Gibson Brands Forums

What Is Wrong With People?

D4RK_4DV3NT

I was in another forum and saw that someone had created a thread titled "Jethro Tull vs Girls Aloud". In the thread he actually asked for opinions as to who had more talent/skill. I just couldn't believe that. Although I had never heard of "Girls Aloud" before, I found that they are British all girl pop group formed in 2002...but there is NO f'ing way they are better than Jethro Tull. And so my question...what is WRONG with people and their taste in music these days??

It changes and varies' date=' your avatar is a great example. IMO that is even uglier than the backwards upside down explorer but it obvious you like that guitar. So its not that I am right or your wrong, different choices for different people.

[/quote']

You do realize the guy's thread was about skill comparison and not which sound one likes more, right? If someone likes this new pop crap, that's their opinion...but personally, I don't see how the skill of Jethro Tull can POSSIBLY be compared to "Girls Aloud"...

Also, the way my guitar looks has nothing to do with it...I could also say that despite how my guitar looks, if you gave this guitar to a guy that plays well, he'd play it just as well as any other guitar. A good guitar player can play regardless of how it looks.

Actually you do not understand my example and the guitar has everything to do with it. Younger people have different tastes' date=' as do non-musicians and musicians. Its a personal choice and to the people polled feel the way they do because they like the individual bands currently playing and have no idea about previous bands. So if I was a younger person I just might feel the same way as the person your speaking about in the thread. You have to remember when Tule was out he was looked upon just like the way your looking at the Girls band. Hendrix was also looked at the same way when he first came out; so its my belief that my example is a good example and your looking at the thread as a musician and not like the generation that listens to pop music and like listening to the Girl Band.

A good example would be a thread on who is the best guitar player in the world, of Rolling Stones top 100 bands of the decade. Who is the best guitar player, first you really can't do this comparison. One of my favorite guitar players and one of the most talented guitar players in the world is Chet Atkins; IMO. But since most have never heard of him everyone here except for those who might know who he is would disagree. You can't compare guitar players or bands properly because to do that you need to compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges; since the listening public does not compare fairly then you end up with disagreeing with some publicly posted threads or top 100 lists.

So that being said I could say that your guitar sucks because..................... and you could say mine suck because.............. so in the end its your person thoughts on the subject; but because you don't agree with them does not mean they are [b']wrong[/b].

I can see what you're saying as far as age goes...I suppose while the majority mainly listen to music of their time, some don't. I'm one of the odd ones. I'm 28, but I listen to music from the 60s to the 80s. I don't really care much about anything beyond that since most of it, to me, lacks creativity, feeling, and talent.

I can also see how you can't really determine who the best guitarist is due to different variables including taste in music, etc.

Despite this, I still cannot see how Jethro Tull can be compared to Girls Aloud. It's like saying, "OMG, The Eagles VS Jonas Brothers!! Who's better?? To me, it's a no-brainer. I suppose I'll just live in my little biased world of truth. haha :-k

I was in another forum and saw that someone had created a thread titled "Jethro Tull vs Girls Aloud". In the thread he actually asked for opinions as to who had more talent/skill. I just couldn't believe that. Although I had never heard of "Girls Aloud" before' date=' I found that they are British all girl pop group formed in 2002...but there is NO f'ing way they are better than Jethro Tull. And so my question...what is WRONG with people and their taste in music these days??[/quote']

I suspect he was just poking fun at the 1989 Grammy Awards where Metallica was expected to win for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" but the award was given to Jethro Tull.

So...

Answer: Nothing is wrong with people and their taste in music. Know your music history and you'll be in on the joke (even if it's weak).

I suspect he was just poking fun at the 1989 Grammy Awards where Metallica was expected to win for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" but the award was given to Jethro Tull.

So...

Answer: Nothing is wrong with people and their taste in music. Know your music history and you'll be in on the joke (even if it's weak).

No, it wasn't a joke. The thread created was based on a blog...and this blog contained a discussion among several people about about British bands. The first guy said he loved Jethro Tull and that Britain has all the best bands. Another guy said no, that they didn't...and the discussion went from there. And from that came the thread involving a comparison between Jethro Tull and Girls Aloud, both British.

Dude get over it' date=' some people have different tastes than you do.[/quote']

Get over yourself, "dude". There's a difference between having genuine taste and just being a "I just wanna fit in with the crowd" robot. You're probably listening to Miley Cyrus and I've offended you.

No' date=' it wasn't a joke. The thread created was based on a blog...and this blog contained a discussion among several people about about British bands. The first guy said he loved Jethro Tull and that Britain has all the best bands. Another guy said no, that they didn't...and the discussion went from there. And from that came the thread involving a comparison between Jethro Tull and Girls Aloud, both British.[/quote']

Do you have a link to the blog? It could be that the writer intended it to be a joke but it spiraled off by other people who weren't aware of the Tull/Metallica/Grammy controversy. Back then, all us metal heads were up in arms about it and it was a pretty hot topic but I suspect it's largely forgotten today since it was 20 years ago.

Do you have a link to the blog? It could be that the writer intended it to be a joke but it spiraled off by other people who weren't aware of the Tull/Metallica/Grammy controversy. Back then' date=' all us metal heads were up in arms about it and it was a pretty hot topic but I suspect it's largely forgotten today since it was 20 years ago.

[/quote']

This is the blog...the conversation has nothing to do with the Metallica incident.

http://smurfkiller921.blogspot.com/2009/01/lulz-im-fun-jethro-tull-vs-girls-aloud.html

I think his guitar is kinda cool looking. As for JT they rock and are extremely talented. I've never heard this British chick band and thus will have to base my comments on gross generalizations which I do often enough to have reputation. Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin, and Joan Jet rocked. Other then them the only chick I know that rocks is the lead singer of my band and she happens to be my wife. Ok, maybe one other group that being Lez Zeppelin. They kick ***.

So since who ever that chick band is in England didn't make the adore mentioned list of chicks that rock, they are not as talented as Jethro Tull.

But then I'm a male chauvinistic pig.

Do you read and understand or do you just keep at it until the world totally agrees with you. Reread what I said; I didn't agree or disagree with that poll. And all things considered Ms Cyrus even at her age is cuter than any dude in J Tule. I'm not offended but you need to get over yourself' date=' I will say this again. People will vote on bands for many different reasons, and what you call a good band could easily be disagreed upon by thousands of people. Again lets use your guitar, what you think is cool looking others might think its as ugly as ugly can be. Your liking a band for what you might think is musicianship could be disagreed upon by so many others. You need to open those eyes and ears; just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are offended. I have never heard a Miley Cyrus tune but in all my examples I provided it does not mean I am right or your wrong. It means you have different tastes than I do, as you also have different tastes from the younger generation. Our grand parents or adults in their generation disliked any thing that could be considered "Rock" because it was devil worship music and the FCC banned loads of those bands on TV. A great example of this would be Elvis and another great example would be KISS. My generation loved KISS as we were growing up but my parents thought this was devil worship music and tried to do the same. Kids my childrens ages think KISS was a joke and listen to Avenge Sevenfold and other popular bands of this generation.

So as I say for the last time; where it might be your vote that Tule is more musical talent than the Girl band there will also be others who disagree with you and your thought process. Please note I have not agreed or disagreed with that forum thread but in your world because I think there can be more than one opinion in regards to music taste you automatically have me in the position that I agree with the comparison of JT vs the Girl Band. Since I have no clue about the other band I can not make a fair comparison.

So chill out and read what I said, our time on this planet is to short for menial positions and assumptions. [/quote']

I understand people have different opinions. You do not have to explain this to me. I'm not Borg.

Also, YouTube is great for developing an opinion on a band you've never heard, and life is not really that short...especially when you're married to the wrong person. :-({|=

By the way, what is your hangup with my guitar? haha

I think it's sexy. I'm gonna go lick it now.

You go do that. I personally have no hang up on the guitar; its a different direction with Gibson. I personally like traditional guitar shapes but in the hands of Zakk when they released Black Rain on those Youtube videos it sounds really nice. Although since it has emg's in it; and guitar would sound as nice.

Yeah, the reason I bought it was because of it's unique shape, limited availability, and the fact I was able to get it for a bit cheaper on eBay. Initially I was going to get a Les Paul. However to me, it's an investment...whether it's value increases or not in time is another story. Since I did buy it, I'm now looking into buying a Les Paul. Yeah!

Archived