Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tribute strange tuning beheviour

Raff

I discovered strange tuning behavior of my new Les Paul Tribute 60 Epiphone. When I tune guitar sitting with it , it is tuned. When I lay guitar on the back side on the chair, some string get out of the tune (little sharp). Is it normal? Did you tried it with yours guitars? It also little change when it is on the stand.

//Raff

But how is with other guitars, are they in tune in different position. If you seat ,lay, hold it or it is on stand? I would like to compare with other Epiphones and Gibsons. Did you tested tune the guitar, put it on the stand and check the tuning again, put it with only body on the chair and check the tuning again? What are your results?

But how is with other guitars, are they in tune in different position. If you seat ,lay, hold it or it is on stand? I would like to compare with other Epiphones and Gibsons. Did you tested tune the guitar, put it on the stand and check the tuning again, put it with only body on the chair and check the tuning again? What are your results?

I don't have any problems with my guitars staying in tune in any way they are sitting .

Are you leaning the guitar up against the chair with the neck? As long as it stays in tune while playing you don't have a problem just retune the guitar...have you changed the strings? The stock strings shipped on Epis are pretty bad once they make across the ocean and through all the handling.

Is the chair near a heater/radiator or cold/hot window. Temperature changes may effect the tuning...well, that has been my experience...changes in humidity also...I just retune, when necessary, which is, whenever I pick up a guitar that hasn't been played for a while. Small "changes" effect tuning stability in all instruments. Look and listen to an orchestra tuning up at the start of a performance...all instruments need a tune up, some sooner than others. That's just the way it is.

I discovered strange tuning behavior of my new Les Paul Tribute 60 Epiphone. When I tune guitar sitting with it , it is tuned. When I lay guitar on the back side on the chair, some string get out of the tune (little sharp). Is it normal? Did you tried it with yours guitars? It also little change when it is on the stand.

//Raff

This is not strange but absolutely normal. All of my guitars including my Epiphone Tribute LP show the same effect. The gravity of neck respectively body will affect neck relief and thus tuning pitches.

Very thick necks with very heavy string gauges are affected less, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

This is not strange but absolutely normal.

I agree, especially with electrics, since the strings are at fairly low tension. Any significant change in the positioning of the guitar puts a slightly different torque on the neck, which slightly changes the tuning of the strings.

Thank you for your answer , it was really big help. My Ibanez guitars have heavier gauges than Epiphone and therefore it is not so visible. Great.

I agree, especially with electrics, since the strings are at fairly low tension. Any significant change in the positioning of the guitar puts a slightly different torque on the neck, which slightly changes the tuning of the strings.

Archived