Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners on my Hummingbird -alternative

Dave F

I bough a HB about two years ago and absolutely hated the look of the large chrome buttons

IMG_0162_zpsfef02f31.jpg

I do not like making non reversible mods to my guitars so I tried some pearl replacement buttons.

IMG_0163_zpsef28e303.jpg

After about 1-1/2 years I cannot get used to the look. I put on some tulips and I think I like them.

I had two versions of the tuners that I've had a while. The Historic one had press in bushings that did not fit so I used the others.

hb-tuners-4_zpsc9b85c13.jpg

The bottom holes aligned perfect so I only used one screw so I didn't drill any new holes. I figured the original ones worked with one so I'll try it on these. Later on I may glue a head on the open hole to cover it.

hb-tuners-9_zpsb9139f8a.jpg

If anyone has a need for the Historic style PM me and I'll make them a good deal.

hb-tuners-6_zps824923e2.jpg

Ah, that's better. Too bad you couldn't use those smaller bushings as in the Historic pack... minimizes the whitewall effect of the larger collar.

It took a while, but now you'll feel better when you look at/reach for that headstock. Great feel on those green buttons, and they work well, too. Well done.

Oh hum it looks kind of pale, but must be the pic.

Nice Bird anyways [thumbup]

The Heritage Cherry is a very faded and subtle color similar to the look of a faded mid-60's cherryburst. The red dyes Gibson used at some times in the 60's were very unstable (don't know if it was UV exposure, or what) and they faded to a warm, cherry-tinged yellow which is often stunningly beautiful, particularly when compared to the color of a "new" cherryburst back then, which was not that good-looking, IMHO.

I apologize in advance to 'bird owners who like the bright cheeryburst finish, but I didn't care much for it then, or now.

Dave- A question: the first two photos show a guitar with no MOP crown inlay... are you giving us the bird, you know, in the rear view? And if so, who is in pic #2 with the pearl buttons, and how did it come to have a black nut? Just wondering...

Those 1st two are older pictures and the bird did not grow its crown until I put the tulips on😄

At that time I had a j45 std that I was doing the same thing to. I must have got the pictures mixed up

Those 1st two are older pictures and the bird did not grow its crown until I put the tulips on😄

At that time I had a j45 std that I was doing the same thing to. I must have got the pictures mixed up

But the Hummingbird Pro has the crown as well - and NO black nut.

This seems to be a J-45 Standard.

Here's a shot of the HB when I was switching over to the pearloid with the J45 in the background already switched over.

If anyone wants to try out the pearloid, PM me & I'll mail them to you.

IMG_0164_zps2eb999db.jpg

My Bird also has the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. In certain light it's almost a natural. I like the look.

IMG_0180_zps8390c14b.jpg

Here's a shot of the HB when I was switching over to the pearloid with the J45 in the background already switched over.

If anyone wants to try out the pearloid, PM me & I'll mail them to you.

IMG_0164_zps2eb999db.jpg

My Bird also has the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. In certain light it's almost a natural. I like the look.

IMG_0180_zps8390c14b.jpg

Nice pair!! I have it too, but I am planning to have a J150 and HB pair now.

Archived