldtop....and a bag of cash somewhere...... :blink:

Those gold P93's went right pass me. Didn't see them coming and didn't see them going.

Only now I see them crop up on the net with bragging rights from the lucky few who got one......

large.jpg

157689380.jpg[scared]

Which is interesting because I don't remember these being offered at any stores around here back then.

I do recall seeing information on this model a few years back. I don't believe it was marketed in the USA, but if some trickled in, it was a very limited number.

Don't matter. It's real nice...

I think they were (mostly) marketed in Canada, Europe, and Asia, as I remember. I remember it, because

it was the first non-American made version (aside from the Elitist) to have the correct original

"oval" headstock inlay, whereas they used the "crown" inlay, in the Korean and earlier Chinese

versions. Might have been some in the USA, in very limited numbers, through a "special dealer

only," thing. But, I'm not sure about that. :unsure:

Your's has the wider Gibson like "Mickey Mouse" upper bout horns, while the Kalamazzo, Nashville USA,

and Elitist all had a narrow version of the upper bout horns. No big deal, just interesting.

CB

Archived