Gibson Brands Forums

Proper humidity and guitar care

fumblefingers

Our weather is always everywhere and the Humidipaks I have been experimenting with held a meeting and marched to my office to complain about the changing weather and how can they keep it at 45% in this ridiculous place..... [tongue] 25% to the left....whhhhoaooops...25% to the right....hold it...45% to the left....what is the normal here?

Kidding, so far they seem to work great and because the humidity goes in and out so much, the packs have kept recharging themselves...so far...

BluesKing777.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did people do it in olden times, like in the '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s...when everyone smoked away, left their guitars out leaning against the TV and had no idea where their children were at 10PM or any other time of the day or night?

I swear I'm the unluckiest SOB alive. Even with careful nurture, my guitars are a little off and in need of hydro or de-hydro... at least Humidipaks show that I'm trying.

How did people do it in olden times, like in the '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s...when everyone smoked away, left their guitars out leaning against the TV and had no idea where their children were at 10PM or any other time of the day or night?

I swear I'm the unluckiest SOB alive. Even with careful nurture, my guitars are a little off and in need of hydro or de-hydro... at least Humidipaks show that I'm trying.

Speaking for myself and my limited awareness of lots of things going on in the 60s and 70s - many of us just played the guitars and didn't notice changes at all. I played outside under cover in 100% humidity during rainstorms without being aware of any issues. I was more concerned with my own imperfections compared to those of the guitar. And, as we all know, some guitars during certain eras - were built like tanks. I don't think they had 'humid paks' and all that new-fangled gear in the music stores. And, obviously, many guitars from the 40s - 70s succumbed to the elements, whereas we would hope more of the "Modern Era" guitars will make it to Vintage Status. I don't worry too much. Leave all 3 hanging on the wall so I can grab one whenever I want. Check the hydrometer a couple of times a day to make sure it's between 40% and 60%, knowing any inside changes will be gradual. If it varies beyond that range, I adjust the room, which is a gradual change, as opposed to putting it in the case for a quick change. And, of course, always use a case when taking it out somewhere. G'Luck

South of Melbourne.

They DO work better in the desert....

We get everything, but the Evap coolers are popular here and the modern versions are efficient - recycle the water used over and over and we are told that it runs on the equivalent power of one light globe......well that was the ad. It has been great adding moisture to my guitars on the low humidity days, and it doesn't make my computer eyes itchy like refrigeration air.

AND

I got the quietest one ever invented for some reason - we have the 'whispering sea breeze' option....so considerate in a block of total inconsiderates!

BluesKing777.

Off topic, but are you in the sandbelt, BK?? One of the great golf locations on earth - my other passion besides guitar.

Here in Canada, I fight high humidity in the summer, though we have just moved to a house with central A/C so that should take care of a lot of the humidity issues...

They didn't take very good care of them... and that's why almost all of those guitars today are either full of repairs, needing repairs, or are simply not around anymore. remember, the only ones we see today are the survivors.

-Keith

They didn't take very good care of them... and that's why almost all of those guitars today are either full of repairs, needing repairs, or are simply not around anymore. remember, the only ones we see today are the survivors.

-Keith

My first acoustic is a survivor, a J-50 that I got new in 1974. I didn't take care of it at all, it sat around the house and was abused by kids and pets. Never even considered things like humidification. The original case was just thin chipboard and provided very little protection.

It is full of repairs, bridge was replaced, cracked neck repaired back in the 1980's. A few years ago it became unplayable and the luthier planed the fingerboard and did a re-fret. Sounds better today than it did 40 years ago. But it looked a lot better 40 years ago. [biggrin]

Off topic, but are you in the sandbelt, BK?? One of the great golf locations on earth - my other passion besides guitar.

Here in Canada, I fight high humidity in the summer, though we have just moved to a house with central A/C so that should take care of a lot of the humidity issues...

Winter here, CBpicker, and I think I might live in the MudBelt.

Sandbelt? Golf? There was a Sandbelt Hotel that had bands years ago, and my younger brother shamed my father and I into never touching a golf club again, but he moved on to Triathlons and tougher tough stuff! There are golf courses everywhere!

Humidity - your central air will probably dry out the house, so be careful and get a decent meter. I have central (gas) heating in Winter and If I leave it on all day and night, the humidity will drop to 25-30%. I found I need to leave the back windows cracked and a bowl of water on the mantelpiece..... Humidipaks in the guitar cases.

BluesKing777.

Archived