Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody else get pissed or I am in the minority?

splake

I had a (unintentional) poser moment at a local guitar shop once!

Short story - it was a Saturday afternoon and really busy, and I couldn't hear myself think let alone hear the guitar I was trying - everyone was playing at once!

I had to huddle in a corner ALA Rob Johnson to hear myself play, and was getting into it when I noticed it had all gone quiet....I looked up to see a large group of young guys watching me...

Ha ha ha...what a star! [unsure]

BluesKing777.

These guys had probably never heard the blues, and certainly not the way you play.

I'd sit and watch you, too!

To the main point. Can't keep being people from who they are, in this instance, those who think that loud is good (they'll certainly find an L00 or and OM doesnt suit thier purposes!). There's two sides to every story, but I can udnerstanding a box store letting people pick up the piecs. It helps move units. Not that they have the staff to monitor use!

A small shop, oth, is likely to have fussier clients and manage access. Which has its own downside--say you are trying to check out a guitar, sometimes just to see what a certain model sounds like. You have to do so with a clerk hovering over you going "well waddya think, huh, huh"? --to the point that one corner of your mind is occupied with the reason you are going to hae to give for not buying.

A small shop, oth, is likely to have fussier clients and manage access. Which has its own downside--say you are trying to check out a guitar, sometimes just to see what a certain model sounds like. You have to do so with a clerk hovering over you going "well waddya think, huh, huh"? --to the point that one corner of your mind is occupied with the reason you are going to hae to give for not buying.

Exactly. We've probably all had a number of these experiences, and the small shop owner is sometimes overtly pissed when you don't buy. I find that very distasteful, and it applies to many small shop owners in & out of the music business.

For all the warts of the big box model, you can almost always pull something off the rack and assess it to your heart's content. And on a good day, you might catch one in pre-thrashed mode!

Hey Guys, Maybe I just need to vent. And I know I am a newbie but here goes.

I go to Guitar center by my crib about once or twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. Anyway, as many of you know Guitar Center as a Humidity controlled Acoustic room. They are always cool enough to give you a pic, or let you plug in etc. What really hacks me off, is the way I see many treating the guitars.

They have J-45s , hummingbirds, and some pretty expensive Martins hanging on the wall, along with the Fenders, Alvarez's, taylors, etc. I see dudes in there banging them when they take them down from the top row, banging them and today I saw a dude in there really cracking on the tuners. He couldnt play, I think he was just a poser. I mean is it just me? I see the High end guitars really scratched up, below the pick guard and above the hole. I saw a Taylor 12 string with two broken strings. I know it aint my business and it is up to management at the G-center, but Anybody else ever say anything to one of these posers?

I guess It bothers me, is I know how hard I have to work and save to buy my guitars and I know I should just walk away and keep my mouth shut, but Jesus. [cursing]

T

If I see a guitar I like at a store where they get bashed around.. I get the model, and head to another dealer to get one ordered.

From what I've seen at Guitar Center their entire in-store inventory is Scratch 'N' Dent. The mangers don't care, the sales people don't care and the tire kickers don't care, either.

As the previous poster stated, it's a good place to get a basic idea of what a model is like and then either have them order one from the warehouse or buy one elsewhere.

One advantage of buying online from a private seller - (often) he/she is the only one playing it..... [mellow]

....not the whole crowd at the music shop.....

BluesKing777.

I would prefer to buy one that has been knocked around a bit but which I can play than one in pristine condition that I have not held in my sweaty little hands first.

Archived