Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Small Body Guitar Association..........

onewilyfool

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

What an awesome thread!!! I must have missed this when it first came out. I love small body Gibsons and as of last Friday, April 3rd, I now can join the "club"! Woo Hoo..... My 1964 Gibson LG1. Has a replaced bridge, nut, saddle and pins. Everything on the inside looked good to me, but I am going to have my luthier/tech take a look at it in the next week or so when I may be willing to part with it for a few days. The saddle is so low on the high e string that it barely clears the bridge. Action is about 3/16" at the 12th fret on both the high and low E string. It has some sort of pickup (UST) but no battery on the inside so I assume it is passive. Way to loud on the upper strings and barely able to hear the bass strings when I plugged it in the other night. I bought it to use as a straight acoustic but may have my guy install a K & K Mini when he does his work to it, just for fun.

LG1Front.jpg

LG1Standing.jpg

(Edit... I took this recently and liked it so much, I had to add it to the thread!)

lg1Bench.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my HG-00 converted for regular playing. No FON or serial legible. From 1937 to 1942?

Great sounding guitar and in great shape except for a repaired crack on back.

I love playing it! The wide neck is great and the V-shape suits fingerpicking.

As you see on the pics I bought it from Big Jim's guitars... don't have any pics take myself yet, though I have had it a few years!

Cheers

BERT in Sweden

hg00.jpg

hg00a.jpg

• 1 year later...

So I was searching around looking for information on my 1936 LG-0, and stumbled onto this topic/forum.

I have to say - y'all have some amazing guitars! There are some fantastic collections in this topic.

I figured I'd join up and add my own to the mix. A long while back I had a Martin 00-18, 1963. I sold it to a friend in Europe who wanted it as an investment. I figured I could find another in the States, but when I looked none of the 00-18's had the amazing tone of the one I'd sold. I went to Carmel Music in CA, where the owner brought out at least 7 00-18's for me to play. Not satisfied, he had an idea and disappeared to the back room for a little while.

He returned with a 1936 Gibson. Now bear in mind I went there for a Martin - but when I played this LG-0, I was blown away. The bass boomed, and the independence of high and bass notes made playing finger-style a dream.

I've since had fretwork done, replaced the tuning pegs (they were all in very poor condition and several were bent) and had a new bridge carved as the original lifted up and split. While I was there, I had bone saddle & nut carved and the end result is an extremely playable and fantastic sounding guitar.

I love my Gibson - and about 10 years after obtaining it, my friend in Europe sold me back my Martin for 10% - he made his investment and I got back my baby.

Without further ado, my 1936 LG-0:

11936gibsonlg00.jpg

31936gibsonlg00.jpg

I was a bit confused at one point, as all the LG-0's I'd seen were bare bones, with no binding, no inlay, nothing while mine has pearl inlay dot fret markers, and a nice binding top and back, as well as inlay around the sound hole. I was told by a guitar dealer a while ago that in the early years, the LG-0 was the high end and the LG-1 the low end, but at some point in the 1940s they switched that around. Can anyone validate that? If that's not the case, then might this be something other than an LG-0?

Regardless she plays beautifully and I'm sure proud to have her. :-

might be taboo on a Gibson forum, but here's the Martin I was talking about...

martin00181.jpg

Hi all,

Was hoping that one of you knowledgable folks could help me to figure out what I've actually got. All I ampositive about is the year (1936) and that it's a Gibson.

When I bought it, the shop owner at Carmel Music stated that it was an LG-0, however I'm starting to question that. It looks a lot like the LG-00, and ever the LG1. Or is it possible that it was a custom order LG-0 with higher end options like the pearl dot fret markers, sound hole inlay & top/back bindings? or was the previous info I'd received accurate about Gibson flip-flopping the high & low end models between the 30's & 40's?

Any information provided would be most appreciated. I'd love to know for sure one way or another. I can certainly post additional pics if that would help.

Thanks in advance, & I'm sure glad to have found this place/topic. [biggrin]

Hi all' date='

Was hoping that one of you knowledgable folks could help me to figure out what I've actually got. All I ampositive about is the year (1936) and that it's a Gibson. [/quote']

A '36 is seven years too old to be an LG-anything. The standard table for distinguishing between the '30s-era L-00, L-0, L-1, and L-2 can be found HERE. Given the fact that Gibson is Gibson, there's not always a well-defined answer to the question "What model is this?", but you should find the info helpful.

-- Bob R

A '36 is seven years too old to be an LG-anything. The standard table for distinguishing between the '30s-era L-00' date=' L-0, L-1, and L-2 can be found HERE. Given the fact that Gibson is Gibson, there's not always a well-defined answer to the question "What model is this?", but you should find the info helpful.

-- Bob R

Wow - ask & ye shall receive!

Thanks Bob - I'll check it out and will post my findings.

Archived