Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Small Body Guitar Association..........

onewilyfool

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

Some wonderful little Gibsons here, thought I'd add mine. It's an '08 Nick Lucas 12 Fret custom, #1 of 6 made for NAMM - Madagasar Rosewood B&S, adirondack spruce top, hide glue. I grin like a madman whenever I open the case.

Nick-1.jpg

Nick-5.jpg

Clayfingers

Hi there,

Some wonderful little Gibsons here, thought I'd add mine. It's an '08 Nick Lucas 12 Fret custom, #1 of 6 made for NAMM - Madagasar Rosewood B&S, adirondack spruce top, hide glue. I grin like a madman whenever I open the case.

Nick-1.jpg

Nick-5.jpg

Clayfingers

Wow!. That's REALLY nice!

Yes - mahogany back and sides.

No - the original finish was a dark "tobaccoburst". My Dad bought this guitar used in the early 1940s from his buddy Don (whose initials are still carved on the case). I strummed my first chords on this as a kid and it was given to me by Dad shortly before he died in 2003. By the mid 1960s the original finish was pretty beat from playwear etc so he had someone strip it and refinish it natural around 1966 or so. Everything else is original except for a replaced bridge.

Yes - mahogany back and sides.

No - the original finish was a dark "tobaccoburst". My Dad bought this guitar used in the early 1940s from his buddy Don (whose initials are still carved on the case). I strummed my first chords on this as a kid and it was given to me by Dad shortly before he died in 2003. By the mid 1960s the original finish was pretty beat from playwear etc so he had someone strip it and refinish it natural around 1966 or so. Everything else is original except for a replaced bridge.

Aww, I was jealous anyway, but when I hear stories of people coming into such wonderful instruments through their families, and have a connection to them, I really regret that there's no history of guitar playing in my background. My uncle did lend me his 60s Eko, that had a bolt on neck and locked a bit like a hummingbird with no birds, that he never learnt to play, but thats the extent of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a HG-00 - sunburst finish,kluson tuners, tortoise shell pickguard. I've looked through the pictures and seen several guitars that look identical to my guitar - with one exception. My guitar is fretless. Has anybody seen a fretless model before?

This came and went in about 30 days. Sold it to a young guy who seemed pretty stoked to get it. All good but it didn't quite do it for me. Got a little Martin 0-16 NY that's the bomb.

DSC_0012.jpg

That is nice and the young guy who got it from you is rightfully stoked. I have one and will have it 'til the day I die.

I have to admit, I know I have my problem.....lol....small body guitars are my weakness, I've been gassing for a vintage L-00 Gibby for years, ever since I played my friends '33.....which is just a gem, which he will NOT part with....lol....They say to admit you have a problem, is the first step....lol....now maybe Suburude will help me find one, that guy has the Midas touch for L-00 guitars......so, here goes the quest!!!

I have to admit, I know I have my problem.....lol....small body guitars are my weakness, I've been gassing for a vintage L-00 Gibby for years, ever since I played my friends '33.....which is just a gem, which he will NOT part with....lol....They say to admit you have a problem, is the first step....lol....now maybe Suburude will help me find one, that guy has the Midas touch for L-00 guitars......so, here goes the quest!!!

I am looking too.

Here are some pics I keep staring at :

http://www.garysguitars.net/catalog/gibson-other-acoustics

http://www.vintage-instruments.com/navigate/catidx5.htm

Regards BK.

P.S. Fullers will order a NEW black custom L00 for approx 2,500. Save on neck resets etc.

BK ....lol...why did you send me those links??????? NOW, I want a Banner J-45 TOO!!!!....lol.....these prices are precisely why I don't have one.....lol

I am looking too.

Here are some pics I keep staring at :

http://www.garysguitars.net/catalog/gibson-other-acoustics

http://www.vintage-instruments.com/navigate/catidx5.htm

Regards BK.

P.S. Fullers will order a NEW black custom L00 for approx 2,500. Save on neck resets etc.

• 3 months later...

A picture of my 1995 L-00 and my 1937 L-00 Legend...

I've had the Legend since the end of April and she has become "my guitar" - it took awhile to get used to the V-neck but, lordy, she is one amazing guitar - definitely my keeper...

Congratualtions double0blues

Do you have any vids - I would love to see/hear a comparison of the 2 guitars? After playing my mangy dog-eared LG1, my Blues King is totally another world in sound and finish.

BluesKing777.

Congratualtions double0blues

Do you have any vids - I would love to see/hear a comparison of the 2 guitars? After playing my mangy dog-eared LG1, my Blues King is totally another world in sound and finish.

BluesKing777.

Hey BluesKing777 - no, I don't have any videos - but I can tell you that sound-wise there is absolutely no comparison between the two...

I bought the L-00 reissue new back in 1996 so I've been playing it now for 15 years or so - and while I love it - it can not stand up to the Legend...

The Legend has it all - volume, sustain, playability - great bottom and terrific highs - I'm a fingerpicker and to me it's a perfect guitar in every way...

Hey BluesKing777 - no, I don't have any videos - but I can tell you that sound-wise there is absolutely no comparison between the two...

I bought the L-00 reissue new back in 1996 so I've been playing it now for 15 years or so - and while I love it - it can not stand up to the Legend...

The Legend has it all - volume, sustain, playability - great bottom and terrific highs - I'm a fingerpicker and to me it's a perfect guitar in every way...

Great!

Did you try and compare some vintage L00's first? A new Legend seems dearer than an old one, but no repair dramas. I have been watching for a while, but have blown the funds on a LG0 and a LG1 from eBay.

I ended up trying Medium Mastertones on the Blues King and it jumped to another level. Gibson recommends Lights, but it looks fine so far after 3 months or so. I would be hesitant to put them on your new Legend just yet..

BluesKing777.

Great!

Did you try and compare some vintage L00's first? A new Legend seems dearer than an old one, but no repair dramas. I have been watching for a while, but have blown the funds on a LG0 and a LG1 from eBay.

I ended up trying Medium Mastertones on the Blues King and it jumped to another level. Gibson recommends Lights, but it looks fine so far after 3 months or so. I would be hesitant to put them on your new Legend just yet..

BluesKing777.

I had mediums on the reissue for years but after sending it back to Gibson to have the bridge reglued I went back to lights and I substitute a 13 for the high E instead of using the 12...

There were no original L-00s around to try so I trusted in the recommendations of others and went for the Legend - plus, as I've said before, the price I paid for a brand new one was too good to turn down...

I have number 6 of 300 for the Keb Mo sig model......

The picture here is not very true though, as there's no visible red to the naked eye. Much more coffee to toffee than the amount of visible red in the pic suggests. Lovely small guitar.

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

Archived