Gibson Brands Forums

Is the 165 the closest thing Gibson has to Martin OM?

onewilyfool

How about the J-185?
The one 165 any the Emmy Lou mdoels are the only Gibosns I'm aware of thean clok in at 15" wide. The 185 (16") is the width of a Martin M-series model. Both the 185 and 165 are deeper bodies than equvilent size martins. Soundwise, no comparison. The OM's are very alive and responssive units; the Gibsons are thumpy by comapriosn. All depends on what you are looking for.

Gibson is one of the few guitar companies that doesn't make an orchestra model (OM). There is nothing in the Gibson line, nor has there ever been in my understanding, that emulates an OM tonally or otherwise. The OM was designed in 1929 to provide options for banjo players who were being phased out of orchestra pits. They needed a compact guitar with excellent and immediate projection and the OM was born. I have owned several OMs so far in my life, the most impressive of which is my current Collings OM1E, and I have an OM21 that has now become a practice and take out guitar. I have always preferred this shape and size of guitar over any other because I play finger style a lot and because I learned to play on a classical guitar, so even the 1 3/4" OM nut width suits my needs and muscle memory.

Still, where OMs tend to let you down is when played with other instruments at an acoustic jam. If you want your guitar to blend in, it will certainly do that, but it won't play a cutting solo - at least not at the level of a dreadnought.

Because of body depth, sound hole size, bracing, scale and nut width - I answer your question this way: There is no OM in Gibson and no Gibson in OM. Have your Gibson, and get an OM - there is still room for the mashed potatoes and gravy on such a plate.

Gibson is one of the few guitar companies that doesn't make an orchestra model (OM).

Because of body depth, sound hole size, bracing, scale and nut width - I answer your question this way: There is no OM in Gibson and no Gibson in OM. Have your Gibson, and get an OM - there is still room for the mashed potatoes and gravy on such a plate.

Yum - potatoes and gravy - might almost get me to put down my OMs......

BluesKing777.

Yes, must admit to getting an appetite, visualizing the OM & G on the plate with the MP & G.

BK; you've some OM's... would like to hear your thoughts on the OM/G thing.

Must admit, when OWF posed this question earlier today, my first reaction was to make a wisecrack, given the OP's recent infatuation with nut width's, etc, but on second thought, this is a great question that I don't recall coming up before, and am much appreciative of those who've taken the time to chime in.

Yes, must admit to getting an appetite, visualizing the OM & G on the plate with the MP & G.

BK; you've some OM's... would like to hear your thoughts on the OM/G thing.

Must admit, when OWF posed this question earlier today, my first reaction was to make a wisecrack, given the OP's recent infatuation with nut width's, etc, but on second thought, this is a great question that I don't recall coming up before, and am much appreciative of those who've taken the time to chime in.

I have never seen, let alone played a Gibson 165, so I can't compare to the OMs....

BUT...

Martin made the CEO7 like their version of the Gibson L-00, and it is fabulous, so I think it would be only fair for Gibson to make their version of an OM! Where do I sign?

BluesKing777.

Edit: Check out James Clem playing his Martin CEO7:

I have fallen hard for my OM 18GE. If I had 27K to spare, I'd buy a 1930 edition. I'm now looking for a Rosewood OM as a companion to the 18. Last week I sent back the 1993 OM Custom as it was too, well, heavy and stiff , are the words I will use. it sounded good but wasn't a comfortable guitar to play. The 18 is light and resonant and a joy to play. Hoping to find its equal in Rosewood with out having to go back to a production year I can't afford…Open to ideas but it doesn't exist in the Gibson line up.

I have fallen hard for my OM 18GE. If I had 27K to spare, I'd buy a 1930 edition. I'm now looking for a Rosewood OM as a companion to the 18. Last week I sent back the 1993 OM Custom as it was too, well, heavy and stiff , are the words I will use. it sounded good but wasn't a comfortable guitar to play. The 18 is light and resonant and a joy to play. Hoping to find its equal in Rosewood with out having to go back to a production year I can't afford…Open to ideas but it doesn't exist in the Gibson line up.

I got my (used and discontinued model) OM28 Marquis because it was identical spacings to my OM18v... 1 3/4 nut, 2 3/8 at bridge, but it has been called the best production OM available. Same people that say that, also mention Merryl, Collings OM and Santa Croz OM pre W?, but are also holding their breath for an Authentic model R/W.....from Martin.

But I have mine now, so deal me out!

BluesKing777.

No one would ever think that a Gibson OM sized guitar would ever sound identical to a Martin OM, BUT, that being said, it could be a nice new niche for Gibson to get into…..maybe….lol
Instread of shrinking a Jumbo (j165 & ELH), maybe they could stretch a '29 style Nick Lucas or an L1 -- nice little guitars but could benfit from some more air moving. Might even get my attention.

i have both a Gibson CJ165 and a Martin 00028 and they play almost the same but sound different.

I have Rosewood J165 and I looked at the 000-28 before picking the GIbson. I thought the Gibson sounded a bit deeper and fuller while the Martin sounded a bit thinner or maybe just more treble and less bass. Does that match with what you hear between the 2? For that matter I tried a Maple J-165 and that sounded a lot brighter, maybe closer to the Martin. I was never able to find a store that had both a J-165 and a 000-28 so its hard comparing them on different days.

As you would think, a jumbo should always have more bass response than an OM or 000 for obvious reasons. Realistically, only an OM will sound like an OM when compared to a jumbo or dread within the same manufacturer. Likewise, an OM should sound (your term) thinner as it is moving a smaller volume of air.

I have Rosewood J165 and I looked at the 000-28 before picking the GIbson. I thought the Gibson sounded a bit deeper and fuller while the Martin sounded a bit thinner or maybe just more treble and less bass. Does that match with what you hear between the 2? For that matter I tried a Maple J-165 and that sounded a lot brighter, maybe closer to the Martin. I was never able to find a store that had both a J-165 and a 000-28 so its hard comparing them on different days.

I would say your description of the sound of these guitars is spot on. My 165 is rosewood too but I would have liked a maple but the only one in UK got away whilst I was scratching my head.

Thats what I thought too. Thats why I ended up with the Rosewood.

I really liked the maple 165 but didn't own it and there is a lot to be said for getting a guitar home and playing it.

I have a Gibson Cascade that's maple B S but cedar top bright but not jingly however it's all down to taste in the end.

Archived