Gibson Brands Forums

Was at the Joe Bonnamassa show in Boston last night

kidblast

Great show. Joe just tore it apart. Show was scheduled for 8:00 pm. At 7:59, he was ready to go,

50 minute acoustic set, 15 minute break, set II started right on time, the second set started at 9:00 ended at 10:35 (two encore numbers)

The guy is very professional, No BS what so ever, not a lot of talking. He's got tons of energy, never missed a note, vocal wise or on guitar. The band was great, insanely tight, and the Sound at the Wang Center was excellent. (as compared to the Gardens which is a house of horrors acoustically)

He played Les Pauls most of the electric set, used one of his strat for I think just one song. there were four fender tweeds behind a plexi-glass shield. I would guess they were two vibrolux combos and two bassman's behind them.

He played just about all the tunes from the new album, and quite a bit of the songs from Dust Bowl, and some of his earlier stuff. they KILLED "Slow Gin". one of the nights highlight solos, just amazing. He didn't do "Stop!" which I was waiting to hear. (Oh well!)

JB1_zpserl4vpkt.jpg

Saw him a few years ago at The Grove in Anaheim (CA). It's about a 15,000 seat venue, and as mentioned he's punctual and there's little to no BS. He came out already playing the intro riff to his first song, there were a few "thank you's" in between songs, and at one point a band intro, but other than that, it was 2 hours of solid music. Great show and I'd see him again in a heartbeat.

He's opening up these days with a 50 minute acoustic set.

keyboard player (Reese from SRV's Double Trouble) two guys that play mandolins, banjo, violin, a nyckelharpa (weird looking thing, looked a bit like a combination of an autoharp and violin, bowed not plucked) and a percussionist.

Quite entertaining

I saw him live here in Valencia, Spain just when The Ballad of John Henry CD came out… Was a very small venue, like 300 people max, I was upfront right at the foot of the stage. He put on an amazing show. No nonsense, amazing band and sound. He even did his tribute to Zeppelin. It was such an intimate show that at one point he stepped away from the mic and sang to the people without the help of the PA… I was lucky enough to catch it on video…

Saw him a few years ago at The Grove in Anaheim (CA). It's about a 15,000 seat venue, and as mentioned he's punctual and there's little to no BS. He came out already playing the intro riff to his first song, there were a few "thank you's" in between songs, and at one point a band intro, but other than that, it was 2 hours of solid music. Great show and I'd see him again in a heartbeat.

I concure.

It was great. I was there too. Missed Dennis because I actually walked in at 8:04.

The other time I saw JB was at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana. Real small venue, as he opened for Robben Ford. That was a killer show.

I concure.

It was great. I was there too. Missed Dennis because I actually walked in at 8:04.

Yeah, we stopped by your seats about ten minutes before showtime. Then we just parked it in our seats. Again, what a great show.

Seen him live last month in Greenville, South Carolina and it was absolutely incredible! Fantastic concert! Except some lady cussing me and my friend out for yelling the typical, "Yeah!" and "Woo!", which A BUNCH of people were doing aside from us, haha. Would see him again in a heartbeat. [thumbup]

Just saw him again in Albany NY (which is only an hour and a half from his home in Utica NY, his mom and dad and fam were in the front row)) He was playing in local Albany bars in his early days minutes from my house,It is always incredible to see the transition from him humping his own gear in and out of Pauly's Hotel back then, to the production he now puts together. 2 custom painted brand new big rigs for hauling gear as well as 4 custom fully decked out tour buses. But sadly with age/time he is certainly changing his rep since the beginning to the present tour that is geared more toward the cork sniffers than the oldschool faithful hard drivin blues brothren IMO. Not much of his singnature blues shredding going on this tour, more in the way of sustained notes and sweet vibrato, along with more attention to his vocals, and this time he incorperates a small horn section (wasn't into that, again more for the cork sniffers I presume) and Reese's Hammond/leslie was over the top for much of the show,( thought last year with the dream theater/country communion keyboardist was way better , again IMO) The show seems to now feature his accompanyment as much as Joe blazin his Lesters. Although I will say that his drummer Tal was beyond awesome as usual. I was/am still all about the shred blues he can do with ease , and I want to hear those 1/4 million dollar 1956 les pauls played through a row of vintage Marshall plexi halfstacks, not 4 Fender combos. As for the 10 song acoustic opening set, that has been the norm for the past 3 years and this time he does "Slow Train" acousticly,with leads done by the violinist again although it was a tastey version , this is a staple tune of his and begs for those killer leads you just cant match on a violin and Gibson Jumbo. So as you can probably tell I am ready to hear him play/sing in the way that established him and brought him to where he is today . So Joe if you are listening,when I see you next year, and I will , Please, PLEASE bring the stacks and Lesters and give us a full on Rockin evening as only you can.

Archived