Gibson Brands Forums

Martin neck damage

SteveFord

There's a few things I've really been after for quite some time: a good acoustic, a "new" Triumph Sprint motorcycle so I'll have a good two-up bike for going on trips with Lynda and a "new" Firebird VII to replace the one I stupidly sold to buy some gigantic stereo speakers.

Just make sure they don't ship the bike through the mail!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Steve.. I went to the Martin dealer today and instead of the HD-28 I stumbled upon the Martin HD-16r adirondack spruce model today and could not put it down. Sonfofab.... I wished I'd never have picked that up. That adirondack spruce top really broadcasted loudly and sounded oh so sweet... Damn!

After I played it for an hour the store owner said "Dave just go ahead and buy that guitar" and I said well I would but you're going to have to mark the price down now.. he said "why?", I said because now it's "used".. [biggrin] He said alright take another $100 off the price. I said let me think about it and I left.

He's closed now until Monday at Noon so nobody's going to walk in there and buy it & it gives me time to cool down and think about it. I have a feeling I'm doomed and it will end up coming home but I want everyone to appreciate the fact that I was able to set it down and walk out without it...... today.. [razz]

](*,) Damn Steve and his Martin chatter.. [cursing]

Oh, here's a link for photos and specs:

https://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/119-hd-16r-adirondack.html

List price $3199 and Richlite? Get the hell outta here.

Other than the damage <not that its a minor thing of course> how is the rest of your guitar?

I have owned a couple Martins, and they were great. A couple of Gibsons, both a Hummingbird and a Dove, plus my Guild D50, and as nice as those guitars sounded, and played, the Martins just out performed them all the way around.

I am a tried and true Gibson guy, but for acoustics, I still go back to the Martins.

Martin HD-16r adirondack spruce [thumbdn]

I'm sorry to be an old fashion old poop but no richlite is coming into my stable. [cursing]

Nevermind my previous post because I'm not buying that one. I don't understand them using adirondack spruce for the top and rosewood for the sides and back but composite crap for the neck & bridge. I'm going to go turn my LazyBoy leather recliner upside down now & make sure there's no richlite on that either. Jesus [cursing]

Good call on that 16r - maybe the r stands for RIchlite? We've got a local Mom and Pop Martin dealer and their entire inventory was Richlite models and some of them just felt incredibly cheap. There is this one which is made out of Formica or something similar - don't get it too near a campfire because it will melt!

As for the rest of the HD-28, it's great. I've never heard a guitar ring the way this model does and there are no weird buzzes or anything. If eBay sides with me I'll pick up the same model. This particular guitar was really well cared for so it's a shame what happened.

I'm hardly an acoustic expert but after trying Gibson, Guild, Martin and Taylor I'll take the Martin.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well Steve.. I went to the Martin dealer today and instead of the HD-28 I stumbled upon the Martin HD-16r adirondack spruce model today and could not put it down. Sonfofab.... I wished I'd never have picked that up. That adirondack spruce top really broadcasted loudly and sounded oh so sweet... Damn!

After I played it for an hour the store owner said "Dave just go ahead and buy that guitar" and I said well I would but you're going to have to mark the price down now.. he said "why?", I said because now it's "used".. [biggrin] He said alright take another $100 off the price. I said let me think about it and I left.

He's closed now until Monday at Noon so nobody's going to walk in there and buy it & it gives me time to cool down and think about it. I have a feeling I'm doomed and it will end up coming home but I want everyone to appreciate the fact that I was able to set it down and walk out without it...... today.. [razz]

](*,) Damn Steve and his Martin chatter.. [cursing]

Oh, here's a link for photos and specs:

https://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/119-hd-16r-adirondack.html

Richlite????? On the fretboard & the bridge.. WTF??? [cursing]

Martin HD-16r adirondack spruce [thumbdn]

I'm sorry to be an old fashion old poop but no richlite is coming into my stable. [cursing]

Nevermind my previous post because I'm not buying that one. I don't understand them using adirondack spruce for the top and rosewood for the sides and back but composite crap for the neck & bridge. I'm going to go turn my LazyBoy leather recliner upside down now & make sure there's no richlite on that either. Jesus [cursing]

So, richlite sounded and felt so good it was all you could do to put it down and leave but once you knew about the richlite you hated it?

[lol]

Well guys look at it this way - it's my money I'll be spending and therefore it's my choice not to purchase a guitar with fake composite wood on it. I have always held Martin to a higher standard (just like I do Gibson). I was sadly surprised by the fact Martin would use that crap on their high priced acoustics and that's on me and I hope you can giggle about it. I am too. But what I'm not going to do is throw down over 2K on any guitar with that shi* on it. My choice. Happy Sunday everyone! [cool]

What it (Richlite) feels like is freshly lemon oiled ebony. The downside, aside from the chintz factor, is that string bending presents a bit of a challenge as your fingertips have a harder time getting a bite on the fret board. My wife's Guild has Richlite (or something very similar) so I recognized the feeling of it the second I picked up one of the cheaper Martins. It works well enough and all but it belongs on the budget instruments where they're trying to keep the cost down for the consumer. A $400 Guild? Why not. A $3000 Martin or Gibson? They're not looking out for the end user on those.

When it comes to finger boards Richlite is superior to wood in every way. By all means, spend your money how you like. I'll admit that I do get a chuckle out of folks building these deeply held convictions from BS they read on the internet, then when they get to the store they can't remember what they are suposed to hate about it.

"Grr! It's plastic!"

Replace the plastic nut with metal.

"Grrr! It's not plastic!!"

Replace the metal TOM bridge saddle with plastic.

"GRRR!! It's plastic!!!"

Guitar players are silly. [tongue]

But the thing is before you knew you were talking mad sh!t about how good it sounded and could not even tell the fretboard was richlite. I guess it is the same as falling in love and finding out she used to be a man.

Thank you for pointing out what I already know. <_<

But the thing is before you knew you were talking mad sh!t about how good it sounded and could not even tell the fretboard was richlite. I guess it is the same as falling in love and finding out she used to be a man.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Today was the day to open the claim and the eBay listing has been removed and you can't do a search on the seller's name.

I won't be able to contact eBay until after work but this does not look quite right to me.

The auction number should be listed in your purchase history under "My Ebay". There are also provisions there to report problems although they can be tricky to figure out.

Seems like Rev's feeling got hurt and now he is taking his toys and going home.

It always takes like one page of posts on here before people start taking their problems out on somebody else. It's not necessary to insult peoples' values in order to strengthen your own argument. If you like Richlite, buy it. Just because he doesn't like the same kind of guitar materials that you do doesn't mean he's some kind of moron who you can insult just to feel good. You surely have real friends in the real world. I'm sure you can apply some of the lessons you've learned in real life to getting along with people on this forum.

Richlite aside, a claim has been opened and the eBay customer support lady was very helpful which was a pleasant surprise.

Kind of like Gibson Customer Service or Martin Customer Service, they've all been great to me over the years. Time to give credit where credit is due.

Thank you, this has been learning experience that I could have done without. The wife says it's made my hair turn MUCH greyer than before I bought it - she's always so flattering.

On another note, I hope that the good Reverend's absence is short lived as he's really one of the good ones here and he helps to make the forum what it is. I always enjoy reading his posts.

I never did post a photo of the smoking gun (so to speak). The point of impact:

case2_zps1e4e1b4f.jpg

Archived