Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting video on Fake LP

Flight959

So now we can tell folks 'if it hasn't got nibs it's genuine'.

Two years ago who'd'a'thunkit?

[smile]

I liked the bit where his mate told the auction house 'You see that £40.000 antique violin you're selling? I made it five years ago...'...............[laugh]

P.

Slightly off-topic...

Crimson Custom Guitars (the reviewers) are offering the best luthier tools this side of Atlantic. (IMHO - of course).

Worth checking out their inventory.

(One minus: they do not answer to my mails :mellow:)

Cheers... Bence

LOL..... "From a couple of feet you cant tell it's a fake." lol.... A blurry picture from 50 ft away is still enough to tell that thing is fake..... If their attention to detail is that guy cant tell a fake Gibby from a few feet away, I'm not sure I would want him near my guitars..... lol

He completely overlooks the big tells of the body hardware and alignments - obviously fake from the case opening on the first shot of the body. No need to get the screw driver out on that one.

Near the end he also takes a somewhat deserved swipe at Gibson QC of late.

Isn't it ironic that Gibson have done away with nibs and the Chinese are starting to do them? For a few hundred pounds you could by the gear off eBay and make this passable as a Gibson to a novice. What he says about the case is wrong too as Gibson are using cheaper cases now.

Slightly off-topic...

Crimson Custom Guitars (the reviewers) are offering the best luthier tools this side of Atlantic. (IMHO - of course).

Worth checking out their inventory.

(One minus: they do not answer to my mails :mellow:)

Cheers... Bence

Yeah he has good stuff.. but its really expensive... (and he does make nice guitars too)

Theres a company called G&W guitars who sell the same stuff for almost half the price..

So say check his page http://crimsonguitars.com/shop/guitar-building-tools/measuring-and-straight-edges

The notched straight edge is almost £30 from him and £17 on amazon from G&W.. His fret rocker is £10 and again the G&W one is £6... and its just a shaped bit of metal... no need for it to be so expensive...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Fret-Rocker/dp/B00E1CHEB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416508147&sr=8-1&keywords=fret+rocker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Notched-Guitar-Straight-24-75-25-50/dp/B00E3BJ8DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416508205&sr=8-1&keywords=notched+straight+edge

Found over a dozen of giveaways within seconds. Funny how the guy says the inlays are plastic - mother of toilet seat. They are plastic on most real Gibsons while Epiphone widely uses mother of pearl. Not a good proof of knowledge from an allegedly renowned professional.

Yeah he has good stuff.. but its really expensive... (and he does make nice guitars too)

Theres a company called G&W guitars who sell the same stuff for almost half the price..

Thank You, Rabs! [thumbup]

I will order some stuff from them next month.

Best wishes... Bence

You may call me crazy, but the very feature of any fancy guitar I got to know in the past, even if made by a very esteemed custom builder, has been a steep price. I easily find better mass-produced ones at any reputable dealer within a few minutes.

In my opinion, it's impossible for a single artisan to keep up with the corporate knowledge and experience of large manufacturers. It would take several human lifespans I think. Furthermore, I doubt they hardly have access to the best timbers available, and have to pay an arm and a leg for woods large manufacturers could buy on a budget in comparison.

All of the handmade artisan guitars I got to know over the years were simply disappointing and honestly not worth any money to me, at least not as a player. Sometimes I felt pushed to the limits of my hypocritical abilities since I didn't want to hurt friends who had bought such mediocre stuff at a fancy price.

Archived