Gibson Brands Forums

Martin neck damage

SteveFord

Glad the EBay is helping you out.

As for my ribbing of the rev, I'm just goofing on silly guitar players. It's kinda my thing. It's what I do. It's not ment to be taken too seriously. If it felt like a pile on then I'm sorry Rev.

Just playing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewing the picture makes the damage plausible to me. I was very reluctant to post previously since I've been rather unsure what to think. Now I assume the accident causing these dings to the case is very likely to have caused also the neck damage. The finish may have hidden it for a certain period and finally broke apart, too.

Guest Farnsbarns
I was sadly surprised by the fact Martin would use that crap on their high priced acoustics and that's on me and I hope you can giggle about it. I am too.

I don't see anyone doing anything beyond that. Not sure what it was that offended you but if it was me, I apologise unreservedly. That wasn't my intention.

I came to this topic very late but I'm as keen as the rest to see how this matter is resolved.

The circumstances are quite unique as far as I can remember throughout all the years I've been here.

It sounds like you have a few good sources on your side so I'm trusting there will be an amicable solution in time.

So, richlite sounded and felt so good it was all you could do to put it down...
...can't even tell the difference...
Well guys look at it this way - it's my money I'll be spending and therefore it's my choice not to purchase a guitar with fake composite wood on it...

I'm perhaps in the curious position of agreeing with all of these viewpoints.

1. I've tried Richlite and other Phenol-based 'boards - such as used by Hagstrom - and I liked them very much.

2. If I had been blindfolded; given a Richlite 'boarded guitar and told that it was a very smooth piece of ebony I'd have accepted it as being the truth without a second thought.

3. If I ever choose to buy a Les Paul Custom then it MUST have an ebony 'board. Whether Richlite is as good / better / indistinguishable is neither here nor there; LPC = ebony 'board.

P.

You are correct. It is his cash and he can spend it how he sees fit. What Rev should have posted was - I played Martin D-16 and found out it had a richlite board, so I passed on it. He should not have gone into a Ph.D dissertation on how great it was. Then tell us he found out it was richlite and then start ranting on what a POS it now is. Because before just like you mentioned he was fooled and could not tell the difference. He almost bought the guitar. Now it sounds like he is tight with the owner of the store and once getting it home he may have been able to return it. He is not newbie to the forum he opened himself up to the comments that were posted and none were insults. As we all do when we post.

First off - thanks Steve for your email. I appreciate it brother. [thumbup]

While I go back to continue my break (yes there are more important things in my life I have to deal with than a guitar forum) I must correct FZ - I never stated that richlite was junk nor did I ever say that the guitar was a POS so you are exaggerating and putting your words into my mouth which I do not appreciate. Stop doing that please.

I also did not buy the guitar. I was not "fooled" as you state - I was simply not informed on all of the materials used. If I am guilty of something here it's because I assumed a $2k plus priced acoustic from Martin would not contain this composite material. Once I did a little more research (which I assume is common amongst guitarists contemplating throwing down over a couple grand on any instrument), I discovered the usage of richlite on that model and chose not to purchase it. The guitar did sound wonderful and the neck & playability were stellar. I never said it wasn't. The simple fact remains that I will not purchase any guitar with this composite material. My choice.

I never felt insulted by those of you poking fun at me - you'll have to raise your game to insult me. I have been around some hardcore people in my life that know how to lay down a good insult, you guys don't hold a candle to the experts. Sorry. You'll just have to try harder. Maybe next time.. [biggrin]

I come here to relax and have fun. When you turn it into something not fun, I don't have time for that. Rock on & enjoy every day. Life's too short as is. :)

We all draw different lines in the sand.

In '01 when Martin began subbing Micarta boards & bridges for striped ebony on the 16-series, they did it without telling dealers or changing specs on their website for quite some time. A lot of folks thought they had bought ebony, only later to discover the truth. The rollout was botched & then it felt to some degree like a cover-up. It ticked a lot of people off, including me. At the time, Chris Martin was a periodic participant on a forum, but left shortly after much heated debate.

I couldn't accept it then, and still won't go in that direction.

No big deal, just a personal choice.

Guest Farnsbarns

I never felt insulted by those of you poking fun at me - you'll have to raise your game to insult me. I have been around some hardcore people in my life that know how to lay down a good insult, you guys don't hold a candle to the experts. Sorry. You'll just have to try harder. Maybe next time.. [biggrin]

Is that a challenge, Rev? :) We can always go PM where forum rules won't impede my expertise!

Joking, of course. Don't be gone too long now.

Guest Farnsbarns

I though it was too, but didn't want to me the first to say. Cause I am probably the one who chapped his hide the most. I have not hung around with such aficionados of the insult such as the good Rev has, but I think my 23 plus years in the Navy and Coast Guard I will bet you I have come up with a few zingers. Bazinga. And Rev if you are reading this I in no way meant to insult you if that is the way you feel. If you felt that way I truly apologize.

Rev was clearly joking. I was clearly joking, I said so, and you quoted it. Obviously not a serious challenge. I cannot believe you're offering up your credentials for your skill at insulting. Priceless! :)

I was happily trying to come to grips with my "new" HD-28 last night when I felt something funny on the neck but I didn't really bother to investigate. Tonight I felt something really odd so I took a look and here it is:

neck1_zpsf1c528af.jpg

I think I'm seeing delayed reaction shipping damage from a good drop in transit - the case has two ding marks on the bottom of it. I've got an email in to both Martin and eBay so we'll see what transpires. This is really depressing as I've never owned a really good acoustic guitar before and I've only had it for a week and now the neck is self destructing on me.

Fun and games.

That's why should should never trust ebay.

FZ Fan's description pretty much sums it up. I did play it for an hour or so before it went back to the seller and what a beautiful instrument. That model is far and away the best acoustic I've ever played. It makes my cheapie Guild D-4NT seem like it came from Wally World.

My guess is he refuses the shipment and it comes right back to me. What happens after that I can not say but that's what eBay instructed me to do.

At least it was professionally packed in a new box...

The conclusion to this mess:

eBay put the fear of God into the seller and today I received a full refund.

Glad it worked out for you. I would have been seriously stressed over that.

My son found a 2001 vintage D-28 in the town where he is going to college. The seller is the original owner and it looks really nice in the photos that he sent. My son is picking it up tomorrow. My son has a Hummingbird and has sampled a lot of nice guitars in the stores. He'll be able to make sure that it's in good order. [thumbup]

Great news, I feel relieved to hear that from you.

Now that you tasted blood of them guitar makes, good luck for the forthcoming hunt, Steve.

I wonder if the crack was there BEFORE shipping? He could have perhaps covered it up wit a polish or something? In any event i am glad you're getting a refund, good for ebay to do the right thing [thumbup]

im not sure how that martin was shipped.. were the strings at full tension? if so.. not good.. also.. if any of youz have worked at a ups, fed x or purolater, . they dont really handle the boxes like they should.. out of a truck tossed on to a conveyor belt, picked up tossed into another trailer, and the cycle goes on.. drop shock on a guitar will do damage.maybe the guitar didnt have a cracked headstock when he sent it for shipping.. and most of these couriers will not insure over a certain amount.. i know in canada.. insurance to the u.s person to person does not exist. vice versa. a person to a business, or business to a person. thats it.and theres still a limit.

Archived