Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphones are looking even better

J4T5

I own 2 Gibsons and wouldn't part with them but the recent news of another price hike has me thinking my Epiphones and any future Epiphone purchases are looking even better.

As far as I'm concerned an Epiphone guitar is the best bang for the buck and the quality is far better than the price would suggest. It seems that Gibson may loose a few more

buyers due to another price hike but they are not without a great option in an Epiphone. [biggrin]

157789268.jpg

is it true that a 25% price increase on Gibson (hopefully, not Epiphone's) guitars is slated for 2015 ? msp_unsure.gif

Here they are.

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson-USA-2015.aspx

Keep in mind that when you purchase an Epi, you are still buying from Gibson.

That being said. I have one guitar. A Gibson SGJ. Glad that I got it while they were around.

I am thinking of getting an EPI to be my number 2.

I'm SO glad I dropped the cash to get my SG Standard in 2014. I don't mind the 120th anniversary logo on the 12th fret that a lot of people don't like. That price hike is stupid! I'd be looking more seriously at Epiphone or used Gibsons in 2015 if I were in the market.

I'm not quite sure why they keep getting pricier but the end result is that most Musicians (especially working musicians) can't afford to fork out that kind of cash.

I've got a good job - but - a family, a mortgage, car payments and still can only look at a good used Gibson. They make some really fine guitars but the Epiphones

are so much friendlier on the wallet and are phenomenal guitars for the money. Most guitarists can't just write out a check for $2500-$4000 but probably have $300-$500

they can work into their budget. I good used Epiphone can be a really great deal. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of nice used Gibsons out there but you can probably

get 3 used Epiphones for the same price point. Having said that I'm holding on tight to my Gibson Southern Jumbo and SG Special.

But my Epi's are getting played an aweful lot [smile]

I must say I went out looking for ES-175 Premiums expecting to be meh at best, ended up buying one and I've been enjoyin he beejeebus out of it.

rct

Personally, myself...I never "thought" Epiphone guitars looked all that bad to begin with...but, again, that's just me....lolmsp_flapper.gifmsp_biggrin.gifdry.gifmsp_lol.gif

I'm SO glad I dropped the cash to get my SG Standard in 2014. I don't mind the 120th anniversary logo on the 12th fret that a lot of people don't like. That price hike is stupid! I'd be looking more seriously at Epiphone or used Gibsons in 2015 if I were in the market.

I obtained a Firebird with that inlay. I'm hoping that those make the guitar a bit more "collectible" (although I have actually been playing it...instead of drooling on it...lol)unsure.gifmsp_glare.gifmsp_drool.gif

Ive had my Epiphone SG 400 Pro for 3 months. Ive only had Gibson in the past (sold, the fool I am) but got the Epiphone due to a 10 year break from playing, and didn't want to break the bank. I wasn't sure what to expect from the Epiphone, but I'm very impressed with the build, pups, fretboard. She has a fantastic variety of tones and plays like a dream. Although I'm suffering from a terrible case of GAS for a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop and Gibson SG, I wouldn't hesitate with getting another Epiphone, a Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro is 'calling to me' :)

• 1 month later...

Like many people I know, I started playing Epi's back in the mid-90's because I couldn't afford a Gibson. Today, I can afford Gibson's, but I still love my Epi 'Black Beauty(s)'. Tremendous guitars at 1/5 the price of what a similar Gibson would cost.

(Photo of one of them on the 'Gibson' page of my website, below . . . larger version of the photo to the left.)

I would really like a gibson 335 but my Sheratons look better and probably play just as well so I'll stick with em for now I guess. I just hope Gibson doesn't try to lower Epis quality when they start losing sales and I also hope Memphis keeps the robot tuners off the 335s.

I must say I went out looking for ES-175 Premiums expecting to be meh at best, ended up buying one and I've been enjoyin he beejeebus out of it.

rct

I quite agree! Less than a grand or nearly 5 grand for the Gibson, a no brainer for me. Like you, I am loving this guitar this ES-175 Premium!

Play well,

Pete

Archived